sinn 356

Thread: sinn 356

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sinn 356

Hey guys,

I've long been a fan of Sinn, but have yet to pull the trigger on one. I'm looking to get a new watch in the coming months, and would LOVE to get a Sinn, but I'm not sure about the sizing on some of them.

Basically, I've narrowed my choice of watch (somewhat) down to...

Sinn 356 or 356 Copper
    Sinn 556
    Sinn U1
    Longines Master Collection 44mm Chrono
    Longines Master Collection Power Reserve

My main concern is the size of the Sinns. I'm about 5'11", 195lbs, muscular build. I've gotten used to wearing big divers (Seiko Samurai 44mm, Seiko Sawtooth 44mm), and am curious how the Sinn 356 will look on a 6.8-7" wrist. I understand that the crystal size plays the most important part in creating an impression of size, so I was wondering what is the diameter of the crystal on the 356, 556, and U1? I've read that the 356 was 35mm, which would be great, but from looking at the pictures, i find that hard to believe.

Also, is the case of the 356 II brushed, or is that a special order? I will be getting the acrylic version for either 356.

Anyway, wrist shots will of course be appreciated, and any input on any of the watches is welcome too!

Thanks!

Re: sinn 356

Quote Originally Posted by Echizen View Post
    what is the diameter of the crystal on the 356 Also, is the case of the 356 II brushed, or is that a special order? I will be getting the acrylic version for either 356.
    I just measured my 356 (using calipers) and the crystal diameter is 33mm.
    I am 5'6 with 6.5" wrists and it looks just right on me but given your wrist size and build and that you wear 44mm watches, I think the 356 will likely look too small (tiny?) for you.

Here is a review I wrote for the 356 with wrist pics...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=123034

The 556 is about the same length and width as the 356, so it may be too small for you as well.

I would go with the U1. The 103 looks similar to the 356 but is 41mm, so that is also a consideration.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

I like the 356 review and also purchased a 356 on acrylic. My 356 hands lineup perfectly. I think kontai69 did a great job on the review. I am not as big as you are, but 356 does not look small on the wrist, but smaller then the Seiko will 'wear' much smaller.

Have you thought about any of the EZM models or UX? Unfortunately, I do not have a side by side of 356 and EZM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not sure if this helps. Beat up 656 on exactly 7" wrist

Respectfully,
    Paul

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

Here is comparison shot of 356, Rolex Sub and EZM3:

Hey guys,

Thanks SOOO much for the wrist shots and comparison pics, they're just what I needed! Now, I might be being greedy now, but do any of you have a wrist shot from a few feet away? I find this is the best representative of the size of a watch.

Once again, THANKS!!!! I just might get the 356 II.... hahaha!

Sorry no wrist shot, but I am a similar size to you, maybe a bit bigger, with a wrist of just under 7.5. I went through exactly the same thing before buying mine. I definitely dont find the 356 too small. It is obviously a personal preference, but for me i find the size just right. My other main watch is a Rolex sub, and I wore it almost constantly for the last 5 years, and I have to say, the 356 has pushed it aside. I actually prefer the 356 now. The size and fit are nicer, it is more comfortable, and I love the look. I have hardly taken it off since I got it over a month ago. You have got to bear in mind, it is still not a small watch, just smaller than some of the other Sinns, some of which are huge! It is a still a heavy thick set, well built solid watch. I also went for acrylic and like the feel. It does, and has scratched though. I have polished these out with toothpaste, but actually now I am not too bothered. It really is a fantastic watch, and I would definitely get one again. The leather strap looks great with it as well, especially once broken in a bit. A very classic look.
    Here is a pic of mine, I have posted it before so sorry of you have already seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by offshoredriver View Post
    I also went for acrylic and like the feel. It does, and has scratched though. I have polished these out with toothpaste, but actually now I am not too bothered.
    You might want to try Polywatch to remove scratches on the acrylic crystal. Works waaaay better than toothpaste, which leaves noticable swirl marks.
    Anyways, I too am anamored by the 356. It actually is the favorite watch in my collection. It just looks and feels so right.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

Quote Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post
    It just looks and feels so right.
    Seems like Sinn has got the case just right, coupled with a classic look......

My Sinn 356 has become my everyday watch. And sometimes my going out watch, as well. The case w/o crown is about 38 mm, which for me is no problem (wrist is about 7.5-7.75 inches). The one thing I had to get used to was the watch's thickness. It's a good 12-13 mm thick with crystal. Definitely not dress watch thin. It's also a very heavy watch. And that acrylic crystal can't take much abuse, that's for sure. Don't do yard work with it, or take out the recyclables or anything similar, or you will be buffing out the scratches. I use auto rubbing compound and a soft cloth or chamois to buff them out. Works great. I would definitely consider a sapphire crystal upgrade. Oh, yeah, one more thing, a red Hirsch carbon strap really makes the watch pop. I've put away leather because I really like the feel of the carbon strap on a heavy watch like this. Especially on hot days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information