Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8

    Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    I recently acquired my first grown-up watch, a Sinn 356 and in my ignorance I did not check the time that the watch was set to when I was setting the date/time. As such, it is possible that I changed it during the "danger time" between 9 pm - 3 am, which the manual states "a correction during this time may cause damage to the movement.

    After observing my Sinn for a few days, it seems that the day/date exhibits strange behaviour and misalignment - for example, at around 11:13 pm, the day/date starts to change. At around 11:41 pm, it changes slightly more. (see pictures)

    My question is: is it likely that I damaged my movement? And if so, should I bring it to my local watch repair shop to have it serviced? Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Name:  BJHDOk7.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  1.97 MB

    Name:  4MA8mVy.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  2.43 MB

  2. #2
    Member JacobC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,274

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Looks like it'll need repair, date actuator likely is damaged

  3. #3
    Member jarlleif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    345

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Is it not working or simply changing over the time span of a few hours? Valjoux chronographs donít instantly click over but take a few hours to slowly change around midnight.
    ten13th likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Sinner_666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    138

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Whatís the exact issue? Are you worried because the day and date are not clicking over fully or that it takes 30-45 minutes for them to do so?

    If itís the latter, my 356 takes about that same time to click over. The changeover in the Sellita SW500/Valjoux movement isnít supposed to be instant.

    Sometimes, the date on my Sinn 356 doesnít change over properly but will the next day. This doesnít happen very often and does not indicate a serious problem with the mechanism.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    masqueman likes this.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    347

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Yeah.... if it ends up showing the correct day/date (centered correctly in the windows) in the morning you are probably fine.
    watchhunter72 likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Geof3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Yeah, that is normal. The day/date changes "gradually" in that movement. As mentioned, if it is displaying the correct day/date overall, its fine. Setting the time isn't an issue in the 9pm-3am window. Just avoid the date change.
    watchhunter72 likes this.
    Too many flipped...

  8. #7
    Member watchhunter72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    171

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Indeed - if you set the time on a V7750 (i.e. crown in the outermost position that drives time hands directly) no worries even if you get to change the date while doing so.
    Actually, that is the way to do so to ensure that you only use the quick-set position in a time of the day that is suitable. If you don't know whether it's 9 AM or PM, adjust the time and move it past 12 o'clock in time-setting mode by turning the time hands: if it's midnight the day and date will change, then proceed till e.g. 6 AM and then adjust the date if needed with the quick set.

    As long as day and date are set properly automatically after midnight, your watch is fine. The V7750 date change does start very early - you'll notice the first misalignment in the day and date windows as early as 10.30 PM. Furthermore sometimes it does not happen simultaneously: I had one where the day changed 10 to midnight, and the date 5 minutes past. So all in all don't get mad - if it still works, it's high likely youd did not do any damage.
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio
    Geof3 likes this.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Thanks for all the replies and input.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarlleif View Post
    Is it not working or simply changing over the time span of a few hours? Valjoux chronographs donít instantly click over but take a few hours to slowly change around midnight.
    Whatís the exact issue? Are you worried because the day and date are not clicking over fully or that it takes 30-45 minutes for them to do so?

    If itís the latter, my 356 takes about that same time to click over. The changeover in the Sellita SW500/Valjoux movement isnít supposed to be instant.

    Sometimes, the date on my Sinn 356 doesnít change over properly but will the next day. This doesnít happen very often and does not indicate a serious problem with the mechanism.

    From my observation, it fully changes the day BEFORE 12 am at around 11:45 pm (shows it's TUE before it's actually Tuesday) and it gradually changes the date from around 11:45 pm - 12 am (so you can see half of the previous and next date around this period of time). So the day and date does not click over instantly nor do they seem to be 'synchronized' in when they roll over.

    Yeah.... if it ends up showing the correct day/date (centered correctly in the windows) in the morning you are probably fine.
    Yeah, that is normal. The day/date changes "gradually" in that movement. As mentioned, if it is displaying the correct day/date overall, its fine. Setting the time isn't an issue in the 9pm-3am window. Just avoid the date change.
    At 12:02 AM it shows the correct day and date. In the morning and for most of the day it shows day and date correctly and centred in the windows.

    Would just like to know if this is normal behaviour for a Valjoux movement or if I damaged the movement from possibly changing the date during the danger period. Thanks again.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Quote Originally Posted by watchhunter72 View Post
    Indeed - if you set the time on a V7750 (i.e. crown in the outermost position that drives time hands directly) no worries even if you get to change the date while doing so.
    Actually, that is the way to do so to ensure that you only use the quick-set position in a time of the day that is suitable. If you don't know whether it's 9 AM or PM, adjust the time and move it past 12 o'clock in time-setting mode by turning the time hands: if it's midnight the day and date will change, then proceed till e.g. 6 AM and then adjust the date if needed with the quick set.

    As long as day and date are set properly automatically after midnight, your watch is fine. The V7750 date change does start very early - you'll notice the first misalignment in the day and date windows as early as 10.30 PM. Furthermore sometimes it does not happen simultaneously: I had one where the day changed 10 to midnight, and the date 5 minutes past. So all in all don't get mad - if it still works, it's high likely youd did not do any damage.
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio
    Thanks for the reply Fabrizio. As I said before, I set the DATE directly on my V7750 (crown in second position) without noting what time my watch was displaying - so I may or may not have damaged the movement by setting it in this danger zone. The day and date are set properly after 12 am, but as I mentioned in my post above, there is a misalignment of both the day and date windows that starts in and around 11:45 pm - 12 am. So your words are very reassuring as the behaviour I am observing seems consistent with the behaviour of a normal V7750 movement.

  11. #10
    Member jarlleif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    345

    Re: Sinn 356 possibly damaged movement

    Quote Originally Posted by phosej View Post
    Would just like to know if this is normal behaviour for a Valjoux movement or if I damaged the movement from possibly changing the date during the danger period. Thanks again.
    I think each movement is a little different in terms of when exactly they start changing over or complete the date switch. I wouldnít worry about it! Enjoy the watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 3
      Last Post: February 1st, 2014, 23:39
    2. Sinn 356 Sa (Sapphire front and back, highly decorated movement)
      By Top Cat in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 12th, 2012, 03:50
    3. Replies: 12
      Last Post: January 18th, 2010, 23:15
    4. Replies: 5
      Last Post: October 23rd, 2009, 20:29
    5. Sinn 356 movement accuracy?
      By es335 in forum Sinn
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: April 2nd, 2008, 06:33

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts