Sinn 356 vs Speedmaster Pro
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sinn 356 vs Speedmaster Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 356 vs Speedmaster Pro

I have been browsing this web site for a long time but this is my first post in the Sinn forum, I have also posted a similar query in the Omega forum, hope the mods don't object to cross-posting but I want to hear peoples thoughts from a different perspective.

I am on the verge of buying my first decent watch and have narrowed it down to either a Speedy Pro or a Sinn Fleigler 356, and I would be interested in other people’s comments on the relative merits of each model.

I obviously find both watched to be aesthetically pleasing and am weighing up the history and character of the Speedmaster against the 'differentness' of the Sinn.

One of the thing that appeals to me about the 356 is the rarity, you can see a Speedmaster in every high street jewellers, however it is this very rarity which is holding me back from buying one as I have never seen one in real life.

We only use 10% of our brains. Imagine what we could accomplish if we just used the other 60%.

Re: Sinn 356 vs Speedmaster Pro

I've owned both. Both are good watches but very different: auto vs handwind, size - the speedy is 42mm and the 356 is 38mm. The speedy has a clean dial with no date and the 356 has the typical 7750 day/date layout. There is also a HUGE price difference, but I guess you know that.

I wouldn't say the Sinn is "different". It's a typical 7750 layout in a Flieger style, somewhat like the IWC 3706, which I also used to own. I enjoyed both watches. Probably enjoyed the Speedy more to be honest. I think it comes down to preference and budget.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

I own both and I lean towards the 356, although I prefer it to be slightly larger - 40 / 41 mm would have been just nice.... I am the opposite from you - I like to wear reliable watches that not many people own.

My Speedy pro has been in the "workshop" twice and my 356 none - altho the 356 is a year older (from purchase)...
    The Speedy has a better bracelet that appears to be just a wee bit better quality

I think it all boils down to preference ... some people I know think the 356 looks like a wanna be - but I don't agree....

Do have a look at the 356 in flesh - you will like it.
    In the company of Sinners -
    103 Hd, 142 Ti , 142 Sch, EZM1 LE/3/4, 356, 900, U1, U1 Black, U2, 6100 Regulateur, Lufft-Mechanica.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys, some good sounding advice which is much appreciated, especially as you have both owned both watches.

I may have worded my original post poorly, when I refered to the "differentness" of the 356 I meant uncommon as opposed to unorthodox. it is the relative scarcity of this watch which is holding me back from taking the plunge having not seen one in real life.

I am aware that there is a considerable price difference between the two but the speedy pro is within my budget.

I am leaning slightly closer to the Sinn than the Speedy at the moment but it is a close run thing. If I do go ahead with the Sinn it will be the copper coloured version, as that will allow me to get a Speedy Pro in the future :-D.

Any thoughts on strap versus bracelet?

Not a bad dilemma to have trying to decide between two great watches, thanks again for the advice.
    We only use 10% of our brains. Imagine what we could accomplish if we just used the other 60%.

Pics of both

I think I prefer it on a strap.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    mitadoc likes this.
    Wear what you like.

Thumbs Up Re: Sinn 356 vs Speedmaster Pro

WOW! Flieger looks wonderful in brown leather

I made up my mind , decided to take a chacne & placed an order for the copper 356 on a leather strap this morning despite never having set eyes on one before. The UK authorised agent has agreed to take it back subject to a re-stocking fee and shipping fee if I decide that it is not for me.

Here's hoping it lives up to expectations, thanks again for all your advice.

Hmm I would have gone for the more classic black face rather than the copper which may or may not grow on you....
    I would go for the strap personally...

Good Luck ! Hope you enjoy the watch!
    In the company of Sinners -
    103 Hd, 142 Ti , 142 Sch, EZM1 LE/3/4, 356, 900, U1, U1 Black, U2, 6100 Regulateur, Lufft-Mechanica.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Ah, the copper dialed 356 is a grail watch for me! I think it's better on leather-- the Sinn bracelet to me has a too modern/high-tech look that I don't feel goes with the classic dial on the 356, especially the copper version.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

The Flieger has landed. It was delivered about 15 minutes ago and on first impressions I am glad I took a chance on buying unseen.
    Last edited by smoz; August 22nd, 2006 at 11:40.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information