WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sinn 556 and Question

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  jtm733 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. I've been stalking WUS for about a year before taking the plunge on a Sinn 556.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Metal Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Sorry for the crummy pics. Anyway, I'm really happy with the purchase. I think that the Sinn 556 is versatile enough to wear with a suit, jeans, or flip-flops. But my wife's criticism is that it looks like any other nice watch that costs $200. Unless you stalk the WUS forums, you're unlikely to know the Sinn brand, and her argument is why spend $1000 or more on a watch unless people know that it's an expensive watch? Her claim is that we should buy $200 watches until we have enough money to get an Omega or Rolex or some other brand that everyone knows is expensive.

Like I said, I'm still happy with the 556, but didn't really have a persuasive response for her about what makes the 556 worth $800+ more than any other watch with a black face and metal bracelet. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Her claim is that we should buy $200 watches until we have enough money to get an Omega or Rolex or some other brand that everyone knows is expensive.
When I see an Omega or Rolex or even a TAG on someone's wrist the first question that pops in my mind "Is it real or a replica?" Rolex feels mass produced to me, expensive and very easy to get, just look on watchrecon.com, it seems to be dominated by Rolexes for sale.

I personally like quality brands off the beaten path. I know they are excellent time pieces, they look good to me and that's all that matters. I don't buy them for others, I buy them for myself to enjoy. If you buy them for others, get a good replica and let them stare at it, they won't know the difference anyway.

The less known brands may make for good conversation too if someone compliments the look of your watch.

#8 ·
Welcome to the light, Bro. Your new 556 is one of my all time favorites. There's something to be said for understated elegance.

You could tell your wife you picked Sinn because it makes you happy, not to impress people you don't even know.
So right! Sorry I´m talking about "wrong" watches in this (Sinn-)forum, but gotta say - When I bought my Rolex GMT Master many years ago, quite many people thought that I want to brag with it, brag about owning a rolex. No. I can well hide it inside my sleeve and feel warm, satisfied feeling "I do have it in my possession..". Or I am sitting on my cough just looking it. Seriously no need to show -or "prove"- for anybody anything.

Just say you wife something like "honey, it´s the quality" and resale value or something like that..

Next I´m looking for Sinn 556 A or Sinn U1.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
mebro2 said:
Hi, everyone. I've been stalking WUS for about a year before taking the plunge on a Sinn 556.

Sorry for the crummy pics. Anyway, I'm really happy with the purchase. I think that the Sinn 556 is versatile enough to wear with a suit, jeans, or flip-flops. But my wife's criticism is that it looks like any other nice watch that costs $200. Unless you stalk the WUS forums, you're unlikely to know the Sinn brand, and her argument is why spend $1000 or more on a watch unless people know that it's an expensive watch? Her claim is that we should buy $200 watches until we have enough money to get an Omega or Rolex or some other brand that everyone knows is expensive.

Like I said, I'm still happy with the 556, but didn't really have a persuasive response for her about what makes the 556 worth $800+ more than any other watch with a black face and metal bracelet. Thoughts?
If your wife is like mine she will never understand, just like we don't understand why one handbag is better than others, they are all "bags" that hold stuff why spend $1000 when you could spend $30 at target? That being said all watches have dials, crowns, hands, etc. so arguably they all look the same ;)

I think that the only watch even close to the 556 might be like an explorer or something not a $200 seiko, but that may just be me.

#5 ·
I think that the argument against $1000+ watches is that the material that they use (generally) is the same quality steel, crystal, watch hands, etc as say a $200 Swiss Army quartz watch (same for the lower end Rolexes and Omegas); and the quartz watch keeps better time. Therefore, the reason to spend thousands of dollars on a watch is not the quality, which is the same as a cheaper quartz watch; rather, it is so that people look at the watch and know that you spent thousands of dollars on it. So if very few people know Sinn or similar other brands, then why spend the money if few people know that it's an expensive watch and a similar quality watch is a small fraction of the price?

Personally, I think that Rolexes are kind of pretentious and the whole idea of spending thousands of dollars just to show that you have thousands to spend is about as vain and shallow as someone can get. But that brings you full circle to the original question.

But all this aside, I love the Sinn 556. And can you really put a price tag on that?

#6 · (Edited)
First off, a female's brain is wired differently. If she's the type that's into fashion (ie. LV, Gucci, Hermes) accessories like handbags, shoes, diamonds... well... let's not go there shall we? LOL.

Your Sinn is made in Germany, has double-AR coating, housed in top grade ETA2824 movement. None of these are found on a $200 Swiss Army quartz watch that is made in cheap labor country, mineral crystal, $5 quartz movement.

You do realize you can flip over your 556 and show your wife that's inside the watch right?

#7 ·
to be fair, the reason to spend thousands of dollars on a watch IS the quality. accuracy is only one measure of quality, in which case the quartz watch wins every time. but there is inherent quality in the craftsmanship that enables nothing but moving parts and kinetic energy to measure the time so precisely. that, i think, is what WISs love about mechanical watches. if it really was all about accuracy, we could just check our cell phones.

of course, even the very best watch companies are not particularly well known. VC, PP, JLC, AL&S, etc. Give me one of them over a rolex any day.

what's most important about your relationship with the sinn is that you know that it's a good watch. because sinn doesn't spend a lot of money on marketing, the purchase price more accurately reflects the watch itself. in other words, sinn = more watch for your money.

#12 ·
While I love my 556 A, it has done nothing to assuage my desire for a GMT Master or Mark XVII. It has nothing to do with accuracy or even "quality," however that's defined. Your wife is right that a $200 watch is every bit as good as a 556. My Seiko has so far been more accurate than my Sinn. But the truth is, watches for the collector, WIS, whatever, are not about accuracy or quality alone. It's about something else. Much of this other is intangible and considered beneath contempt by those not suffering from the same fever. It's the "dark side" of watches that has its counterpart in tailored clothing, expensive cars, and the like. In short, it's a classic example of a veblen good.

Veblen good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#14 ·
Tell her she is comparing a VW to a Porsche.

Both great cars, made by the same manufacturer, and you can get a VW that can compete with a Porsche on the street, but no one will look as hard at the VW (I have an R32).

Then compare the costs to maintain them. You'll seem pretty smart. She might actually compliment the Sinn.

#15 ·
I actually love the feeling that only I and some other enthusiast know the real value of the watch I'm wearing. I don't like bragging with watches or jewelry. That said, I couldn't even afford to. But in this price class you can already pick up a watch which gets some looks on the street.

One of the reasons I fell in love with 556l was that it has no shining parts (all brushed steel) and it doesn't scream for attention. Very plain and instrument-like look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.