Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    69

    Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    I purchased my 556 IB (blue version) back in May and they were still shipping ETA2824 movements. The brown dial version IIRC was already shipping with SW200-1's at the time. Quick look at the website shows that they are sold out of blue dialed ones, and that the next shipment in will have Sellita movements. It seems like they're slowly transitioning away from the ETAs for all the models - one might extrapolate that once they run out of the white MoP and the 556A stock, the next production run will also contain the SW200-1.

    Price also has crept up by 7%, at least for Euro prices.

    Not earth-shattering news, but I thought it might be nice to have this bit of info for posterity in case anybody wanted to find out when Sinn made the change over to Sellita in this series.
    ChronoSage and gaston664 like this.

  2. #2
    Member JacobC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,386

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlahhh View Post
    I purchased my 556 IB (blue version) back in May and they were still shipping ETA2824 movements. The brown dial version IIRC was already shipping with SW200-1's at the time. Quick look at the website shows that they are sold out of blue dialed ones, and that the next shipment in will have Sellita movements. It seems like they're slowly transitioning away from the ETAs for all the models - one might extrapolate that once they run out of the white MoP and the 556A stock, the next production run will also contain the SW200-1.

    Price also has crept up by 7%, at least for Euro prices.

    Not earth-shattering news, but I thought it might be nice to have this bit of info for posterity in case anybody wanted to find out when Sinn made the change over to Sellita in this series.
    I thought so too but I just bought a "new production" MOP I had to wait for. I waited seven weeks and it's still ETA. My understanding was that they rotate through these calibers based on availability.


    Instagram @open_escapement

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Far East
    Posts
    929

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Is the use of the SW movement viewed as a bad thing?
    Seiko Citizen

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member JacobC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,386

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes View Post
    Is the use of the SW movement viewed as a bad thing?
    I think it greatly depends on who you talk to. My ETA movements run just a few seconds off per day. My two Sellita movements in the same category / grade run about 3 times worse on average. So my personal experience is to prefer ETA movements for customer calibers.


    Instagram @open_escapement

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    69

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    I thought so too but I just bought a "new production" MOP I had to wait for. I waited seven weeks and it's still ETA. My understanding was that they rotate through these calibers based on availability.


    Instagram @open_escapement
    Ah, that also would be an entirely plausible explanation.
    JacobC likes this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Out on the prairie
    Posts
    268

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Other Sinn models are using Sellita. Many brands have had to go that way.
    There are a couple discussions on the watch maker forum about Sellita vs ETA.

    I noticed that the Sinn models using the Sellita SW200 ( 556 , U1 ) usually has just 2 years warranty while the SW300 models have 3 years warranty.
    Have not checked all models.

    Did the ETA2824 have the shorter warranty period also ? Models with the ETA2892 ( T1 ) have 3 years.
    Are there other factors involved in the longer warranty than just the movement?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    277

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Isn't ETA only going to Swatch brands now since they're owned by Swatch?

  9. #8
    DIL
    DIL is offline
    Member DIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    68

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    I can't speak specifically on the SW-200, but the 2018 556i that I received was hot garbage quality-wise compared to may many older Sinns. Hope they are doing good QC on the movements they receive.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Member Munchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the top of the dial
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    I made recent enquiries to a couple of on line ADs and direct to Sinn regarding the availability of 556A models with ETA 2824-2 movements.

    Both ADs said that they approached Sinn and were told that only models with Sellita were available.


    When I enquired to Sinn myself their initial reply was that the 556A came with the ETA (Marketing dept) but pointed me back to the ADs that I had already contacted to actually purchase the watch.

    When I replied that the ADs had said only Sellita was available, another member of Sinn staff replied and this time said that they were only available with Sellita movements "sorry and have a nice day".


    Funny thing is a couple of weeks later I got an email from one of the ADs - Sinn had one model 556A with and ETA and it was on reserve to the AD until the next afternoon. Thing is even in that short space of time Id moved on and started looking at other options and kind of went off the boil on the Sinn so I passed.

    Also a little weary of how that one model came about.
    Cheers

    M


    Current collection: Casio Oceanus T200, Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    69

    Re: Sinn 556 series moving to SW200-1

    Quote Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
    Did the ETA2824 have the shorter warranty period also ? Models with the ETA2892 ( T1 ) have 3 years.
    Are there other factors involved in the longer warranty than just the movement?
    My 2824-version also came with 2 years warranty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •