WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Sinn 556 thread

2M views 3K replies 755 participants last post by  aa_bcfc 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just ordered one of the new 556 on bracelet. They are in stock at Sinn and it should arrive in a few days. Impressions and pictures to follow. Anybody else already got one? I'd love to hear your impressions/thoughts.

Greetings from Bonn,

Christian

#75 ·
I would also like to know this.

the Standard grade is adjusted in two positions with an average rate of +/-12 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-30 seconds/day;
the Elaborated grade is adjusted in three positions with an average rate of +/-7 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-30 seconds/day;
while the Top grade is adjusted in five positions with an average rate of +/-4 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-10 seconds/day.

Which one in a sinn 556?

#4 ·
And here it is!

Here's a detailed first impression. The watch, even if heralded by Sinn as a "starter watch", is a fine piece and a full grown Sinn for those who don't want to shell out that much dole. It comes with the usual Sinn swag (guarantee card, instruction manual, strap changing tool and threadlock):

The watch itself is of a minimalistic plainness, I bought it as a dress watch which seems to be the perfect fit for it. The dial is of a glossy, lacquer/enamel-like finish, giving a bit of "sheen" to the otherwise simplistic dial:

Size-wise, it's bigger than the 37mm diameter would suggest, here's a comparison pic (Seiko 007 on the left, Marinemaster on the right):

"Wrist shot" lol

Case and bracelet are brushed, the clasp is "Sinn" engraved:

The see-through caseback is nicely exectued, the Movement (ETA 2824-2) is nicely finished, the Rotor has the "Sinn" engraving and Geneva stripes:

compared to the rest of my collection, the 556 is a nice change and hopefully will aid me in thursdays job interview ;)

Next up is the EZM 3...

Cheers,

Christian

#9 ·
Re: And here it is!

Great looking watch. I am really on the fence about this model as it seems odd that there is nothing to differentiate between the "12" and all others indexes...

I've never had a watch like that and wonder what effect it would have on quick time checks???

Zach

#14 ·
For me this is the best looking Sinn (just a personal opinion). I like the clean simplicity of the dial. I don't have a Sinn yet but I may well get this one.
-Agreed. When my interest in mechanical watches was rekindled some time ago, a Breitling #2 (A Cosmonaute to relieve my Chrono Shark of its wrist duty) was on top of my wish list.

However, after some time spent online, in this forum as well as by reading ArmbandUhren (I can read German quite well; just don't ask me to form a coherent sentence in the language! ;), I lean more and more towards a Sinn as my next purchase - I had the 144GMT in mind, but the 556 really appeals to me. (Heck, I can get both for less than what a Cosmonaute would cost! :)

There wouldn't happen to be a Sinn dealer at either MUC or FRA, would it? (I pass through both several times a year, that's why - buying the watch in Germany would save me 25% Norwegian VAT on the purchase price.)

--
Odd Erling

#24 ·
Re: And here it is!

Beautiful watch!!! Have you tried it with a brown strap?

#26 ·
How did you do this?

I'd been trying to find a 556 to view/try in Sydney, but no luck... so I've ordered one from Neil @ Chronomaster (UK).

If I don't like it for whatever reason, I'll just re-sell & get something else :)

#28 ·
Mine arrived today - very impressed with it! It looks much nicer than I expected, and the size is great...

Watch number 00852... I wonder who's got the first hundred...