Sinn 556 vs Stowa Flieger : What would be your choice?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sinn 556 vs Stowa Flieger : What would be your choice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 556 vs Stowa Flieger : What would be your choice?

Hello everyone, I'm starting a thread here.

I'm personally going back and forth between the Sinn 556(I or A not decided, need your help) and the Stowa Flieger Auto with Top grade movement.

I think I like the look of the Stowa better, both its face and back, but rather than the looks Sinn seems more attractive with the bracelets and WR.
    With a quality bracelet and 200m WR, I believe it is much more versatile than the Stowa.
    However, Stowa has the original flieger design with the blued hands and a stunning lume, and nicely polished case and movement.

I know that I can't go wrong with either one, but I only have money for one and I don't want to regret my choice.

I acknowledge that this is the Sinn forum, but I assume that some of you have considered or tried the Stowa flieger as well.
    What would be your opinion and why?

Also have some few questions :

1. Sinn 556i or 556a?

2. 556 movement : Top or Elabore?

Your posts will be very helpful for me. Thanks.

I own neither, but have handled both.

For me the bracelet is neither here nor there, as I prefer watches on straps. I do think that a bracelet is an appropriate look for the Sinn though, and not for the Stowa.

They are quite different watches, really. One is modern, minimalist and starkly beautiful (556i) and the other is a stunning historical reproduction.

The size is different too of course (37 vs 40?).

I would say that it is mainly down to personal preference, and how important the bracelet/WR is to you. Oh, and those gorgeous blued hands on the Stowa....

For what it's worth (and it's just a personal thing), I would pick the Stowa over the 556a every time. The 556i, not so sure.

CWC - Junghans Max Bill - Seiko - Longines - Cartier
    Junghans Max Bill Handwound

CWC 1970s Remake RAF Chronograph

Cartier Vendome Tricolour Gold

Longines Grand Classique

Seiko 7T32 Chronograph

LH2

Re: Sinn 556 vs Stowa Flieger : What would be your choice?

556 gets a Top movement standard.

If you're set on a bracelet, then get the 556, in whatever version you decide.

The 'I' version wins popularity contests here because it's been out longer and a lot more folks own one than the A version. I version = dressier vibe with deep, inky black glossy dial. A version's matte black gives more of a tool vibe and quicker low-light readability.

I've owned a 556 and a couple of Stowa Fliegers. Neither really has a nicer case finish than the other. Both are nice brushed cases.

The Stowa's heat blued hands are very pretty, can't argue with that.

The Stowa's domed crystal is a plus for me, it seems to add some depth to the dial. The Sinn's double AR flat crystal is very nice though, nothing wrong with it at all. It has less glare at off-angles than the Stowa for sure.

What's your wrist size? Everyone has different size preferences, but I'd say if your wrist is 7" or greater, the Stowa is a little better fit than the 38.5mm 556.

Stowa wait time is what, 3+ months? Sinn available now.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post

What's your wrist size? Everyone has different size preferences, but I'd say if your wrist is 7" or greater, the Stowa is a little better fit than the 38.5mm 556.
    Forgot about the information, I have a wrist of 6.75" so size won't be an issue for me.
    Last edited by Loveletter; September 24th, 2013 at 12:06.

I would go with the Stowa (sterile) on this one as well...

For me it's the size and the overall aesthetics
    Last edited by incognito; September 24th, 2013 at 18:06.
    -incognito-
    Sinn U1 Black Phantom LE
    Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II
    Ball Engineer Master II Aviator
    Maurice Lacroix Les Classique
    Limes ​Principio Titanium 37/42 LE
    Fortis Flieger B Dial Cockpit Date
    Oris Williams F1 Day Date
    Steinhart Nav B Uhr 44mm
    Limes Titanium

My Watch Collection
    My Pinterest Watch Page

Banned

If you plan on swimming with the watch you purchase, get the Sinn. 200m WR and the bracelet even comes with a divers extension.

Not much sense jumping into the pool with a leather strapped watch.

Both are fine watches. The Sinn bracelet is top notch.
    Are you going to do any serious diving with it? If not, I do not think that the WR should be an issue.

Good luck.

I find the Stowa Flieger to be a dress watch version of the famous navigator tool watch. I find that you can't show that to a friend (who is not interested) and tell that this is what Luftwaffe navigators used in WWII. It's too small, it's polished, it doesn't have the crown you could use with gloves etc. Baumuster should be insanely big, matte color, no see through case back, welded (style) lugs, with a closed loop strap and have a big diamond crown. In other words I prefer the Laco version. The only down side of Laco is that they use standard grade movements for a watch that was originally a chronometer.

So the Stowa is out from the race for me.

I would probably choose the 556i version and use it as a dress watch with a strap. However that choice is affected by the fact that I already have a Sinn watch with a 3,6,9,12 dial style. If I hadn't I would take the 556A for better legibility and to own a Sinn navigation clock styled watch.

But that's just me, buy the watch that makes you smile.

Name:  DSC01376.jpg
Views: 9666
Size:  719.8 KB
    SINN 556i would be my first choice, Most versatile, more comfortable fit for me, I prefer watches on bracelet but also looks good on just about any strap.

Name:  rsz_dsc01485.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  170.0 KB
    I had this Stowa Flieger 2801 handwind and bought the Stowa croco strap to go with it. Really liked it but like I said, I prefer watches on bracelet and the Sinn 556 either i or A is more versatile and for my smaller wrists a better size. Also found the 556 hands/dial to be more legible. The minute and hour hands are too similar size and shape on the Stowa.

Either way you can't go wrong!
    fastward likes this.
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist Tudor BB 58| Omega PO | GS Quartz GMT | Sinn 856 UTC | Sinn EZM3F| Omega AT38

I own both the Stowa Flieger and Sinn 356. For versatility my vote goes to the Sinn in your case because of the bracelet. The Stowa is just too dressy in my opinion. The Sinn 556 would look equally great with a suit as well as with an old pair of jeans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information