Sinn 556a Lume

Thread: Sinn 556a Lume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 556a Lume

Hi, i just joined WUS and look forward to engaging in watch stuff with you guys and gals. I have a question on my newly purchased 556a. I love the watch, very versatile and the size is a sweet spot for me but the lume is non existent. It barely shines and is so dim I have a hard time reading it. I charged it with my iPhone flashlight and it then glowed ok but quickly faded. Iíve read that it was not the greatest but is this normal? Thanks!

Re: Sinn 556a Lume

How old is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a comparison of a 856UTC and a Seiko Turtle (not the best quality, but for comparison take).

I was surprised at how good the lume on the 856 was as that's the one area where I was worried about with buying a Sinn.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't have a 556a, but I do have a 2017 556i and I find that the lume isn't great. Quite patchy and tails off quite quickly.

I've heard that some Sinns have fainter lume, but was told that was done in order to make the lume last longer. Seems that may not be the case here. Could be worth taking back to the AD to see if it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarien26 View Post
    I've heard that some Sinns have fainter lume, but was told that was done in order to make the lume last longer. Seems that may not be the case here. Could be worth taking back to the AD to see if it's normal.
    I've read this as well. I believe Sinn lume is designed to be most visible after your eyes adjust to darkness. Meaning it tails off quickly but once your pupils dilate you can tell the time all night long without having to worry about waking up at 4 am to completely discharged lume.

I have an 856 B Uhr; I think what you're seeing is by design.

My 556a lume is by far the dimmest compared to my other Sinns: EZM13, 857 UTC VFR, EZM1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Horrendous View Post
    I've read this as well. I believe Sinn lume is designed to be most visible after your eyes adjust to darkness. Meaning it tails off quickly but once your pupils dilate you can tell the time all night long without having to worry about waking up at 4 am to completely discharged lume.
    I call total BS on this. Out of pretty much all of the other lumed watches in my collection, the lume on my 556 is noticeably duller and harder to read in the dark at the start, middle and end of a stint. Especially the latter.
    Last edited by Dennis K; August 12th, 2018 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by samueljames76 View Post
    Hi, i just joined WUS and look forward to engaging in watch stuff with you guys and gals. I have a question on my newly purchased 556a. I love the watch, very versatile and the size is a sweet spot for me but the lume is non existent. It barely shines and is so dim I have a hard time reading it. I charged it with my iPhone flashlight and it then glowed ok but quickly faded. Iíve read that it was not the greatest but is this normal? Thanks!
    I bought my 556a new from AD. The lume is as what you have described, i.e. almost unreadable in the dark. I have only one other watch with worse legibility in the dark than my 556a, its a seiko with all metal hands and markers. So I'd say its normal.

But other than that, I think its an almost perfect everyday watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis K View Post
    I call total BS on this. Out of pretty much all of the other lumed watches in my collection, the lume on my 556 is noticeably duller and harder to read in the dark at the start, middle and end of a stint. Especially the latter.
    Hey, Iím just relaying what Sinn says about their watches. *shrug*

As I said in my post, I have an 856 and itís legible to me at night. I had assumed the lume would be the same on the 556, but maybe Iím wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information