Sinn 556i ended my lust for Rolex Explorer I 39mm
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By CombatMarine
  • 1 Post By Ottovonn
  • 1 Post By mebiuspower

Thread: Sinn 556i ended my lust for Rolex Explorer I 39mm

Banned

Sinn 556i ended my lust for Rolex Explorer I 39mm

I have been lusting after a Rolex Explorer I 39mm for a year or so now as a "One Watch" daily wearer.

There is two reasons I have refrained from purchasing one, #1. no date window, at 67 yrs. of age a date window is a must, and #2. the Obscene price, which I could manage to pay, but am reluctant to do so.

I bought a Sinn 556i. I took the watch with me on Cruise out of L.A. It was the sole watch I took with me. One of the port of calls on the Cruise was Santa Barbara and my wife and I did some window shopping in the downtown area which includes some high end jewelry shops that handled Rolex, Patek, Breitling, Mont Blanc and Cartier watches.

In the store that handled the Rolexes I tried on and looked at the Explorer I 39mm and did a side by side with my Sinn 556i.

Both are low key minimalist watches and are similar in size. Much to my absolute surprise the Sinn's fit and finish, especially the brushed satin finish looked much nicer then the Rolex. The bracelet was more comfortable then the Rolex, and the Rolex's bracelets outer links were sharp to the touch, whereas the Sinn's were smooth and comfortable.

The Sinn's dial was infinitely easier to read and was clear and crisp and the Rolex was harder to read with all the glare coming off of it because there is no Anti-reflection coating at all on the crystal. The Rolex came off as shine and bling, where the Sinn came off as smooth, understated and subdued.

I know the Rolex is a Rolex, but the harder stainless steel and the better movement can't remotely justify an additional $5K in price.

My lust for an Rolex Explorer I, ended that day!

P.S. The Sinn has a date window and an additional 100m WR to boot!

Re: Sinn 556i ended my lust for Rolex Explorer I 39mm

good move... congrats

The Rolex does look a little more dainty, elegant perhaps. It gives off this regal vibe because of its reflective surfaces. The Sinn 556i is just as understated, but in a subtly bold way, giving it a slightly more toolish appearance. The satinized finish gives it a dullish look, but that is compensated for by the vibrant contrast of the inky black dial and ivory white markers, further emphasized by the clarity produced through the AR treated crystal. It's really interesting how two similar looking watches can actually be worlds apart design-wise. Of course, unless they're WIS, most people won't notice the subtle differences!

I'm glad you're enjoying yours by the way.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; October 7th, 2013 at 04:22.
    CombatMarine likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    The Rolex does look a little more dainty, elegant perhaps. It gives off this regal vibe because of its reflective surfaces. The Sinn 556i is just as understated, but in a subtly bold way, giving it a slightly more toolish appearance. The satinized finish gives it a dullish look, but that is compensated for by the vibrant contrast of the inky black dial and ivory white markers, further emphasized by the clarity produced through the AR treated crystal. It's really interesting how two similar looking watches can actually be worlds apart design-wise. Of course, unless they're WIS, most people won't notice the subtle differences!

I'm glad you're enjoying yours by the way.
    The satin finish on the Sinn looks finer then the shiny Rolex bracelet, it looks and feels "buttery" for want of another word. The only brushed finish on a watch bracelet that rivals the Sinn's is the Tag Link which has that same satin finish and smooth feel to it. I have recently sold a Tag Link Chrono, liked the bracelet, but didn't like the heavy thick Chronograph case.
    Last edited by CombatMarine; October 7th, 2013 at 06:15.

The Sinn definitely has a military vibe to it. Very functional design.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk now Free
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

I've always preferred a flieger case over the submariner style.

For Rolex, 90% of the cost of the watch is buying the name. Your Sinn is just as well built than any Rolex out there.

A friend of mine works at a local Rolex dealer. While I'm not going to go into details, Rolex watches are heavily driven by marketing.
    CombatMarine likes this.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    For Rolex, 90% of the cost of the watch is buying the name. Your Sinn is just as well built than any Rolex out there.

A friend of mine works at a local Rolex dealer. While I'm not going to go into details, Rolex watches are heavily driven by marketing.
    Dittos on your observation, I own a Submariner I purchased new in a Hong Kong Jewelry store back in 1995. I think I paid around $1,700 for it. There is no way given inflation and all things considered, that this watch new should be selling for upwards of $7,500 today.

They have artificially jacked up the prices through shrewd marketing, and managed to make a mass produced, undecorated, complication-less watch into a Haute Horology icon in the eyes of the masses.

You really have to hand it to their marketing department.

Good choice. I always liked Sinn for their clean no nonsense design.

I think all watches have their place. One can knock any watch brand for their pricing. how many watches are really worth their price?

Wear the sinn in good health.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Thread Information