Sinn 656 overhaul: cost and alternatives to RGM?

Thread: Sinn 656 overhaul: cost and alternatives to RGM?

Sinn 656 overhaul: cost and alternatives to RGM?

I called RGM for an estimate on servicing a 5-year old Sinn 656. Of course they told me "we have to see it first" which is understandable. When I pressed them a bit they said that typical overhauls for that watch are $350-$400.

Does anyone have experience with using other service centers that are not factory authorized for servicing their watches. What's the price range you've encountered? Any workmanship problems?

The 656 uses a 2824 movement. Like all Sinns it's Top grade. I'm a bit unsettled by the knowledge that a replacement movement could probably be purchased for less than the cost of servicing an old one. I love my mechanical watches but at some point owning a quality mechanical watch seems like an extravagance that I don't need. (If only the quartz watches weren't all so ugly....jump.....jump....jump.)
    Last edited by t3hite; August 24th, 2013 at 00:06.

Re: Sinn 656 overhaul: cost and alternatives to RGM?

Call Felix Zaltsberg at Right Time International Watch Center on County Line Road there in Denver. I haven't had work done by him but he comes highly recommended by my Watchmaker in Germany.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; August 24th, 2013 at 02:39.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    Call Felix Zaltsberg at Right Time International Watch Center on County Line Road there in Denver. I haven't had work done by him but he comes highly recommended by Watchmaker in Germany.
    I've already spoken to them and they wouldn't even do a ballpark estimate without having the watch in hand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by t3hite View Post
    I've already spoken to them and they wouldn't even do a ballpark estimate without having the watch in hand.
    Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Seems like a reasonable request to me.
    Very reasonable except...I don't have the watch yet. It's in the Sales Corners. I've PM'd with the seller and he knows I like the watch. However, I want to make sure I don't overpay and get something that's going to cost so much to overhaul that it's a bad buy. I'd also like to have an idea about my cost to own for the future. Look before you leap!

I was hoping some 656 owners could chime in and give me their experiences getting their watches overhauled.

In a similar vein I've seen a few 856 UTC sell on this site all of them were purchased in 2008 so they were coming up on their 5-year service mark. It seems that I'm not the only guy who likes nice mechanicals but finds the cost of maintenance to be a bit uncomfortable to bear.
    Last edited by t3hite; August 24th, 2013 at 05:18.

You'll be hard pressed to find a WIS who has their mechanical watches serviced every 5-7 years. Most of us consider servicing only when the watch in question goes way out of spec or becomes erratic. In the avionics world we call it RTF, run-to-failure maintenance.

Of course you should have seals tested yearly and replaced as needed. Failure via water intrusion is never acceptable.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; August 24th, 2013 at 05:40.

You'll be hard pressed to find a WIS who has their mechanical watches serviced every 5-7 years. Most of us consider servicing only when the watch in question goes way out of spec or becomes erratic. In the avionics world we call it RTF, run-to-failure maintenance.

Of course you should have seals tested yearly and replaced as needed. Failure via water intrusion is never acceptable.
    Thats helpful.

The Sinn 656/856 watches hit a sweet spot for me. Rugged enough for daily use even when I'm doing building maintenance work, biking or backcountry skiing but still capable of dressing up when needed. I do need to be pretty careful about not busting my budget. I don't want to be selling my watch when I need a new tranny in my Subaru.

It's a hard blend of features to find even when I look at used quartz in the same price range.

Thread Information