Sinn 836 has landed
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Sinn 836 has landed

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sinn 836 has landed

My Sinn 836 arrived last week and although I've only spent a few days with it I wanted to share some first impressions.

First, some measurements. Admittedly, these were taken with a cheap caliper with some tape on the ends so I didn't scratch the watch.

Lug to lug: 49mm
    Case diameter (excluding crown): 43mm
    Case diameter (including crown): 47mm
    Dial diameter: 37mm
    Thickness: 10.7mm

This watch wears very well for its size. It actually wears a tad smaller than I was expecting which I quite like. While the face of the watch is mostly dial, the bezel is not razor thin and the lugs are rather svelte. I have a Glycine that shares nearly the same measurements as this watch but it wears noticeably larger due to a bit thinner bezel and wider lugs.

I will say that even though this is a thin watch, the case is very flat which gives it a thicker appearance. This gives the watch a bit more wrist presence while still allowing it to wear very nicely with a cuffed long sleeve shirt. This does make me wonder about the 936 model, though, Although I have not seen it in person, I don't think flat sides will do any favors for a watch that is pretty chunky at 15mm thick.

I find this to be a very attractive watch. There is a definite tool look given the familiar flieger style case, the extremely legible minimalist dial, and case finishing. Nearly every surface is brushed ("santinized") giving the watch a very versatile look - not flat and serious like a blasted case but not flashy and ostentatious like a polished one. However, the tool watch details are balanced out by a bit of flair in a few specific areas. The flat surface where the case meets the double AR coated sapphire crystal is polished to add a touch of diversity in the case finishing. Additionally, the sword hands are lined with a beautiful brushed Rhodium finish which not only looks nice but gives the hands even greater definition against the matte black dial. I really like the way these surfaces can make light dance without appearing overly blingy. Of course, there is also the splashes of red. The smooth sweeping red second hand offers a terrific contrast to the dial and, if you purchase the watch on leather like I did, the matching red stitching on the strap further helps break up any monotony. I also like the execution of the date window. Placing it at 6 o'clock and giving it a matching black background create an extremely eye pleasing, symmetrical dial.

I was unable to find a single flaw with the finishing on the watch and I must say I am pleased with the quality. Even the screw-down crown operates especially smoothly during operation.

The stock leather strap is about 3mm thick and is very sturdy while still being pretty comfortable out of the box. While the 836 is not a heavy watch, some of the others that use this as a stock band are so this is probably necessary. I am not a leather expert but it appears to have a thin layer of pigment on both sides of the strap. I am sill able to make out some grain from underneath. I will continue to wear the band to break it in as temperature and humidity levels allow.

So far, the accuracy of the watch seems to be +8 spd on the wrist and +10 spd off the wrist. Obviously it is still early so I will continue to monitor this. I am still experimenting with placing the watch in different positions overnight as well.

With all of this said, there are some things I am missing. I wish that the case had drilled lugs to make strap changes easier. I'm not sure if there is a technical reason that this is not an included feature (something related to the tegimenting process?) but it would be nice to have. Also, I would prefer if the dial was a slightly darker, richer black; in direct light, the dial can look a bit washed out against the deep black leather strap. This may not be as noticeable on a different strap or the bracelet. These details aren't deal breakers for me but I thought I'd mention them since I want to provide an honest appraisal of the watch.

Overall, Sinn seems to have made a very nice watch for the large wrist crowd that blends the tool watch aesthetic with some subtle elegance. For me, these features combine to make this a very versatile every day wearer. I am happy with the 836 and plan to continue wearing it daily.

I've added some pictures below. Hopefully these help illustrate the styling and wearability of the 836. This is not meant to be a comprehensive review so I would be happy to answer any specific questions that any of you have.

Name:  491b8eu.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  705.1 KB

Name:  9Ok1ZE0.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  aCkknHb.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  1U5l9cA.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  fTDtnGz.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  3F6Tncy.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  1.56 MB

Name:  mIMcwtZ.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  vlp4b5V.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  1.33 MB

Name:  KLbX81r.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  1.00 MB

Name:  xT08lgX.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  1.01 MB

Nice review on a cool watch.Congrats and enjoy!

Re: Sinn 836 has landed

I notice that you have a lume shot. How's the lume on this one?

Otherwise, it's a gorgeous watch and if I had the funds, I'd get one myself.
    Seeking watch nirvana

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tanjecterly View Post
    I notice that you have a lume shot. How's the lume on this one?

Otherwise, it's a gorgeous watch and if I had the funds, I'd get one myself.
    I haven't done too much testing of the lume yet. That picture was taken in a parking garage after driving for about 20 minutes. From what I've noticed it is very bright at first then settles down.

It does still seem to sustain some brightness for awhile though. One day I noticed I could still read the watch in relative darkness for a few hours after about 45 minutes outside in indirect sunlight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Tanjecterly likes this.

Awesome! May I ask what size your wrist is?
    Sinn 556I MWW Westminster Seiko Black Monster Tissot T-Race Chrono G Shock Mudman 3031
    The WIS bug runs in the family

8.25" around. 65mm side to side

Congrats & thank you for the honest review

That’s a very cool Sinn and it’s near the top on my short list. This one looks best on a strap IMO. I’m sure it’ll be awesome on nato’s too. The silicon strap would be a cool option as well, with that large clasp “satinized” it would be killer! Agree on the drilled lugs too. It would have been nice, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Enjoy that beauty

Shannon

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinn’s: EZM9, EZM14–T1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Sinn: U1 S Blue, U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

Thanks! I might experiment with a dark(ish) brown leather strap in the same vintage style as this stock one. I'll need to look around and see what I can find.

This has kind of a long lug to lug length compared to the case diameter but it really is a cool looking watch.

Nice pick up! I like the matte dial, and that strap combo is great for an OEM option. I'm sure it'll be a strap monster too.
    Moss28 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information