Sinn 856 possible caseback rust.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sinn 856 possible caseback rust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 856 possible caseback rust.

Good day to all,

I have had a week old 856 show signs of corrosion/rust. I am not sure how to remove it, and it looks like a manufacturing defect. I have attached some photos to illustrate the problem.

I have emailed Sinn but they usually take a few days to get back. It was not noticeable when I unboxed it 1 week ago.

In the meantime, I have tried cleaning it with mild soap and a cotton bud (thought it was some sort of dirt). I only realised the severity when taking the close up photos.

Pls share any tips you might have on removal of said rust/discolouration. I am slightly bummed about my 1st experience with this manufacturer being like this. Oh well..

Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

J4G

Re: Sinn 856 possible caseback rust.

Quote Originally Posted by xypher View Post
    Good day to all,

I have had a week old 856 show signs of corrosion/rust. I am not sure how to remove it, and it looks like a manufacturing defect. I have attached some photos to illustrate the problem.

I have emailed Sinn but they usually take a few days to get back. It was not noticeable when I unboxed it 1 week ago.

In the meantime, I have tried cleaning it with mild soap and a cotton bud (thought it was some sort of dirt). I only realised the severity when taking the close up photos.

Pls share any tips you might have on removal of said rust/discolouration. I am slightly bummed about my 1st experience with this manufacturer being like this. Oh well..

Thanks!!
    Interested to see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately stainless is only rust resistant - not rust proof but saying that I'd be bummed as well but I've loads of watches and quite a few of them are Sinns and your experience is not the norm. In the long term I'd leave it but if you do decide to have a bash at it wait for Sinn to get back to you before you tackle it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few days ago I took the bracelet off my 1 year old 856 UTC to place a EO strap and noticed some rust on the end links of the bracelet. I'm struggling to remember whether any was on the case. It was superficial and rubbed off easily. I attributed it to sweat/salt. The strap didn't work out, so I reattached the bracelet and didn't think about again until I noticed you post. Mine doesn't really bother me, as I figure it will wipe away easily and the case is hardened steel.

The rust on mine was rather light & dusty in nature and yours appears to be ingrained somewhat.

Try some vinegar on the cotton bud / Q-tip. The vinegar shoudn't harm the watch case. Otherwise, something like CLR might help, but just be careful not to soak the watch, but only apply to the affected areas. There's a more expensive product called Evapo-Rust which will attack the rust specifically, but it's somewhat expensive and requires a couple of hours to work, so in that case, you'd have to apply it to a gauze pad or cotton swab and leave the pad on the affected areas.

A tiny bit of WD-40 on a swab will fix that right up. Clean after with alcohol. Not a manufacturer issue. Metal can rust. Sweat is pretty corrosive. Having said that, owning Sinns for several years I’ve never seen one show signs of rust. Must have come into contact with something. Possible they would warrant that, but doubtful.
    egwatchfan likes this.
    Too many flipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    A tiny bit of WD-40 on a swab will fix that right up. Clean after with alcohol. Not a manufacturer issue. Metal can rust. Sweat is pretty corrosive. Having said that, owning Sinns for several years I’ve never seen one show signs of rust. Must have come into contact with something. Possible they would warrant that, but doubtful.
    ^^ this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    Possible they would warrant that, but doubtful.
    On a week-old watch? In my view they should send him a new watch -- something is up here. I have a 12 year old 856 that has seen tons of sweat, salt water, etc., and I haven't seen any rust on it. If it did it wouldn't bother me 12 years in but after a week? I think that is highly questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
    On a week-old watch? In my view they should send him a new watch -- something is up here. I have a 12 year old 856 that has seen tons of sweat, salt water, etc., and I haven't seen any rust on it. If it did it wouldn't bother me 12 years in but after a week? I think that is highly questionable.
    I hear you, but what would they warrant? Metal is metal. That is a tiny bit of surface discoloration. Easy to clean up. Doesn’t effect the watch function at all.
    Too many flipped...

I'm curious what sinn will have to say. I'd probably remove it chemically and move on, but still strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information