Sinn 856 S UTC quick date set function

Thread: Sinn 856 S UTC quick date set function

Sinn 856 S UTC quick date set function

Hi folks, I've just taken delivery of my 2nd Sinn to add alongside to my 103 sa B E

Just would like some help from fellow 856 S UTC owners... having studied the instructions, it's not clear if the quick set date function should only be operated between the 6am-6pm? This is what I generally follow for my Tudor Pelagos, IWC and Sinn 103. Secondly, is the UTC hour hand can be changed at any time?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sinn 856 S UTC quick date set function

I own the same watch and not had to do that

So you mean I can change the quick set date any time and not restricted to from 6am-6pm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've typically heard recommendations to change the date from 3AM to 9PM to prevent a gear tooth (my apologies, I'm certain I'm getting the terminology wrong) from breaking. However, I believe that ETA and Sellita movements use a spring-loaded metal gear tooth for the date complication, and not plastic, so breakage is extremely unlikely regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Commandercody66 View Post
    having studied the instructions, it's not clear if the quick set date function should only be operated between the 6am-6pm? This is what I generally follow for my Tudor Pelagos, IWC and Sinn 103. Secondly, is the UTC hour hand can be changed at any time?
    Sinn's instructions tend to be pretty clear about when you can't do that. For example, my 6096 came with an instruction booklet that has instructions for most of the watches in the 6000 series. It has an explicit (bold, in red) 9:00pm/3:00am warning for the 6000, 6052, and 6099, but not the 6060, 6068, or 6096, for example. So, I think it is movement-dependent.

As for the UTC hand, I have never heard anyone apply the 9:00pm/3:00am restriction to the UTC hand. Since the warning has to do with the date change being in progress during that time, and the UTC hand has nothing to do with the date, I suspect changing the UTC hand during that time is fine.

I'm not a watchmaker, though...

Quote Originally Posted by IndependentGeorge View Post
    I've typically heard recommendations to change the date from 3AM to 9PM to prevent a gear tooth (my apologies, I'm certain I'm getting the terminology wrong) from breaking. However, I believe that ETA and Sellita movements use a spring-loaded metal gear tooth for the date complication, and not plastic, so breakage is extremely unlikely regardless.
    I've heard (and read) the same 3am to 9pm recommendation and try to follow it as good practice, but I have carelessly changed the date on my 856 UTC within the restricted window a few times and had no issue. I've also set the UTC hand on many a flight at odd hours of the night with no problems at all.

Thread Information