Sinn 856 UTC Bracelet screws stuck..advice?

Thread: Sinn 856 UTC Bracelet screws stuck..advice?

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a Sinn 856 UTC second hand and am extremely happy with the piece. Was what I was hoping for an more.

It is a 2009 model and came on a NATO with a sized but unworn bracelet with all additional links.

I've only had experience with the newer Sinn Bracelets which are hex head screws and I have never sized an older H link bracelet with normal screws.

For the life of me I cannot undo any of the screws to add in one of the additional links and am at a loss at what to do.

I am going to guess that because it has not been changed for nearly ten years and loctite was probably used as well that this is why I cannot undo them.

I am worried i'm going to damage the screw head, any tips on how to get these undone?

Thanks for your help!
    Current Rotation

Sinn 556A 'Red Seconds' Edition
    King Seiko Chronometer 5626
    Oris 65 Diver 40mm
    Tissot PRC200 Powermatic 80
    Seiko SKX013

Quote Originally Posted by thomas-david View Post
    Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a Sinn 856 UTC second hand and am extremely happy with the piece. Was what I was hoping for an more.

It is a 2009 model and came on a NATO with a sized but unworn bracelet with all additional links.

I've only had experience with the newer Sinn Bracelets which are hex head screws and I have never sized an older H link bracelet with normal screws.

For the life of me I cannot undo any of the screws to add in one of the additional links and am at a loss at what to do.

I am going to guess that because it has not been changed for nearly ten years and loctite was probably used as well that this is why I cannot undo them.

I am worried i'm going to damage the screw head, any tips on how to get these undone?

Thanks for your help!
    Okay so I used to restore rusty guns and I have some thoughts:

Heat and penetration oil can work wonders.

Personally I'd recommend that if you don't own one, take it to a jeweler to have it run through an ultrasonic cleaner. Besides it being vibrated to loosen crud + maybe loctite off of the threads, it uses heat and a cleaning solution. You have no idea how much easier it is to service something that's even rusted shut with just 20-30 minutes in an ultrasonic tank. And it's cheap!

There are of course different solutions for different things so if you DIY use one designed for gold rings as it will not harm stainless steel. If you do a total DIY, get a SMALL AMOUNT of penetrating oil and DRIP it onto the screw head. Apply heat from a heat gun from a distance of NOT LESS THAN SIX INCHES to avoid discoloration.

Best of luck,

J

Re: Sinn 856 UTC Bracelet screws stuck..advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Casper View Post
    Okay so I used to restore rusty guns and I have some thoughts:

Heat and penetration oil can work wonders.

Personally I'd recommend that if you don't own one, take it to a jeweler to have it run through an ultrasonic cleaner. Besides it being vibrated to loosen crud + maybe loctite off of the threads, it uses heat and a cleaning solution. You have no idea how much easier it is to service something that's even rusted shut with just 20-30 minutes in an ultrasonic tank. And it's cheap!

There are of course different solutions for different things so if you DIY use one designed for gold rings as it will not harm stainless steel. If you do a total DIY, get a SMALL AMOUNT of penetrating oil and DRIP it onto the screw head. Apply heat from a heat gun from a distance of NOT LESS THAN SIX INCHES to avoid discoloration.

Best of luck,

J
    Appreciate the response,

Do you think some WD40 might be useful with this?

I am going to give it one more shot before I take it to a jewelers to get sorted.

I don't have a heat gun unfortunately but I do have my wifes hairdryer.. haha
    Current Rotation

Sinn 556A 'Red Seconds' Edition
    King Seiko Chronometer 5626
    Oris 65 Diver 40mm
    Tissot PRC200 Powermatic 80
    Seiko SKX013

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Appreciate the response,

I am going to give it one more shot before I take it to a jewelers to get sorted.

I don't particularly care for WD40, you'll never get the smell out. The hair dryer may actually be fine for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate the response,

I had the same problem but with a new watch. First I removed the bracelet.
    Tried dunking it in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Wouldn't shift, either while still hot or when cold. Managed to distort a Bergeon screwdriver.
    I then dried it and sprayed it liberally with WD-40 and left it overnight. Next day the screws came out without any difficulty.

Edit: Re the previous post, just wash it in hot soapy water to get rid of the WD-40.

Never had occasion to try it myself, but I have seen posts on watch and knife forums saying that heat from a hairdryer can be enough to loosen loctite. It's probably worth a shot.

i would say WD 40, really small quantity, leave it for few hours and then try

Watchbuys warned me about using loctite, although I still used a tiny amount of very low bonding grade when resizing.

Sinn supplies a screwdriver tool with the bracelet that fits perfectly and is of very good quality. Are you using a strong, quality screwdriver that fits snug? Also, a small vice, or vice-like device to hold the band securely may help with leverage. Even though you may have excellent vision, IMO jewelers magnification glasses work great with problems like this as they give me more confidence with my grip, screwdriver placement, etc...

I second the running it under hot water for a few minutes idea...

I assume/hope you're working with the bracelet off the watch as you stated it came on a NATO.

Good luck, the bracelet really makes the 856 UTC....
    Last edited by DNARNA; June 29th, 2018 at 14:47.

Thread Information