Sinn 857 Bezel Movement - normal?

Thread: Sinn 857 Bezel Movement - normal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 857 Bezel Movement - normal?

Hi, Just picked up an 857 TESTAF. The bezel is pretty slack. I sent the attached video to Sinn, who says it is within tolerance.

Wanted to see if this is typical for Sinn owners, as it has the most movement of any watch I have ever held.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Re: Sinn 857 Bezel Movement - normal?

My 857 was made in 2008 and the bezel is pretty solid. Very positive dull clicks when moving. If I take it off and hold it firmly in one hand I can wiggle it a little with the other hand, but not much.
    Definitely feels firmly attached.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Banned

The "captive" bezel is affixed with 2 tiny screws at 12 and 6. Perhaps they are a bit loose? Maybe tightening them will solve it. I suppose you already tried this though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, Just picked up an 857 TESTAF. The bezel is pretty slack. I sent the attached video to Sinn, who says it is within tolerance.

Wanted to see if this is typical for Sinn owners, as it has the most movement of any watch I have ever held.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hmmm... I have the same watch (7 months - original owner). Mine looks to have as much play as yours. Wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't seen this, but it doesn't bother me. I think that's just the way these are.
    Casio G-Shock GA1100SC-3A / Casio G-Shock GA2000-3A / Casio G-Shock GW9400-1 / Casio G-Shock GWG1000-1A3 / Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1 / Citizen BJ9030-51E / Halios Laguna (black) / Halios Seaforth the Stacey / Lumi-Nox 3001 / Maratac Pilot Mid / Marathon MSAR 316/500 / Seiko 6309-7049 / Seiko 6309-729A / Seiko SNX427 / Seiko SBDA003 / Sinn 857 UTC TESTAF / Swatch Black Hero Chrono / Waltham Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by dhtjr View Post
    The "captive" bezel is affixed with 2 tiny screws at 12 and 6. Perhaps they are a bit loose? Maybe tightening them will solve it. I suppose you already tried this though.
    Don't know if it's a recent change, but the captive bezel screws are at the 12, 2, 6, and 10 on my 857 UTC Testaf.
    Casio G-Shock GA1100SC-3A / Casio G-Shock GA2000-3A / Casio G-Shock GW9400-1 / Casio G-Shock GWG1000-1A3 / Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1 / Citizen BJ9030-51E / Halios Laguna (black) / Halios Seaforth the Stacey / Lumi-Nox 3001 / Maratac Pilot Mid / Marathon MSAR 316/500 / Seiko 6309-7049 / Seiko 6309-729A / Seiko SNX427 / Seiko SBDA003 / Sinn 857 UTC TESTAF / Swatch Black Hero Chrono / Waltham Pocket Watch

Sinn uses a different technique to attach their bezels and also for the clicking action. This makes the bezel feel/tolerance a little different than the Seiko's, Omega's etc that I have owned. They also have 60 clicks and not 120 as other watches have, so this could cause the action to be slightly less precise. Also I'm sure the unidirectional bezel could impact this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I had an 857 that I purchase about 2009 and have since sold. It had absolutely no play in the bezel. That would bother me enough that I would return it.

i tried tightening the screws but it made no difference, the video is after i tightened them all.

it bothers me, i would probably get over it, but i would always wonder if the bezel will come off after the warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by bracque View Post
    i tried tightening the screws but it made no difference, the video is after i tightened them all.

it bothers me, i would probably get over it, but i would always wonder if the bezel will come off after the warranty period.
    I'm glad you posted this, braque. I've got an EZM 13 and it is similarly loose. I also tried to tighten the screws but to no avail. Very, very disappointing when I received the watch. Trying to get used to it but it just seems cheap to me.

When I received my watch I did a bit of googling and it seems others have had the same impression. Yes, Sinn says it is normal and by design. Sorry, but this design seems cheap to me. Perhaps they can tighten it if we sent it in, but I'm not sure.

Had I actually had a chance to handle my watch before purchasing, I'd have chosen another model.

I had the Lufthansa version of the 857 TESTAF and the bezel was exactly like yours. I asked Watchbuys about it and they said it was normal...so I didn't worry about it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information