Sinn 857 UTC vs VFR
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ragnar375
  • 1 Post By Ragnar375
  • 1 Post By nodnar

Thread: Sinn 857 UTC vs VFR

Sinn 857 UTC vs VFR

Perhaps Iím missing it, but is there a concise description of the differences between the traditional 857 UTC and its new DIN counterpart...other than $200?

Iím not certain that I buy the whole DIN thing, though I appreciate the effort. But Iím just curious if itís worth the extra money for the upgrade.

Thanks for any opinions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Sinn 857 UTC vs VFR

From Sinnís website when I was considering both these plus the LH Cargo, I think I learned the following:

Technically, the regular 857 UTC has a nickel free case back, extreme magnetic resistance.
    The VFR has a non-nickel free case back, and extreme temperature resistance.

Aesthetically, the UTC has all luminous 12, 3, 6, 9 hour numbers, and white 24 hour numbers.
    The VFR has only luminous 12, but also luminous seconds hand, and orange 24 hour numbers.

The nickel free case back is good for nickel sensitive skin, the non-nickel free case back should resist salty sweat a bit better and not affect a compass in any way.
    Regular antimagnetic, and regular temperature resistance should both be good enough for typical usage.

For me the choice is largely aesthetic.

(Iím tempted by the LH Cargo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the DIN actually means is that for a Pilot, when there is instrument failure inside the aircraft, he can rely on a timepiece as an emergency Incase the pilot had to performed timed maneuvers. That 857 VFR has been certified for that, the regular 857 UTC hasnít been certified. It probably can but, Iím sure thatís a selling point to turn out another version of the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sinn 857 UTC vs VFR

Thanks for the reply guys.

Having spent some time on the regulatory side of aviation, I donít think that the DIN certification is quite well understood.

From my understanding, the DIN Cert is a voluntary industry standard and that in Germany alone.

But as an industry certification, unless the regulations are specifically altered to make the certification mandatory or give the certification some credit (say to allow for the watch to serve as a backup timing instrument which allows an aircraft to be considered ďairworthyĒ when it would otherwise be grounded if its ship clock was inoperable) then the certification only serves as a testament to the watches quality.

I confess that I donít know if this certification has any weight in German aviation regulations. Even if it did however, as a German standard it would inherit no transferable authority to other countries.

As for literally using the watch in an emergency, the common phrasing of the regulations usually say that you can deviate from ANY portion of the regulations in the interest of safety.

So you can pretty much use a egg timer or hourglass if it gets you on the ground and youíll probably be admired for your quick thinking!

Thatís all just spitballing however.

All Iím really curious about is what changes Sinn made to the UTC version of the 857 to make it DIN compliant, which was kindly answered by nodnar above. Not sure that thereís anything there that I couldnít live without. I was really hoping that they would up the lume since it was a bit anemic on my old 857 and current UX.

Interesting stuff guys! Thanks for the responses!

One thing I haven't been able to find in the 857 VFR reviews and the Sinn site is if each and every 857 VFR has been tested with DIN 8330 or if a random sample are tested or what. Does anyone here happen to know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Having spent some time on the regulatory side of aviation, I donít think that the DIN certification is quite well understood.

From my understanding, the DIN Cert is a voluntary industry standard and that in Germany alone.

But as an industry certification, unless the regulations are specifically altered to make the certification mandatory or give the certification some credit (say to allow for the watch to serve as a backup timing instrument which allows an aircraft to be considered ďairworthyĒ when it would otherwise be grounded if its ship clock was inoperable) then the certification only serves as a testament to the watches quality.

I confess that I donít know if this certification has any weight in German aviation regulations. Even if it did however, as a German standard it would inherit no transferable authority to other countries.

As for literally using the watch in an emergency, the common phrasing of the regulations usually say that you can deviate from ANY portion of the regulations in the interest of safety.

So you can pretty much use a egg timer or hourglass if it gets you on the ground and youíll probably be admired for your quick thinking!

Thatís all just spitballing however.

All Iím really curious about is what changes Sinn made to the UTC version of the 857 to make it DIN compliant, which was kindly answered by nodnar above. Not sure that thereís anything there that I couldnít live without. I was really hoping that they would up the lume since it was a bit anemic on my old 857 and current UX.

Interesting stuff guys! Thanks for the responses!

Exactly, I believe the DIN is a selling point, I donít think in anyway a wristwatch would serve as a supplemental timer to make an ACFT airworthy, Based on regulation alone.

Like you said, an egg timer can put you in the ball park if itís 45 secs from the FAF to the MAP.

Deacon211 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Free Fall View Post
    One thing I haven't been able to find in the 857 VFR reviews and the Sinn site is if each and every 857 VFR has been tested with DIN 8330 or if a random sample are tested or what. Does anyone here happen to know ?
    That would be something you could email them. They are pretty good about responding to questions.

Deacon211 likes this.

Just is just one example, but my UX lume is quite different than my 900. Iíve read Sinn has different requirements for the UX, like the hands should be brighter than the indexes, and the lume should last long even without ďchargingĒ.
    Im not saying the 857 will be great because I donít know. Just saying the UX is not apples to apples.

Deacon211 likes this.

Thanks again guys.

Unfortunately I didnít have my 857 and UX simultaneously so I couldnít compare the two.

It wasnít my impression that either watch had the lume of something like the Omega 2254.

I might shoot the company a message and see if I can see what they changed.

Thread Information