Sinn 903 H2 en route: Wear or care?

View Poll Results: Sinn 903 H2: Wear it or care it?

Voters
23. This poll is closed
  • Wear it: It is a watch for goodness sakes. Don't rob its' purpose!

22 95.65%
  • Care it: Sold out worldwide and truly unique. Treasure as a special piece.

1 4.35%

Thread: Sinn 903 H2 en route: Wear or care?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Sinn 903 H2 en route: Wear or care?

So I will start off by admitting that this thread is a desparate attempt to fill the miserable void that occurs when you know a new find is en route and you can't wait to geek out. Anyway, through luck and generosity, I have stumbled into a nice example of a 903 H2. It is coming with all the packaging and accessories, and the leather strap is unworn, but sans that nice bracelet. It has a few hairlines and a small AR smudge, but is in great shape otherwise.

So my question to the Sinn-o-philes with a lot more knowledge than I have is this: Wear it or care it? Meaning, is this a watch I should pamper and wear sparingly, have the AR corrected, polish the hairlines and little strap change marks, buy the replacement bracelet (At a painful $400 bucks) and baby as a truly unique timepiece? Or should I enjoy it as I would any other nice watch, wear it whenever I feel like it, flip it if something else strikes me (Admission time: I am a chronic flipper)? I have never been a collector, always keeping three or four watches at most and using them with freedom regularly. But the rarity of this piece, the beautiful Lemania movement, the striking dial, etc. are making me wonder if this should be a first in terms of collectability and pampering.

I know no one else can tell me what to do, so I guess a better question is, what would YOU do? Thanks for indulging my stir crazy wait for this really striking timepiece.
    Last edited by Cubbiepants; August 26th, 2008 at 14:28.

Re: Sinn 903 H2 en route: Wear or care?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbiepants View Post
    So my question to the Sinn-o-philes with a lot more knowledge than I have is this: Wear it or care it?
    (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubbiepants View Post
    I know no one else can tell me what to do, so I guess a better question is, what would YOU do? Thanks for indulging my stir crazy wait for this really striking timepiece.
    -I'd say 'wear it'. It is a watch, it is meant to be used - and it will stand up to quite a lot of use without degrading to a point from which a regular service will not be able to restore it to its original condition.

Wear it, enjoy it - at least that's what I would do.
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

I have a H4 which is of a similar built quality. I meant to wear it as a daily-beater, but end up babying it instead because of the polished bracelet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Looks like early results point to wear and enjoy. I hear you about polished bracelets. I actually plan on leaving the original Sinn leather unworn in case I get flip fever, and tote this watch around on a DiModell Chronissimo.

Watch needs a wrist. If you have it, you wear it. Otherwise send it to my wrist!
    Last edited by TZAG; August 26th, 2008 at 23:24.
    just above sea level

Enjoy this splendid watch as soon as it lands! Sending it back to service right away would be very frustating, especially for the small inconvenience you described.
    After a while, you will see if you really need to send it for service, else, wait that the movement request service to send it.
    When my Sinn 156 arrived with its small problem on the reset of the hour chrono sub counter, i wanted to send it also, i waited, and now, i don't even pay attention to it.
    My Sinn 903 also needed a glass polish ( mineral glass on the 903.ST.GL ), but it took only a couple of day and few money to have it back in perfect condition.

Banned

This all pretty much fits with my usual view on watches. But the limited edition and unique movement are new beasts in my experience. Guess I will really know how I feel when the watch hits my doorstep. USPS priority is pretty much useless sometimes....this being one of those times. Tomorrow will be the fourth business day and their confirmation number still shows the watch on the other side of the country. Good grief, I hate waiting for a new watch!

Wear it, otherwise why buy it? There are much better investment grade watches out there than Sinn if you want a watch that you would just put away. Sinn is meant for wearing, and Lemania is not a rare collectible movement that needs to go into the vault. The only reason Sinn calls it rare is because they can no longer get the movement. It is the 2 register version of the movement that goes into the Speedmaster.

I never buy watches to just put them away, I take my IWC, JLC, Lange, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc... to work everyday. At the 903 H2 price point (even for a brand new one), it is not in a category that require babying, typically that is reserved for watches like a minute repeater, a grand comp, or a double split.

Wear it and enjoy it.

I used to be heavily in the classic Corvette market, and my rule was that I would never buy a car I couldn't drive. No trailer queens for me.

Park it in a temperature controlled cocoon, wiping it with some techno-impregnated baby diaper while I fondle myself thinking what a cool car I have??? Laughable!!!

Enzo Ferrari. Ferdinand Porsche. Battista Pininfarina. Alec Issigonis. Nuccio Bertone. Zora Duntov. Bill Mitchell. The Maserati brothers. Albrecht Goertz. Harley Earl. Giorgetto Giugiaro. Malcolm Sayer. Marcello Gandini. All spinning in their graves over this type of mental automotive m*st*rb*tion.

Bikes are for riding. Cars are for driving. Watches are for wearing.

Life is for living!!!

Banned

Outstanding replies. In the true spirit inspired by this thread, I snatched up a pre-owned bracelet for the watch from a kind fellow forumer and will enjoy the new Sinn to the max

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information