Sinn Chronometer Movement vs. U1 Movement

Thread: Sinn Chronometer Movement vs. U1 Movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn Chronometer Movement vs. U1 Movement

Besides the chronometer certification , is there any substantial difference in these two movements ?
    Last edited by Pureslab; July 10th, 2006 at 06:59.

Re: Sinn Chronometer Movement vs. U1 Movement

The U1 uses a ETA 2824-2, a reliable workhorse. The Chronometer movements that Sinn offers are all ETA 2892-2. This is considered a finer movement with focus on long term wear and precision. A 2892 base movement in top execution costs three times as much dirctly from ETA as the 2824. Even Sinn in their website describe this movement as considered the best ever made by ETA. Saying this, the 2824 is a very good movement too, as Sinn only use the top grades without decoration. One other difference is also, that the 2892 is slimmer and will fit into slim line watches where the 2824 will not fit. At the end of the day what matters is how much abuse you throw at your watch, this will determine the wear of the movement. As for the Chronometer Cert, it is only a piece of paper that prooves that this movement is capable of running within norm at the time of certification, but no guarantee for the future. Certified movements however usually have higher grade parts built in to pass the test and will run very precise, if well adjusted and looked after.

redstart

Quote Originally Posted by Pureslab
    Besides the chronometer certification , is there any substantial difference in these two movements ?
    My U1 and UTS 3000M both have ETA 2824-2 movements, and they both run within chronometer parameters without bearing the chronometer certificate. They have proved just as accurate as my two Stowa chronometers and my Eterna SuperKontiki chronometer. Chronometer certification might be of value when it comes time to resell a watch. --redstart
    Last edited by redstart; October 9th, 2006 at 07:55.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

redstart

Quote Originally Posted by dibetu
    The U1 uses a ETA 2824-2, a reliable workhorse. The Chronometer movements that Sinn offers are all ETA 2892-2. This is considered a finer movement with focus on long term wear and precision. A 2892 base movement in top execution costs three times as much dirctly from ETA as the 2824. Even Sinn in their website describe this movement as considered the best ever made by ETA. ...
    Quite interesting, dibetu. Thanks. I know IWC use the 2892 in some of their watches, as do Rainer Brand, Ebel, Ulysse Nardin, and Martin Braun. Pretty spiffy endorsements. I'd like to learn more. The ETA website is curiously silent on this movement, unless I missed something. --redstart
    Last edited by redstart; July 10th, 2006 at 11:20.

Moderator Emeritus

First of all, let me say this. I really don't know much about COSC specifications. I believe that this is a certification that the movement performs within the COSC specifications...at the place of certification.

The movement is shipped to the watch manufacturer and is installed and checked again. Then it is eventually shipped to a dealer or authorized dealer or brick and mortar or....directly to you. Many hands and machines will touch the package containing your watch before you get your hands on it. It may or may not be banged or dropped or it may or may not come into contact with a magnetic field. All of this may or may not affect the accuracy of your watch and the movement may or may not perform outside the COSC specification when you receive it.

The point is, along the way, your watch may encounter forces which might affect the accuracy of it's movement and it may now operate outside the COSC specified accuracy range. You may be paying for a certification which you might never receive.

It is up to the buyer to either accept that this scenario is probable, improbable or impossible. It is up to the buyer to place his own value on the COSC certification. I myself will not pay a premium for this certification when I do not have a guarantee that I will receive a watch which is running within COSC specs.

It seems to me that pretty much all Sinns and other ETA movements found within high end models are received running to COSC specs and that many movements which are meant for these high end models are fine tuned to these specifications but without the independant certification. I have several high end watches which are all running within COSC specs and without the costly certification.

I do agree with the fact that the resale value of a watch may increase because the COSC certification certificate can be provided for that watch but a premium was paid to get it and after someone has owned and worn it, it may not be running within these specs as it may have been dropped, banged or have been in frequent contact with a magnetic field(s). A person buying this watch will pay more than for an uncertified watch but may not receive this perceived and expected accuracy.

I will leave the technical details of which movements are certified or not and the differences between movements and the finer points of certification to the experts on this.

Just some thoughts though.

cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; July 10th, 2006 at 11:31.

Sinn emphasize that in their view, the accuracy of a movement is best regulated when already mounted in the case (COSC certification is done without original dial, hands and case). I find that argument convincing.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't aware of the actual state of the movement when certification is done. Thanks for posting that Martin. Now knowing this, I concur with Sinn's assessment of the accuracies of movements.

I believe that the owners who have received their new U1's are quite happy with the accuracies of their movements, at least that what I've come to believe based on threads and posts here and the many who have posted accuracy comments in the U ownership experience thread. The chances of you receiving a superbly tuned U1 which will perform within COSC specs. are excellent.

One thing I can add is that all Sinn watches I have ever owned were all running within chronometer norm on my wrist, which proofes what Crusader mentioned, Sinn adjusts their watches very well after caseing up. I have had numerous Chronometer Watches from very reputable Swiss companies that were way off Chronometer spec.
    Regarding the ETA Site, I can not find any spec on the 2892, as one needs a password to get access to their mecaline speciality movements.

redstart

Quote Originally Posted by dibetu
    ... Regarding the ETA Site, I can not find any spec on the 2892, as one needs a password to get access to their mecaline speciality movements.
    There should be a minimal entry for it in the back of most recent issues of "Wristwatch Annual". I've a spare at the office, and will post what's there in an hour or so. Right now I'm on free wireless, waiting at the bus stop. (Ain't technology grand?) In the meantime, which Sinn models are C.O.S.C. certified? Any non-chronographs? --redstart
    Last edited by redstart; July 10th, 2006 at 12:17.

redstart

Re: ETA 2892 movement

Quote Originally Posted by redstart
    There should be a minimal entry for it in the back of most recent issues of "Wristwatch Annual". I've a spare at the office, and will post what's there in an hour or so. ...--redstart
    Here they are, from "Wristwatch Annual 2006":
    ETA Caliber 2892-A2
    Mechanical with automatic winding, ball-bearing rotor, stop-seconds, power reserve 42 hours
    Functions: hours, minutes, sweep seconds; date window with quick-set at 3 o'clock
    Diameter: 25.6mm (11½''') [11½ lignes]
    Height: 3.6mm
    Jewels: 21
    Frequency: 28,800vph
    Fine adjustment system: ETACHRON with index

Not much to go on, is it?

--redstart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information