Sinn+Construction Environ...OK or sin of Sinn[s]?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sinn+Construction Environ...OK or sin of Sinn[s]?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sinn+Construction Environ...OK or sin of Sinn[s]?

My questions directs to just how tough these Sinn watches are. I own and wear one watch-its' always been just a tool that I essentially look thru and not at. Basic and rugged are its' only requirements.

I work in a construction environment that is brutal to anything that I put on in the morning, let alone a watch. Right now that watch is a Luminox Marine, that has for 3 years proven itself awfully rugged and equal to the world it lives in. Also, if I break it, a replacement doesn't break my budget.

Don't know what led me to looking at these Sinn Watches, but the more I look, the more I want to look. My resistance is weakening. Question. Is it a sin to throw a Sinn to the crucible of construction? Is this an abomination that could have me banned from this and all other enthusiast forums for life?

For anyone who is staying with me here, I'm looking [all too] longingly at a 656.

Re: Sinn+Construction Environ...OK or sin of Sinn[s]?

Are you hammering and nailing or just pointing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shogan191 View Post
    Are you hammering and nailing or just pointing?
    Fair question. My hammer & nail days are long gone. Nowadays I mostly unroll drawings and point, and survey and cajole. Occasionally I push myself to grab one end of something somebody is lifting.

Your query is a valid one. If things get real rough, my Luminox goes into a pocket. Hmmm...that might help to explain its' longevity!? Dunno. But there's always the occasional knock that I didn't see coming. When push comes to shove, it's still "out there".

I think the essential point I'm wondering is; are Sinn watches truly 'rugged', or are they somewhat thin-skinned and 'elitist' (but in a good way, if you catch my drift)?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That does make a big difference but even if your unrolling plans it's hard not to grab and pull with the rest of them.

I'm thinking it would be a geat choice as long as it's got a saphire chrystal.

I picked up a less expensive Debaufre Ocean1 for my rough work and saltwater exposure but I wear my Sinn for office and other work. If I were a foreman, GC, or site manager I'd be comfortable wearing the Sinn.

You may want to go with one of Sinn's tegimented watches like say the856, 857 or a U1 that has a tegimented bezel. They are much more resistant to scratches and more durable than the other models. the 656 is a great watch but IMHO not as durable as the tegimented models

The Sinn you want to buy may last for a long time, but there is always a possibility damaging a watch.
    HaymondWong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EROKS View Post
    You may want to go with one of Sinn's tegimented watches... the 656 is a great watch but...
    The '656' had caught my fancy for a couple of reasons. I just like the look of it-it fits neatly the way I want a watch face to look back at me, and the price, frankly, is at the high end of what I could justify; tempting a realm much higher than I normally think of with watches.

So...a sub-question. I note that the '656' comes in a 'galvanized' case. Is that formulation another level higher than the basic steel case? Approaching, but not to the level of, tegimentation?

Thats a good question. I don't know if it is a higher level than basic steel but I can tell you that it will scratch very easily. I used to own one and it was easily marked if it was bumped into anything just being around home or even desk diving. I wouldn't even think about wearing it around a construction site. I have a U1 and an 857 on tegimented bracelet and I have knocked them both into several things, even metal and i have yet to mark either one of them. I do agree that the 656 is a great looking watch and I'm sure it will take a beating and keep running...I just don't think the case would be very resistant to scratches and scuffs if thats what your concern was with wearing it around a construction site

You should be okay with most any Sinn you're looking at. I work with my hands too and as long as you aren't doing things like using a jackhammer you're probably okay. Automatics should be avoided if your hand will be subjected to shocks but since most of us wear watches on the non-dominant wrist, not alot of activities will transmit a substantial shock (golf or baseball can, though many people report no problems even doing those things... personally, I wouldn't).

Having said that though, the 656s is galvanized as opposed to PVD and will be more prone to showing scratches than a regular steel watch. I would advise skipping the black and just going with the regular 656 if you can't move up to one of the tegimented watches. I've got some battered automatics and they still run fine, though they have quite a bit of "personality".

Quote Originally Posted by EROKS View Post
    Thats a good question. I don't know if it is a higher level than basic steel but I can tell you that it will scratch very easily. I just don't think the case would be very resistant to scratches and scuffs if thats what your concern was...
    Interesting comment concerning the galvanization.

To your second point; no, that is actually not my concern. I recently read somewhere (to paraphrase) that scars are proof that one has a history. Likewise, I wouldn't lament my watch showing such 'character'. A journalist I met in Nam once showed me a Nikon that actually had damage from a bullet (I was very impressed), and it still worked! I took that image away with me, and still keep it as a standard.

So no, I would not at all regret the little dings of usage. I just want the watch to be tough, and in its' soul be able to make it to the end of the day with me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information