Sinn EZM3 AR coating
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sinn EZM3 AR coating

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn EZM3 AR coating

I had recently received a used one. Though the watch is in ok shape the AR coating has a lot of scratches. After some of the negative feed back about RGM's servicing and less than satisfactory communication on my end, it leaves me with relatively few choices. Either I just live with it. OR... Send off to Sinn or possibly remove the AR coating on my own. I have found some articles about removal but have found no information on the pitfalls and proper way of removing the bezel. Any information would be helpful.

Re: Sinn EZM3 AR coating

What is the trouble with RGM? The biggest question is, do you want the AR or not? If so, RGM is the easiest choice, or spend the $$$ for shipping and send it off to Sinn. Removing the EZM3 bezel is easy with a bezel knife, it is simply a snap on bezel. Just be sure to pay attention to the spring.

An entirely different approach is to send it in to Sinn or RGM for a full service with specific instructions to replace the crystal. A bit more spendy, but you will essentially have a new watch.
    Too many flipped...

Yeah.... definitely need to give some thought as to what you want re AR as Geof3 suggested. Because if you replace the crystal to get fresh AR you most likely will mark it up again eventually if you really wear the watch. AR coatings don't seem to be the most durable... which is a shame given how rugged the rest of a Sinn watch is, but that's how it goes... most people just learn to ignore the relatively small marks that come over time on the AR. If it's a massive mark though then that's a different story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still milling it around. The issue is that I just received it so I'm a little hesitant about sending it off to Germany or RGM where it will disappear for months. RGM seemed to have a reasonable estimate at around $200.00 but from what other peoples experiences are with CS and turn-around.... Or send it to Sinn then pay shipping, then repair and then Duties which could make the repair twice as expensive as RGM but I might have it back sooner. It's a conundrum.

I would tough it out until time for a service. By then you should know if you want the external AR. And the shipping, etc. fees will be part of a scheduled expense. Not just for the AR issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you are considering a new crystal have a go with some Polywatch. If you mess it up no harm done as you were going to stump up for a new crystal anyway.

It's pretty easy to do. I did my Ball Trainmaster and Fortis with the Polywatch two part kit. Tape off the bezel with blue tape. I used the 2mm stuff I have to model planes. Easy. Took 5 minutes. I was careful but, ya know, it's a watch, not a baby. None of these AR coatings last much. They look pretty when new and make the dial pop but...
    There might be a reason Rolex won't use them.
    Last edited by parsig9; August 5th, 2018 at 19:20.

I've had AR coated watches for years, and can't for the life of me understand how these coatings get so trashed. I use my watches, outside doing all manor of things and just generally wearing them a lot. Short of a minor mark or two, I've never had an AR coating that I thought needed to be removed or replaced due to it being nasty/scratched badly. Enlighten me how this happens?
    parsig9 likes this.
    Too many flipped...

I have friends and relatives, none “watch people” mind you, that regularly lay their watches face down on any nearby surface. I’m not saying anyone here would do that. But a used watch might have some history.

One of my watches, not expensive, was loaned and I saw it face down in their car console toll coin tray. It has been returned, but can’t hardly be read if there’s any reflection at all. It’s mineral crystal will have to be replaced, or the watch tossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    I've had AR coated watches for years, and can't for the life of me understand how these coatings get so trashed. I use my watches, outside doing all manor of things and just generally wearing them a lot. Short of a minor mark or two, I've never had an AR coating that I thought needed to be removed or replaced due to it being nasty/scratched badly. Enlighten me how this happens?
    I like to buy good used watches and both those I mentioned were that. But, I know when I am bidding that there may be issues like AR or a cleaning or light restoration needed. Still, the value is there and I can live without the AR or a bump here or there. I think it happens with one watch wearers who are not that cautious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information