Is Sinn-ing worthit?

View Poll Results: Is Sinn-ing pinching your pocketbook?

Voters
120. This poll is closed
  • I don't worry about those kinds of things...I'm set.

19 15.83%
  • I only buy what I can afford and I've carefully thought it through.

87 72.50%
  • I have made significant modifications to my lifestyle so I can pay for my new acquisitions.

7 5.83%
  • I have to sell something....fast.

8 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Is Sinn-ing worthit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Sinn-ing worthit?

I've been a member here for a while now and have a created a few polls that have drawn more than 2,000 clicks and counting. So my attempt here is to do the same by giving you the opportunity to vote again. With the price of oil at record highs and a slumping US economy, is spending more money on watches a gamble? I have a 3k+ watch incoming (757 Diapal), am employed, and fortunately don't have kids to put through college. My wife makes about as much as I do, so I suppose the only person I'm putting at risk here is myself. However, I want to check the pulse of those who may be less fortunate....or perhaps those who may simply have a little more foresight. Please vote accordingly.

Thanks again,
    R.

*update*
    definitely worthit imho

Last edited by rahbii; August 15th, 2008 at 03:33.
    Two wrists and too many watches....

Re: Is Sinn-ing worthit?

I travel a lot with the government and get paid to eat while on travel at a daily rate. Instead of eating out (or drinking out...), I buy groceries the first day I arrive and eat them during the week. Keeps me healthier and my watch habit (kind of like crack??) relatively satisfied.

Also, I'm chasing a master's degree, so I don't have much time to have fun anyway....

Usually make a couple of hundred per trip. Couple of trips and I'm back in business!!
    Respectfully,
    Paul

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

I'm in the same boat as Paul (not literally). I get per-diem when I'm on the road and fairly decent COLA to offset the horrible Dollar to Euro exchange rate. All that and the Sinns are a little cheaper over here to boot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deepcdvr View Post
    I travel a lot with the government and get paid to eat while on travel at a daily rate. Instead of eating out (or drinking out...), I buy groceries the first day I arrive and eat them during the week. Keeps me healthier and my watch habit (kind of like crack??) relatively satisfied.

Also, I'm chasing a master's degree, so I don't have much time to have fun anyway....

Usually make a couple of hundred per trip. Couple of trips and I'm back in business!!
    Deepcdvr, this is me, minus the master's! I work for the gov't in a high travel capacity and I do the same as you. I have lost weight and lowered my cholosterol and blood pressure as a result.

With the money I've saved, I've bought a Sinn 856 and a Ball Night Train in the last two months. I am planning to buy a Stowa Airman w/o the logo by August, unless I find a Sinn 556 at a really good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleindian44 View Post
    Deepcdvr, this is me, minus the master's! I work for the gov't in a high travel capacity and I do the same as you. I have lost weight and lowered my cholosterol and blood pressure as a result.

With the money I've saved, I've bought a Sinn 856 and a Ball Night Train in the last two months. I am planning to buy a Stowa Airman w/o the logo by August, unless I find a Sinn 556 at a really good price.
    I'm already skinny enough! Good luck on your pursuit... I'll have a 656 in the trade section soon if you are interested... (sorry for the free not-so-subliminal advertisement, rahbii)
    Respectfully,
    Paul

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

I used to make more money from reimbursements before the era of $4 per gallon gas came along!

I'll check the trade section for your watch.

I retired young last year. actually a forced retirement. I raced for over 18 years. to many neck surgeries put me off the roster. so I'm set. my kids are working, my ex is happily spending my money. interest off of one of my accounts pays for watches. I have other interests though that eclipse the watch budget. to me, sinn represents the best in german watches and I'll continue to get them.

I originally came here to buy a replacement mint condition Seiko Chronograph from 1982 that was stolen in a burglary. I still have yet to find the exact replacement, but I've managed to find some other great non-Seiko timepieces along the way that I enjoy wearing.

Sinn is the most recent one on my wrist. The 856 with companion bracelet is a certain keeper. The 856 grabbed the wallet right out of my hand, and the rest is history...

As it can be with all new and re-established interests, especially with watches, there's a fine line between obsession and enthusiasm. The balance is slowly, but surely coming into focus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Paul (not literally). I get per-diem when I'm on the road and fairly decent COLA to offset the horrible Dollar to Euro exchange rate. All that and the Sinns are a little cheaper over here to boot.
    I just get reimbursed. No way for me to use it to fund the watch habit! I'm actually in Vegas on business as we speak.

Cool I don't think of myself as "less fortunate" but...

Similar deal as Paul & Bo...travel a lot for my Uncle, except no boats (Paul), no Euros (Bo), and I managed to catch my MS already. I likewise buy groceries rather than eat out whenever possible, so I save what I can from my excursions.

Good economy or bad - while I do not like to haggle, I will not buy for sticker price. So I hunt for and "negotiate" for bargains, and it never hurts to have friends with connections...always looking for the best info on dealers.

AND I love new timepieces, but some of my most satisfying acquisitions have been used watches - my 103 and my O7 LM-1 in particular. I like to think of them as adoptions.

Success lies in diversification. A single strategy will rarely get you to your goal...except maybe one, inheritance. Unfortunately, that one was not available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information