Sinn instructing merchants not to sell to U.S buyers?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sinn instructing merchants not to sell to U.S buyers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn instructing merchants not to sell to U.S buyers?

I was inquiring about Sinn watches on Chrono24 and was told by a merchant that since Baselworld 2018, Sinn instructed them not to sell/ship to U.S. buyers. Is this true? If so, why?

Re: Sinn instructing merchants not to sell to U.S buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by bluekc View Post
    I was inquiring about Sinn watches on Chrono24 and was told by a merchant that since Baselworld 2018, Sinn instructed them not to sell/ship to U.S. buyers. Is this true? If so, why?
    I bought a 556 from an AD in Munich a week and a half ago. I don't see anything on watchbuys.com either.

AFAIK, it is a long-standing policy of Sinn.........no Sinn dealer (other than Watchbuys) can ship to U.S. or Canada.
    I know this for a fact because a few years back, Page & Cooper and another dealer from Europe refused to ship me a UX. Another dealer from Germany was ready to ship but clarified that in case of warranty work, I will have to ship the watch back to him and he will re-ship back once he got the warranty work taken care of etc.

Not sure how strictly Sinn enforces this policy.
    sefrcoko likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watchbuys is the official North American dealer. I have gotten 5 Sinns through them, with no issues. It may be a business agreement between Watchbuys and Sinn that they are the exclusive North American dealer.

It may be possible for European dealers to ship used Sinn watches, I am not sure, and they may not bother to risk it.

And for what it's worth, Watchbuys was great to work with when I bought my 856.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Watchbuys is fantastic. Those two (I think there are two) are terrific to work with.
    Best Regards,

--Todd

As others have stated, it's not a new policy. Not sure who told you it was only since Basel 2018 (maybe that's the first that particular merchant heard of it) - Watchbuys is the only authorized dealer in the US, and through whatever contracts they've worked out, they have a monopoly on the US market.

I bought my Sinn through WB and had a good experience (as good as "I'll take that watch", paying them, and having it shipped can be anyway - no complaints on that simple transaction)...

I did contact Page and Cooper in the UK on two occasions to try to purchase a different Sinn they had in stock and WB did not (and at a better price than WB offers it, even after GBP/USD conversion) - received no response the first time, and was told they cannot sell to the US the second time.

You may be able to find someone that will work around the margins, but any of the big AD's probably will not ship overseas and risk their contract with Sinn.
    bluekc likes this.

(edited to remove accidental double post)

I'm friends with a gentleman who did some product photography work for Sinn's US distributor at one point, and this topic came up in discussion along the way. According to the best of his knowledge, Sinn has an exclusive contract with the US distributor, meaning that all watches coming into the US via an authorized dealer pass through that one company's hands. Again, according to him, an AD intentionally circumventing this policy could be risking their AD status with Sinn by doing so. That also means that a watch bought from an overseas Sinn AD is technically still a grey market watch because, though it came from an AD in whatever nation it the vendor is located in, as soon as it crosses the US border without having passed through the US distributor, the AD benefits (warranty) are nullified.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt. It has been a while since I talked to him about this, but the aforetold is accurate to the best of my knowledge and memory.
    bluekc likes this.

Yeah I bought my Sinn 104 off of watchbuys and they shipped it out the next morning. Even got a phone call from them to confirm it was me that made the purchase. A++ service from those guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information