Sinn Lume/856 UTC Lume - let's see some please

Thread: Sinn Lume/856 UTC Lume - let's see some please

Picture Sinn Lume/856 UTC Lume - let's see some please

At first I thought I was doing something differently with my old 3meg camera, but other lume shots of other less substantial watches are considerably more robust.

This is not about camera settings, but the idea that Sinn does not use the same lume material or as much as other manufacturers, at least on their non-divers.

While I am thrilled to wear a Sinn , specifically the 856 UTC, the lume on it is what I would consider, wimpy...Unless it gets a super-dose of bright light, it shines relatively dimly and does not hold a charge very long. However, I really like this Sinn and it will continue to get plenty of wrist time...

Is this why I don't see very many Sinn lume shots, specifically coming from the 856 or is mine just a simple example of a dial gone bad? (I would think the Sinn dive watches are heavy-duty lumers, though) My observation - same for you?

Last edited by inlanding; June 25th, 2008 at 23:06.

Re: Sinn Lume/856 UTC Lume - let's see some please

Hi,

Here's my 656:

I've made the same observations as you have - with a decent charge, the lume is OK, but it dims rapidly. I guess that is the price we pay for the aesthetics of the dial - the white C1 SuperLuminova used on the *56 dials fades a lot faster than the greenish C3. The b/w dials look extremely good, though, so I kind of think it is worth it.

After an hour or so, my 656 is almost entirely dark, whereas my C3-equipped PlanetOcean still glows (relatively) brightly when I wake up in the morning.

As for lume shots, they are notoriously difficult to compare - exposures vary wildly.
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

My 556 is the same. Sad

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I consider the lume on my 856 pretty good. If I charge it before bed, I can certainly read it at any point through the night. I like the layout of the lume too, this watch is easy to read in the day or night. Although the 24 hour hand doesn't have lume which is bad.

I have an 857 and the lume surprised me. It holds through the night easily, and it was a nice bonus. I usually charge it before bed (before 12 or so), and when I wake up between 4-5 to discover I have another hour to sleep, the watch is still shining.

1 second exposure, F3.8, dark room. Photo has not been modified.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your take on it.

Virtually all watches lume well 20 seconds after a good charge.

So, what you are showing in your second lume shot is taken 6 hours into the night?

Perhaps there is a difference between the 857 and 856 in terms of lume, but I am beginning to think the hands and dial on my 856 are substandard relative to other 856 watches.

Still need more information, though. It is not very conclusive to me.
    Last edited by inlanding; June 26th, 2008 at 16:39.

no, the second lume shot is probably a few minutes after charging...

i will get the camera ready, and one night, if I wake up half conscious, I will take the pics of what the watch looks like for my occassional 4am bathroom break.

on the subject of lume, tritium tubes are never as bright as fully charged sl, but hold their lume consitently, without charging.

this is the mother of all lume, by Ball NightTrain. Below it is my Ball Moonphase, which uses less tubes that are filled with 25 mllicures of tritium gas. The NightTrain has 63 tubes filled with 100 millicure of tritium gas.

kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Thread Information