WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sinn Meisterbund III...who has one...& is it worth it?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Perseus 
#1 ·
OK have tracked down a new Meisterbund III (Japan only model) and have been giving some serious thought to pulling the trigger on it....those of you in the know what are your thoughts...I see on the forum one that was bought about a year ago but was then flipped within a couple of months...is it because the love affair wore off or that the percieved 'difference' wasn't sufficient to make it worth the extra $$$...thoughts anyone...

#2 · (Edited)
Sinn has produced quite a few limited editions for the Japanese market.
Some look smart, but I recall one particular model that I would only bury in the lowest depths of my watch cabinet.

I have wondered what the driver behind this string of limited editions might be; a demand by the local Sinn agent, or a particular demand in the Japanese market for unique watches that are different from the Sinns that everybody else is wearing.

Although Sinn is known to occasionally produce small batches on demand; this trend in Japan stands out from the rest; the closest that springs to my mind are several limited editions in Germany for the "Roberto" jeweler that mainly differed in dial color and also carried the "Roberto" name.

Which brings me back to the point that this is probably driven by special orders from the local agent in Japan.

From a technical side, there seems to be nothing new enough in these watches that would prompt Sinn to try it on a larger scale.

So would I spring extra money for this?
Probably not, unless it is a model that would give me something that I have long been searching for in a watch.

Because of the choice of colors in the Meisterbund III, this model has limited appeal to divers, the placement of the crown is also not everybody's cup of tea.
So there is nothing that would increase the functionality of this watch.

So besides the fact that apparently only 80 were produced, is there anything that would justify a rather steep price of approximately $4,500?

Not in my book...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#3 ·
While don't have a Meisterbund III and have not seen a real one, I think it
looks good. It is a striking design. For me the disadvantage is the lack of
minute markers and the loss of the UTC function, but I would be happy to
wear it.

It is worth thinking about that all Sinn watches have been expensive in
Japan. The Meisterbund III is priced lower than the equivalent U2 model.
When watchuseek members purchased and showed us their Meisterbund III
watches the Yen was much stronger against the dollar. Here, look at this.

Text Line Plot Slope Wave

Today, the Meisterbund III is priced at $3460 if you buy it in Japan as a
non-citizen and take it out of the country. In the US that is still more than
the U2 model. Though the price is high, I don't think it is crazy. Only you
can decide if the Meisterbund III holds that much appeal for you. Just
remember, watches are not an investment.

We need a photo. Member grechuta posted this one.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Thanks,
rationaltime

#4 ·
Greetings,

There are minute markers on the dial, but they're in black and hard to see. And I love the position of the crown.

I am that forum member who bought one about a year ago, then sold a few months later. The reason simply was I don't hold on to watches for long. That said, I picked up another Mesiterbund III a few months ago and haven't yet sold it!

I love the solidity of Sinn watches and the U1 and U2 series are superb in my opinion. For various reasons though I just never loved them on my wrist. The Meisterbund III is different.

So to answer the original question - my selling the first one had nothing to do with perceived loss of value, it was just the compulsion to buy other watches.

Right now I'm wearing my EZM2 GSG9, but think I'll go put on the Meisterbund ...

#7 ·
Thats great Grechuta, congrats - since I became aware of the Meisterbund III a couple of months back I have been chasing one. The contact I had established in Japan has subsequently informed me that the MB III I had tracked down had sold so Im back to square one. If you dont mind me asking - who did you find one through, was is from Japan?
Cheers - Longstride.

Greetings,

There are minute markers on the dial, but they're in black and hard to see. And I love the position of the crown.

I am that forum member who bought one about a year ago, then sold a few months later. The reason simply was I don't hold on to watches for long. That said, I picked up another Mesiterbund III a few months ago and haven't yet sold it!

I love the solidity of Sinn watches and the U1 and U2 series are superb in my opinion. For various reasons though I just never loved them on my wrist. The Meisterbund III is different.

So to answer the original question - my selling the first one had nothing to do with perceived loss of value, it was just the compulsion to buy other watches.

Right now I'm wearing my EZM2 GSG9, but think I'll go put on the Meisterbund ...

#5 ·
Very nice watch. Go get it mate!!

#9 ·
Yeah, I got both of them direct from Japan. I lived near Tokyo for 10 years, so I asked one of my Japanese friends to buy this one and send it back to me. Yahoo Japan Auctions is a good place to find rare Japanese watches. And there are online companies that handle everything smoothly and easily .... since it's nearly impossible to do international deals via Yahoo Japan Auctions.

#11 ·
Limited Editions are rarely a value proposition. In general watches are an emotional/discretionary purchase; limited editions/exclusivity are but some of the levers the industry pulls to set their hook. The MB III's inspiration from the IWC Bund and just my affinity for Sinn styling and excution made it a slam dunk, but it's a pricey U2 variant for sure...then again, so are the other JDM Ltd. Ed's I have.

Teg Bracelet is a must.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.