Sinn Military Type III First Impressions
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sinn Military Type III First Impressions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn Military Type III First Impressions

Just got it.

I wasn't planning on buying yet another watch in 2013. In fact, I planned my next purchase to be a Bermont MBII or U2 in 2014. But when I saw this model on watchbuys, any plans I had for a Bremont went out the window. The Military Type III, for me, does an even better job scratching that itch.

The dial and handset come together to create a very clean, crisp appearance, but the design contains a few eye catching features that make this watch a head turner, despite its simple design.

For example, the red small seconds hand is very sharp, and evocative of some of Sinn's chronographs, but the subdued charcoal on black subdial ensures that it doesn't steal the show.

The similarly colored "Military Type III" signage running horizontally across the dial from 9 to 3 adds to the effect, helping to strike a balance.

The knurled crown looks really cool and differentiates this watch from other Sinn models. I'm sure it's also a highly functional grip. I know the placement of the crown at 9 is a bit controversial, but I think it works well with the overall design. Also, you won't be using the crown much as this is a simple day, date model.

Were I the designer, I would have excluded the date entirely. But if it had to have one, it's in the right place. Putting it at 3 would have disrupted the overall design. At 12, it's tucked nicely out of the way and works with the 12 baton and the small seconds sundial to create a nice in-line layout that compliments the overall design.

The overall result is a watch that takes the best elements of Sinn's design language and remixes them to create a watch that is unmistakably a Sinn but simultaneously a fresh take on what a Sinn can be.

All in all, it's a winner and I hope Sinn keeps it in mind as they design future models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ephraim Gerstein; December 25th, 2013 at 15:54.

Re: Sinn Military Type III First Impressions

Thanks for the quick review. This watch is also catching my eye. I wish it wasn't limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephraim Gerstein View Post
    Just got it.

I wasn't planning on buying yet another watch in 2013. In fact, I planned my next purchase to be a Bermont MBII or U2 in 2014. But when I saw this model on watchbuys, any plans I had for a Bremont went out the window. The Military Type III, for me, does an even better job scratching that itch.

The dial and handset come together to create a very clean, crisp appearance, but the design contains a few eye catching features that make this watch a head turner, despite its simple design.

For example, the red small seconds hand is very sharp, and evocative of some of Sinn's chronographs, but the subdued charcoal on black subdial ensures that it doesn't steal the show.

The similarly colored "Military Type III" signage running horizontally across the dial from 9 to 3 adds to the effect, helping to strike a balance.

The knurled crown looks really cool and differentiates this watch from other Sinn models. I'm sure it's also a highly functional grip. I know the placement of the crown at 9 is a bit controversial, but I think it works well with the overall design. Also, you won't be using the crown much as this is a simple day, date model.

Were I the designer, I would have excluded the date entirely. But if it had to have one, it's in the right place. Putting it at 3 would have disrupted the overall design. At 12, it's tucked nicely out of the way and works with the 12 baton and the small seconds sundial to create a nice in-line layout that compliments the overall design.

The overall result is a watch that takes the best elements of Sinn's design language and remixes them to create a watch that is unmistakably a Sinn but simultaneously a fresh take on what a Sinn can be.

All in all, it's a winner and I hope Sinn keeps it in mind as they design future models.

nice, thanks for sharing with us. Do you have a pic of the caseback?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    nice, thanks for sharing with us. Do you have a pic of the caseback?
    Here you go

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    Thanks for the quick review. This watch is also catching my eye. I wish it wasn't limited.
    I hope Sinn continues taking some of its designs in this direction. I think it represents a great potential evolution for the brand as it transitions more upmarket. Very fresh, but drawing inspiration from both Sinn's aviation and EZM heritage.

I have barely taken it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephraim Gerstein View Post
    Here you go
    awesome, can you tell me what the numbers are, below the Sinn logo?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    awesome, can you tell me what the numbers are, below the Sinn logo?
    Thank you.
    I just got mine. Under "Sinn on case back is the reference.serial no. " 9910.04XX" In the center of case back is engraved "limited to 300 pieces" (in German).

Nice review and pics - thanks!
    AK - GS SBGA011 - GS SBGX117 - GS SBGA031 - SBGH001 - Ball Night Train

It's a beauty! Mine says hi. Name:  IMG_6391.JPG
Views: 1659
Size:  231.5 KB
    apnk, sivart and ahkeelt like this.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour View Post
    I just got mine. Under "Sinn on case back is the reference.serial no. " 9910.04XX" In the center of case back is engraved "limited to 300 pieces" (in German).
    thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information