Sinn Movements Grades
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Radharc
  • 3 Post By krisrsolebury
  • 2 Post By krisrsolebury

Thread: Sinn Movements Grades

Sinn Movements Grades

I am interested in the 856 which I believe uses the Selitta SW300. I emailed Sinn to confirm what grade movement they use as I thought they used Elabore. Below is the response:

“in general we don´t use Elabore grades for our movements.

For all our swiss movement Top Grade or equal is the minimum standard we take.”

Is Top grade one notch above elabore? I always thought elabore was the best finishing other than certified COSC.

Re: Sinn Movements Grades

Quote Originally Posted by Heffdog116 View Post
    Is Top grade one notch above elabore? I always thought elabore was the best finishing other than certified COSC.
    As I understand it, "Chronometer" is the highest level, "Top" is one level down from there, and "Elabore" is one more level down. "Chronometer" and "Top" are basically the same thing, the only difference is testing/certification.
    trf2271 and Topdude like this.

Sinn generally uses "top" in all of their watches.

With ETA (using that as an example, since Sinn uses ETA in some watches, and the Sellita in others are based on ETA), Top and COSC grade are (I believe) the same - both use a glucydur balance wheel, Incabloc shock protection, Anchron hairspring, etc - it's just that the Top are not sent out for COSC certification. Beyond certification, I believe Top and COSC grades are identical.

Elabore and Standard (in the 2824-2's case...I don't think 2892's etc are available in Standard) use a nickel balance wheel, Etachoc shock protection, Nivarox hairspring etc - though many companies that use Elabore will have some custom upgrades (very often using an Elabore grade movement with Incabloc shock protection for example).

I'm guessing Sellita has the same basic upgrades across their various grades, and since Sinn uses Top, you're getting the best available versions whether ETA or Sellita (aside from certification).
    Spring-Diver, Topdude and nodnar like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does a Sinn top grade ETA 2892 (or any other
    Eta movement) differ from a top grade ETA 2892 found in other brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IG: phillyvice & phillywatch

Quote Originally Posted by krisrsolebury View Post
    Sinn generally uses "top" in all of their watches.

With ETA (using that as an example, since Sinn uses ETA in some watches, and the Sellita in others are based on ETA), Top and COSC grade are (I believe) the same - both use a glucydur balance wheel, Incabloc shock protection, Anchron hairspring, etc - it's just that the Top are not sent out for COSC certification. Beyond certification, I believe Top and COSC grades are identical.

Elabore and Standard (in the 2824-2's case...I don't think 2892's etc are available in Standard) use a nickel balance wheel, Etachoc shock protection, Nivarox hairspring etc - though many companies that use Elabore will have some custom upgrades (very often using an Elabore grade movement with Incabloc shock protection for example).

I'm guessing Sellita has the same basic upgrades across their various grades, and since Sinn uses Top, you're getting the best available versions whether ETA or Sellita (aside from certification).
    Peferfectly explained.

Quote Originally Posted by krisrsolebury View Post
    many companies that use Elabore will have some custom upgrades (very often using an Elabore grade movement with Incabloc shock protection for example).
    What are some of Sinn’s custom upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IG: phillyvice & phillywatch

This might not be what you’re looking for, but there is some information on Sinn’s movements on their site. Scroll to the SZ section.

https://www.sinn.de/mobile/en/Techno...y.htm#techniks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyvice View Post
    Does a Sinn top grade ETA 2892 (or any other
    Eta movement) differ from a top grade ETA 2892 found in other brands?

A Sinn ETA 2892/2893 etc shouldn't differ from other brands 2892/2893's (if they're using Top grade like Sinn) - some brands may opt to use the lower grade Elabore, or send them out for COSC certification, but the movement Sinn uses is the normal 2892 or 2893 in Top grade with the addition of a Sinn rotor.

Sinn generally does not have to order custom upgrades since they already use Top grade - it already comes with all the bells and whistles. Those upgrades would be more in reference to a company that orders a lower grade movement (like Elabore) from ETA, but still wants Incabloc shock protection that normally only comes on Top/COSC instead of the Etachoc that an Elabore would normally have.

Top grade 2892 and variants (2893/2895 etc) are pretty great movements today. They were always meant to be a step above 2824's, but if I understand things correctly (and I may be wrong here, but this is what I've read), IWC used to order the 2892 as an ebauche instead of a completed movement, and modify it to use in their lower tier watches (Mark XV___'s etc). Today ETA no longer supplies ebauches to non-Swatch Group companies, only complete movements - but the good thing is that ETA basically took all of the modifications IWC used to do and made them standard on the 2892. So today you can by a Sinn with a top grade 2892, or an IWC with one, and they'll be identical other than the rotor...

Sinn DOES modify movements, sometimes fairly heavily - but that's mostly on some of the Valjoux based chronographs - things like their DIAPAL lubricant-free escapement in a lot of them, or the EZM 1.1 where they modified a 7750 for the central 60-minute stop, similarly in the EZM10, etc.
    Last edited by krisrsolebury; July 5th, 2018 at 03:19.
    Phillyvice and masqueman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyvice View Post
    Cosmetic only I expect - e.g. branding, decoration, coloured screws, whathaveyou.

Thread Information