Sinn price hike

Thread: Sinn price hike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn price hike

Noticed that Sinn have put up their prices again - I have been looking at the Sinn 103 for a while and the new prices have pushed this at one time exceptional value for money modern classic toward more highly priced brands. While it still offers a great package at a good price, I hope Sinn are not moving away from the philosphy that drove them to their success.

Minutes are the Milestones of Aviation - Fred, in 'Fools and Birds Fly'

Re: Sinn price hike

I think the price increase has more to do with the Dollars' slide against the Euro than a shift in business philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo View Post
    I think the price increase has more to do with the Dollars' slide against the Euro than a shift in business philosophy.
    I don't know about that - I'm in the UK and the prices here have gone up quite a bit in Stirling due to price increases at source.

Minutes are the Milestones of Aviation - Fred, in 'Fools and Birds Fly'

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I couldn't tell from your profile where you were located and assumed the worst.

Maybe the recent price increase is to keep in line with their suppliers and competitors annual increases.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; May 4th, 2008 at 14:31.

Banned

I dont know if the CEO Lothar Schmidt has made a statement concerning the ongoing price increases but it is definitely being pushed up.

Of course, in the UK you dont have the drastic devaluation of your currency, yet, but I do not follow world currencies closely. So, you are somewhat safe from those increases anyhow.

There has been speculation and some talk about Sinn wanting to position themselves in the same ballpark, pricewise, as Omega, Breitling, and Rolex. In other words, they want to challenge some of the big names in the retail marketplace. And, with their product line, I think they could make a good case that their quality and attention to detail along with their technological prowess and research warrants such action in the marketplace.

As far as US price increases from Sinn in Germany....word from WB has it that September 08 is the formal factory increase. Any other increases in the meantime are due to the dollar fluctuation/slide.

As far as Sinn losing its competitive edge due to price increases. I guess only time will tell on that issue. But, look at a watch like the new Sinn 757 Diapal UTC Chronograph. With all the technological marvels in the movement and the cutting edge good looks as well as a chronometer grade 7750 with the Diapal technology.
    Well, all that for under $4000? Let's see....a Rolex Submariner is what.....$4300? Each person of course has to like what they are buying...but, if you like Sinn watches, I dont see the price increase hurting their sales.

I mean, everything else is increasing in price also. Why not Sinn watches?

Quote Originally Posted by whifferdill View Post
    I don't know about that - I'm in the UK and the prices here have gone up quite a bit in Stirling due to price increases at source.
    The Euro is going up by the day compared to Sterling too. UK prices are set to increase, though not as much as US prices.

it all goes to prove, if you want a particular piece, get it now.
    IT WILL be more expensive soon.
    DW

This is great news. It adds to the excuses for the wife.

Excuse #12: "But honey, with the decline of the dollar in the world currency markets, combined with Sinn's move to a more upscale pricing structure, surely the time to buy (insert model wanted here) is NOW!!!"

Funny, but not really. I hope they don't get too carried away. Toyota has made a killing producing products on par with much more expensive brands, while offering the same or better quality.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Sorry but sinn is heading in a bad direction with thier price increases.
    they do not have retail outlets to support, until they become a manufacture then thier prices should never increase that much.
    2018 Blacklist Custom Unitas 6498 Conversion
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom ETA 2824 Conversion
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Banned

While Sinn does not have outlets in the US, they do have AD's in other countries like Ralf Haffner in Germany. I dont think anyone knows the full extent of their marketing strategy at this point in time, but, my guess is that they have plans to make their presence in the brick and mortar stores using AD's.

Their CEO is from IWC and I would guess he has plans to move Sinn from their previous place in the industry as the best kept secret of German watches to a very competitive world class watch from Germany.

While this may not happen for 5-10 years....who really knows for sure. Hopefully it does not happen at all!
    Once it does....the price of a Sinn watch is sure to jump in price by at least 50% but probably more like double.

I am sure Watchbuys has an exclusivity agreement for x number of years for the US market. Rob and Tim are great guys and I hope they can hold down the franchise and keep it from exploding into the B and M scenario.
    I suppose as long as they are the US distributor for the B and M stores....well, it wouldnt be too bad for them!!!

As far as Sinn heading into the wrong direction. I believe they are working on their in house movement. DOes the U1000 have their first in house movement?
    Anyhow, I think Sinn definitely qualifies as a manufacturer unless you are referencing their lack of in house movement production as the definition of manufacturer. Only 5 or 6 brands such as GP, JLC, Zenity, Rolex, and the Swatch brands could be considered true manufacturers with that definition. I am not sure that definition is all that relevant anymore in terms of producing a world class watch or the need to have brick and mortar AD representation.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    Sorry but sinn is heading in a bad direction with thier price increases.
    they do not have retail outlets to support, until they become a manufacture then thier prices should never increase that much.
    Last edited by Dragoon; May 5th, 2008 at 19:12.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information