Sinn Sub steel vs Tegiment

Thread: Sinn Sub steel vs Tegiment

Question Sinn Sub steel vs Tegiment

Hi all,

I understand that the tegimented steel is significantly harder, and thus more prone to being scratch resistant, than the regular sinn sub steel. My question is does the process makes the steel look different? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying a U2, but only the bezel is tegimented and would later like to buy the fully tegimented bracelet. My worry is that the two might not match.

If anyone has some side by side photos available I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tickles

Re: Sinn Sub steel vs Tegiment

It varies from batch to batch. The clasp in the center is Tegimented and the one to the right is untreated.

I just compared a tegimented long clasp with a regular one, and the tegimented one definitely had a different color to it (slightly darker, more yellowish).

Also, if you read through the thread below, multiple posters mention a color difference between tegimented and non-tegimented steel.
    Sinn U1 tegimented bracelet

Also, you can request a fully tegimented case from Sinn. It will be a special order and cost a bit more, but this is a commonly requested option. I assume you're buying through Watchbuys, so you can ask them to pass the request on to Sinn.

This isn't my pic, but you can see the color (and scratch resistance) difference:
    Name:  931606d1357883622-***-sinn-tegimented-steel-thoughts-***-image.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  220.2 KB
    Last edited by foodle; July 24th, 2013 at 07:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just to clarify, they're all made with the same grade submarine steel. Tegimenting is a thermal process in order to treat the material to increase surface hardness, so the thermal treatment will likely distort the original color to some extent.

In my experience, having everything tegimented greatly increases scratch resistance as seen in the photo above.

I had the same thoughts with the U1. I finally chose to go for a full tegiment (tegiment case as an option) to have bracelet and case matching together.

Guys, this is really helpful. I have a tough choice to make, but I have a feeling that I am just going to wait to buy the fully tegimented version of the U2.......sadly, the 857 has also caught my eye and I might just have to pick it up to hold me over.

The 857 is an awesome watch - I was about to pull the trigger on a U1-T when the 857 (non UTC) caught my eye as well...I can't come up w/ one negative about it...

Thread Information