Sinn T2 advice
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sinn T2 advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn T2 advice

Hi all, new member here. I've been reading through blogs/forums/reddit regarding the T2, hoping to gain some insights and advice.

I am looking at getting "the one watch" for various activities and dressy occasions (suits maybe even black tie). My searches led me to two likely candidates: Sinn T2 and Rolex Submariner Date.

The price discrepancy is not a big issue for me, but rather toughness, form and function. Some questions
    1) is the movement in the Sinn as stable and accurate as the Rolex?
    2) ease of service and frequency for the Sinn? I live in Sydney, so a bit far from Frankfurt.
    3) how tough and scratch resistant is the tegimented T5 titanium case? How does that compare with the U1 submarine steel?

I am not a showy guy, hence leaning towards the Sinn. But The submariner has a high reputation too. I just need a watch that will work in all situations 24x7. Something I don't have to worry about.

My previous watches:
    Tag - leaked during a 60m dive.
    Suunto - change battery too frequently. UI annoying for night mountaineering.
    G-shocks - tough but too big. Also the bands scratched wax off my surfboards.
    Luminox - band broke and not very comfortable.

Thanks!

Sinn T2 advice

The movement in the T2 is good, a soprod, not sure what grade though; but it isn't COSC certified hence not guaranteed to run at -4/+6s per day out of the box. So accuracy will be luck of the draw though I think Sinn regulates their watches to within +10s per day. The Submariner being COSC certified has a higher chance of being more accurate out of the box.

I live in Singapore so Sinn has got a partner/dealer here that can service the T2. As the T2 contains Sinn's dehumidifying capsules and inert gas; it will need to be serviced by authorized Sinn service centre; that being said if you are ready to forgo the inert gas and dehumidifying capsule feature, a good watchmaker can service the soprod movement.

I don't own the T series though I considered getting one an hence tried them on many times. It is definitely lighter than the U2 that i owned and sold. It should be very comfortable to wear daily. However, I do not really buy into the additional toughness of submarine steel, mine without full tegiment treatment could be scuffed from springbar tool slippages etc..the tegimented bezel however was bomb proof and I put that to the test by hitting it against metal door knob, door frame etc without any visible scuffing. So if you can go for the fully tegimented T2, then no worries about toughness, it should stand up to normal wear well.

The T2 with its blasted grayish finish isn't going to be as versatile as a submariner. It's going to scream tool watch, especially on a rubber strap. Transitioning to a leather or the bracelet might dress it up a bit but it's still going to give off tool / casual watch vibes. Hence if you are a suit wearing kind of guy I think the submariner is a better choice as it is more versatile. I don't think the submariner is showy with its brushed bracelet, slapping it on a rubber B would take it down the casual path even more. The glide lock clasp is also really very good, it is the only watch in my collection that can fit my wrist just right any time of the day and in any weather. The clasp of the Sinn bracelet is IMHO horrendously cheap feeling and while the clasp of the rubber strap is solid and well made, it is way too large and bulky for my wrist.
    Last edited by balzebub; November 20th, 2014 at 07:11.
    I want to be a ONE watch guy!!

Re: Sinn T2 advice

Thanks, its a Soprod A10-2, supposedly as good, if not better than the ETA equivalent.
    So I will have to send it back for service, perhaps once in 10 years? I guess to an extent it will depend on my activities.
    Unfortunately, the T2 only has tegimented titanium bevel, the case is just hardened Titanium, so I am assuming about 350-400 Vickers, nothing like the tegimented version.

I think the Rolex is "showy" only because it is easily recognisable, and people will go "oooo rolex". I don't like that. Haven't really considered the comfort level for the band
    but it's an important decision. I was considering a rubber band or a Nato, as a steel band will keep hitting my laptop case when I type.

I did consider a Tudor Pelago but might as well go for a proper Rolex.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by slasherj View Post
    Some questions
    1) is the movement in the Sinn as stable and accurate as the Rolex?
    2) ease of service and frequency for the Sinn? I live in Sydney, so a bit far from Frankfurt.
    3) how tough and scratch resistant is the tegimented T5 titanium case?

the alterance 10 is not as good as the 3135, not even close.
    the US sinn service center can now do gas filling.
    my T2 does not have a scratch on it.
    Spring-Diver likes this.

I just picked up a pre-owned T2 yesterday and am quite pleased with it. It is relatively thin and wears very well on my 6.75 wrist. I am at work and thus in a suit. While nobody would care if I were wearing the T2, it's bead-blasted grayish (maybe a hint of brown in there too) finish renders it a pretty casual watch IMO and so I'm wearing my Nomos. I would not feel comfortable wearing it in dressy situations and especially not black tie. If the cost difference isn't of much concern, I'd most definitely go with the Sub. In today's world, it's now an acceptable dress watch to most, but then again most people couldn't care less and wouldn't notice a T2 either. I agree with you that while its looks aren't necessarily "blingy", the Sub is instantly recognizable to many as a Rolex and therefore could be considered "showy". What about an Omega Aqua Terra? Explorer I?

Very interesting thread.

I love Sinn, I love German watches, I love hardened steels. But if you need a watch that is also good for dressy situations I would opt for the Submariner.

Having said that, for the price of a Submariner, you could probably buy a T2 and still have budget left over to also buy a Nomos or another dressier watch, which is what I would do.
    maxpowerman likes this.

Another welcome to the Sinn forum! We hope you will come spend some time with us.

To my thinking, the Sinn is a rugged watch for the active man. The Rolex is a fine watch, but I know I would not wear one except to dressy occasions as they are too expensive to be a daily wearer for me.

If I were to pick between the 2 watches for myself, I would pick the T2. What you pick will be the best one for you. Please let us know what you decide. Cheers, Bill P.
    sefrcoko likes this.

Hi all thanks very much for all the advice. After much research and testing I didn't get either the T2 or Sub.
    Rather, went with the Explorer 1 39mm.

While it "only" gets down to 100m, realistically my max depth would be 60m, and id also have a real dive Comp anyway. Still I'd expect the oyster case to hold up fine given Rolex's rep.
    It doesn't have a bezel or date, but I feel that can be advantageous. It has paraflex and parachrom which I may actually need because of my work.
    Style wise, it is as simple and no nonsense as it gets. May not be for everyone but suits me perfectly.

Thanks for all the advice! And happy new year!
    Dufresne and Spring-Diver like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information