Sinn Tegimented Steel Stained?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By krisrsolebury
  • 1 Post By Moss28

Thread: Sinn Tegimented Steel Stained?

Sinn Tegimented Steel Stained?

Hello, All,
    Looking for advice or similar stories about the following: I purchased a my 856 (second owner) two months ago, and it had the plastic protector still on the caseback (as shown in picture).

I never took it off, and wore the watch (mostly on NATO) nearly every day for the past two months. I took the plastic off today, and it appears that the steel has been stained. I have washed it and it neither pocked (can’t feel it with eyes closed) nor surface grime. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to remedy?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Sinn Tegimented Steel Stained?

Kids, this is why you remove the plastic. I know your neurotic OCD side kicks in, but the plastic is meant to be removed.

Of what I understand of Sinn’s tegimented steel is that it’s a treatment done to the surface of the steel. So you’ve damaged the tegimented surface by leaving the plastic on. The only way I can conceivably see repairing it would be to grind out the stains and re-tegiment those areas. I think you’re hosed and at the mercy of Sinn selling you a new case back.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Have you tried anything that's slightly abrasive? If it were my watch, I'd try a Cape Cod cloth and move up from there. Granted, I don't own a Sinn (yet) but the polishing cloth shouldn't be strong enough to actually polish the tegimented steel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by justin86 View Post
    Have you tried anything that's slightly abrasive? If it were my watch, I'd try a Cape Cod cloth and move up from there. Granted, I don't own a Sinn (yet) but the polishing cloth shouldn't be strong enough to actually polish the tegimented steel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I thought about using a Cape Cod cloth. The watch is still under warranty with Chronomaster, and I wanted to wait until hearing from them before trying anything more aggressive than dish soap.

I can’t imagine actually leaving the protective film on voids the warranty. So, I am hopeful they will offer me a remedy. If not, Cape Cods cloths it is. Thanks!

I just can't see it being anything more than surface residue of some sort and I can't see how it could possibly damage a tegimented steel surface. Firstly, I'd use something like ethanol, white spirit or similar non-polar solvent to try and remove the stains. If that fails, I'd use a scouring pad. The pad won't scratch the case, as the tegimented surface is way harder.

Is the caseback tegimented?

On many of Sinn's fully tegimented cases, the "fully" tegimented applies to everything BUT the caseback - they use some alloy different than what they use for the tegimented parts that is nickel-free because of people with nickel allergies.

I don't know this to be the case with the 856 in particular - but it may be.

The fully tegimented versions of things like the U1/U2 that use Sub steel have tegimented casebacks (I believe), as do watches like the EZM9 where it's tegimented titanium - but I was under the impression that all watches with "normal" tegimented steel have non-tegimented casebacks.

That would make some sense in your case - these problems happen fairly commonly to people that leave stickers on their watches - people will buy a watch, wear it for a year with the sticker on the back, and the sticker traps moisture underneath right against the metal - causing corrosion.

The moral of the story is...take the stickers off. Even for me (as OCD as it gets with watches) - I take them off because it's easier to be gentle than it is to avoid trapping moisture under a sticker.
    Last edited by krisrsolebury; July 11th, 2018 at 00:31.
    nodnar and Geof3 like this.

Maybe try some toothpaste (or something slightly abrasive) and lightly brush the area? Dunno...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    nodnar likes this.

I think you do right to wait until you hear back from Neil at Chronomaster before doing anything to it then if it's a 'no' with regards to a warranty claim try the CC cloth.

That is called moisture, (salty to be specific) the case is metal ya-know... Tegiment hardens the steel from scratching etc. not corrosion. Yes, a mild abrasive should do the trick. No big deal.

BTW, NOT a warranty issue... That is user error. Never should have left on the plastic.
    Too many flipped...

Goo Gone? Even though it's old it may still dissolve and come clean.

Thread Information