Sinn U1 Dial is Scratched From Hour Hand, Advice?

Thread: Sinn U1 Dial is Scratched From Hour Hand, Advice?

Sinn U1 Dial is Scratched From Hour Hand, Advice?

Hi,

The watch is 5 years old and I wear this watch hard. I sent it in for a warranty claim once and it was repaired. For several years I've had these scratches in a parallel and circular shape, most likely from the hour hand, near the 25 minute marker.

I also found this similar thread from years ago: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/sin...ed-534703.html

The case has its fair share of nicks and scratches, that's part of life and don't mind these one bit. The dial on the watch, however, is a different story and it's become more and more aggravating. What would you guys do? Is this something Sinn would repair?

I'll be in Frankfurt in August on a Monday midday so have the option to stop in to their service office and drop off. My issue is I don't want to find out it's a $500 repair, pay shipping back to US, etc. Especially when I incurred a few $100 for my first warranty repair. It's a bit frustrating. I wonder if this was scratched when it was there for warranty work, just maybe didn't notice it right then? How does this even happen? What would you guys do?

Here's a few pics, the scratches show up. Depending on the angle and distance you can't even see it many times. But as the owner it does show often.

Re: Sinn U1 Dial is Scratched From Hour Hand, Advice?

I’ll say the obvious; you should have addressed this issue while under the warranty period. At this point the best you can hope for is to visit Sinn while you are in the area, then explain your situation and hope they offer some assistance. Maybe they’ll offer to replace the dial on their dime, provided you pay for a service (which is likely due anyway).

I mean, your solution is pretty much what you think -

Yes, if you can drop it off directly at Sinn that's your best bet for a quality repair (which probably means dial replacement, in addition to reseating the hands properly)...

That beats giving it to RGM in the US either way.

It's 5 years old, so yeah, you're almost definitely going to have to pay whatever the repair costs. It's long out of warranty...

Was the time that you sent it in for a warranty claim for this same issue? If it was, maybe there's a chance you can convince them to look at some records of that service and convince them that because it wasn't properly fixed the first time they need to "make it right", but with a 5 year old watch, and with an issue you've known about and watched develop without doing anything about for a while, it seems pretty unlikely that you're going to get a free fix.

My guess? It will cost you what you suspect:

Price of a new dial + price of a full service + price of shipping back to the US.

It sucks, but it does seem the most likely scenario given the circumstances. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll look back see if it's noticeable in earlier pictures. I sent it in for warranty because the watch wouldn't stay wound. After wearing consecutive days the watch would lose like five hours or just run out of power. I'll see if I can find my exact submission, but I'm pretty sure I referenced I thought it was dragging somehow which caused this.

They agreed, it needed repair under warranty. It was corrected and has been better since. I just can't honestly pinpoint when the watch got the scratches. It could have been around then.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Bum View Post
    I'll look back see if it's noticeable in earlier pictures. I sent it in for warranty because the watch wouldn't stay wound. After wearing consecutive days the watch would lose like five hours or just run out of power. I'll see if I can find my exact submission, but I'm pretty sure I referenced I thought it was dragging somehow which caused this.

They agreed, it needed repair under warranty. It was corrected and has been better since. I just can't honestly pinpoint when the watch got the scratches. It could have been around then.
    Obviously your mileage may vary but I'd indicate to them that the hands were not seated correctly during it's previous service causing the scratches. It's not a fabrication unless you had the scratches prior. Since you don't know for sure, I'd see where a polite inquiry gets you and go from there. I've heard their post sale support is superb.

Seeing as you are passing call in and ask what they would recommend and ask for a quote to have the work done - if it’s too high you don’t have to go with it.

Thread Information