Sinn U1000 failure

Thread: Sinn U1000 failure

Sinn U1000 failure

Hello,
    I just purchased a U1000 from Watchbuys about 10 days ago. I believe my watch is part of the “retirement” shipment for this model. I have had a long term positive experience with a U1, and I was basically motivated to buy the U1000 because it was being retired and I’ve always wanted a Sinn chronograph. To get this watch, I sold three watches, including a Seiko Spring Drive Tuna that has always been utterly reliable.
    Since I have had the U1000, it has been running great, about +1 second per day on the wrist, and I’ve used the chrono about a dozen times with no issues.
    Tonight I used the chrono, and two issues surfaced: first the 60 minute chrono hand did not change when it should have after the center sweep passed the 12 position; then the hour totalizer hand moved to the one hour position after 28 minutes. I had noted the time when I started the chrono, and the minute chrono hand never moved during the 28 minutes. Just to try something, I stopped the chrono, reset the chrono, stopped the movement, and tried the chrono again several times. The chrono minute hand never moved.
    So far, I had only worn the watch in an office environment, no bumps or drops of any sort.
    I am going to contact Watchbuys about warranty help next week, but I am really, really disappointed at this point...right now, I very much regret this purchase.
    Has anyone here had a similar problem with their U1000’s chrono operation?
    Thanks.

Most of us that visit the Sinn forum have had only positive experiences with Sinn. I have had a U1 and a 104 and both were both very nice and reliable.

I think you just got unlucky. I sounds as if you are already headed in the right direction to fixing the problem. Most unfortunate though...

Re: Sinn U1000 failure

I've owned my U2 for 13 years and wore it almost 24/7 for the first 10 years... I then bought one of the last U1000 available as it was a "grail" watch. Wore in occassionally at first but now it shares about equal time with my U2.
    It is a tough watch and I shoot at the range wearing it without any worries.
    I hope that you are able to get yours fixed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had the same issue as your first issue - the minute counter didn't advance after sixty seconds. I contacted Watchbuys and they had me send it to Germany for repairs. It came back "fixed" and on my first use of the chronograph it exhibited the same issue. I was not impressed and expressed my displeasure to Watchbuys in very strong terms. So off to Germany again for the same repair. This time it came back actually fixed.

That was thirteen years ago (2007) and no reoccurrence of the problem since then.

Cheers,

M

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks rc51owner, at least I have some context and don’t feel like I have a unique movement issue.
    My U1000 is on its way for warranty work. Hopefully mine will be fixed correctly the first time. I am crossing my fingers.
    On a positive note, thanks to Kevin at Watchbuys for a quick response on my issue and a prepaid shipping label to get my watch off for service.

My U1000s is about 7 years old and still going strong. Runs about -2 to +2 daily and has been utterly reliable.

Fortunately Sinn has a sterling record with dealing with warranty/servicing issues, I have had my EZM1 serviced at the mothership and Sinn were very on point regarding communication, shipping etc, basically I was 100% satisfied.
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Amphibia/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis/Smith's

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a somewhat similar (but slightly different) issue with the chrono hands on my U1000. Neither RGM nor Sinn in Germany could successfully fix the issue (although they tried!!!). Nobody was more excited about the U1000 than I was... but unfortunately it was a very frustrating experience for me. I do miss the watch... and from time to time I wish I still had one (particularly the blue). But between the thickness and my chrono issues I had, I'm quite glad to no longer own one.