Sinn U2 Copper Sulphate site glass colour: 2006 vs 2010 vs 2014 - pics
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Timothy Patrick
  • 1 Post By gaopa

Thread: Sinn U2 Copper Sulphate site glass colour: 2006 vs 2010 vs 2014 - pics

Moderator Emeritus

Sinn U2 Copper Sulphate site glass colour: 2006 vs 2010 vs 2014 - pics

8 years, 20,000 hours wrist time, extreme cold temperatures, rapid temperature changes, 2400 hours of underground wrist time.

March 26, 2006 - Three months of ownership

August 31, 2010 - 55 months of ownership

January 2014 - 96 months of ownership

Thank you for viewing.
    Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; January 9th, 2014 at 21:18.
    gaopa, Hunterfate and Salvo like this.

Re: Sinn U2 Copper Sulphate site glass colour: 2006 vs 2010 vs 2014 - pics

I think that's a testament to Sinns dry technology (viton seals and copper sulfate dessicate capsules) as much as the low humidity up there in the Yukon.

impressive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    impressive.
    As David said…. that is indeed impressive and as Sgt. Bo said, a testament to Sinn's dry technology. Thanks for sharing, Tim! Cheers, Bill P.
    Hoppyjr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    I think that's a testament to Sinns dry technology (viton seals and copper sulfate dessicate capsules) as much as the low humidity up there in the Yukon.
    I believe Tim is (and has mostly been) in Timmins, Ontario. The humidity there fluctuates quite a bit, but like most of Ontario (a VERY large region), often gets very, very (100%) humid. Given that, I'm very impressed with his U2's performance.

Note:

"The relative humidity [in Timmins] typically ranges from 37% (comfortable) to 96% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 20% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
    The air is driest around May 1, at which time the relative humidity drops below 45% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around September 22, exceeding 93% (very humid) three days out of four."

(source: Average Weather For Timmins, Ontario, Canada - WeatherSpark)
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    I believe Tim is (and has mostly been) in Timmins, Ontario. The humidity there fluctuates quite a bit, but like most of Ontario (a VERY large region), often gets very, very (100%) humid. Given that, I'm very impressed with his U2's performance.

Note:

"The relative humidity [in Timmins] typically ranges from 37% (comfortable) to 96% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 20% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
    The air is driest around May 1, at which time the relative humidity drops below 45% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around September 22, exceeding 93% (very humid) three days out of four."

(source: Average Weather For Timmins, Ontario, Canada - WeatherSpark)

Geez, I'm learning more and more about the place I live in. I didn't know that. Underground, there's very high humidity. The air is rotten in the lower levels, very damp. New pipes put in are rotted out in 8 months. They use water sprayers in the shaft so the wood doesn't rot and the ventilation pulls this through all the levels but it recirculates in the lower levels.

Over the last 5 years, the air has been more humid and damp and these cold temps feel much colder.

Took a better pic this evening of the site glass. My cats were most amused when I pulled out the tripod and dusted it off.

2006 vs this evening.

cheers

Pretty cool taking pictures of the window as time goes on. Doesn't look like its changed color at all since 06. I have a 6 year old 757 Diapal. My site window is a pale blue color. On Sinns web page they have a color time lapse of the capsule going through its change in color with humidity build up. Mine appears to be still at the low end of the scale after 6 years. I have only owned the watch since last July so I dont know what it looked like when it was new. But I think it was pretty close to the color thats on there now according to the video because it started out as pale blue and not white like yours is.
    Last edited by Jim Smyth; January 12th, 2014 at 15:23.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
    Pretty cool taking pictures of the window as time goes on. Doesn't look like its changed color at all since 06. I have a 6 year old 757 Diapal. My site window is a pale blue color. On Sinns web page they have a color time lapse of the capsule going through its change in color with humidity build up. Mine appears to be still at the low end of the scale after 6 years. I have only owned the watch since last July so I dont know what it looked like when it was new. But I think it was pretty close to the color thats on there now according to the video because it started out as pale blue and not white like yours is.
    Hello Jim. The older 2006 and 2010 pics were stolen from my old ownership experience posts in the ownership experience thread. The last picture I took, came out a little whiter than is actual. It is actually a very pale blue. The capsules have gathered some vapor over the years but, yes, in its very early stages. I am led to believe that I still might have a few years to go before its blue/blue. Since the capsules are doing their job, I might also go so far as to say that the oils have very little contamination. My problem, and it's not a major thing to me, is the banging it's taken has thrown the accuracy a bit off, but again no problems.

Cool and advantageous tech!

Thread Information