Sinn U2T worth the cost?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sinn U2T worth the cost?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn U2T worth the cost?

After telling myself I have enough watches already, a friend from Germany has convinced me enough to consider a Sinn. Itíll be my first Sinn if I do end up getting one, and I think I want a U2T SDR with the bracelet and an extra strap.

After looking at the total cost I started having some doubts since itíll be in the preowned Seamaster 300M Coaxial price range, even though the price would still be much better than buying one in the US directly.

I wonít have the luxury to try the watch on wrist either, I heard it could be top heavy, I wonder if the rubber strap would make it even more top heavy compared to the bracelet? Also just in case it doesnít wear well and I decide to catch and release, realistically how much would a mint U2T SDR with an extra silicon strap sell for? How much of a hit would I take to my wallet potentially? I donít see many of these for sale, and the prices seems to be all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Sinn U2T worth the cost?

Is it worth it is up to the individual. You can try looking at sites like watchrecon to see the prices of used pieces that come up for sale.

As far as the rubber (silicone) strap, I think it is more comfortable than the bracelet.

The U2 is an excellent diving watch, however if you really want a Seamaster 300M Coaxial, perhaps just go for that directly? They are completely different watches, so you have to ask yourself what you want in the end. Spending over 2k on an interim buy, but still wanting the Seamaster might not make sense.

As for the U2, I have the pleasure of living in Frankfurt and have visited Sinn numerous times and tried on various models (I bought my own EZM3F from their workshop). The U2 is a solid watch and although quite large and heavy, it wore surprisingly well on my 7.25" wrist. I think the case design makes it feel smaller than the 44mm would suggest. Both the bracelet and silicone straps are very comfortable, although I did feel that the silicone added some bulk (due to the way it sticks out from the lugs a little). I woud buy it on the bracelet, and then stick it on an Isofrane for an alternative.

I considered the U2 for actual scuba diving, so the size was fine for me. I don't tend to wear anything larger than 40 (my EZM at 41 being the exception); but for real scuba diving I would have no problem with the U2 as it is super easy to read the dial. Have to admit, the only reason I did not buy one is because I already use a Stowa Prodiver for regular diving, and decided this was enough.

Don't worry about resale value. If you get the U2, you will keep it. It is quality.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not really saving up for the Seamaster, itís just the ďwould I rather have x watch for x amount of moneyĒ type of thinking haha.

I have a pretty small wrist, I am just a bit worried because of the size and thickness of the U2. Iíll post a picture of a OM on my wrist for reference. If I do get it Iíll definitely pick up a rubber strap with the smaller clasp, maybe look up those EB rubber straps too.

Part of me would want to wear this every day but another part of me knows this might just be wishful thinking because of the size. I would love to actually go diving with it but for now itíll be for desk diving only, although the GMT would be a plus since I am working abroad.

I can get it at a pretty good price though, my friend could pick one up for me in Germany and get the VAT exemption on it. Thatís one of the reasons why I started watch hunting again after not buying a new watch for the last two years haha.

I was also looking at the 556i B, and the 104, but ultimately I was sold on the U series. Do you guys think itís worth paying extra for the U2T vs regular U2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say U2T, if you are referring to paying extra for the Tegiment on the case, i personally wouldn't bother. Just my own preference though.

My reason is that I love the Submarine steel case as it is, which is already sea-water resistant, and would not need the additional hardening/protection of Tegiment. I also doubt the case would scratch very easily, and even if it did, a few battle scars on this type of watch would be totally fine by me.

It's worth noting that the Bezel is already Tegimented on all U2 models as standard, regardless of whether you pay extra for Tegiment on the case.

By the way, the 856 UTC is 40mm and is also tegimented with loads of Sinn tech, if you're looking for that particular GMT-type feature in a smaller case. I actually prefer the UTC on the U2 though, as it is more subtle on the dial.

Hope this helps.

p.s. you have started me thinking about a U2 again for myself now...

It wonít be your only Sinn do tread carefully!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have excellent taste.
    IMHO: you'll sacrifice at least 25% from the new price IF you decide to sell it shortly thereafter. Obviously, higher percentage as time goes on. Maybe 30 to 40% by year 3...just a guess.
    If you are hard on your watches, then the tegimented case might be worth it. Otherwise, save your money. A tegimented cased U2 is pretty cool though. Could even be grail worthy.
    The tegimented case will have a slightly darker color, not much but some.
    I'm on my 3rd U2. It's most comfortable (on my 6.75" wrist) on a Hirsch Pure. ISOfrane & Sinn fitted rubber are good fits as well.
    Hope you will get to enjoy your own U2!
    Attached Images Attached Images

umarrajs, michael_m and DaveandStu like this.

Both case & bracelet are tegimented in an U2T.
    If you plan on wearing the U2 on bracelet, U2T is a better option IMO.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

I would always go for the T option if possible,better than not having it and wishing you did.
    gaopa likes this.

If you got just the standard U2 you’d always be wondering about the U2T so jump in now I say.
    gaopa likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information