Sinn UX
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Sinn UX

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sinn UX

I am about to buy my first Sinn diver, but still not not made my mind up on which model?
    I like the U1, and it's what first drew me to the brand a year or so ago ... but I'm just not conviced by the "blocky" look of the hands and dial.

I like the U2 even more, but don't like the inner red ring and don't need or want a 2nd 24h timezone.

I thought I liked the T1, but going off it by the day ... and it's a bit pricey.

So this leaves the UX, my favourite looks wise by far!
    I am just not convinced by the oil filled complication & the "bounce" that goes with it?

A few old reviews about 2nd hand not lining up with markers (even though I just had to check my 2 year old Seiko Quartz to see if it's did) and discolouration to the hands and markers are not swaying me either.

The last quartz watch I purchased a year ago I just couldn't bond with & moved it on within 3 months - Is the UX quirky and flawed enough to have a bit of charachter?

I don't think there is much doubt I will end up with both U1 and UX ... but whether the chicken or the egg comes first remains to be seen?

This post is aimed at UX owners as I know the U1 is fantastic, so any experiences (good or bad) would be greatly received.

..... nearly forgot, were any of the above issues fixed with the gen 2, or was the only change the switch to teflon oil?
    Last edited by Dave A; January 18th, 2015 at 15:14.
    Tongdaeng likes this.

Re: Sinn UX

Dave, I had a UX GSGR9 for a couple of years and really liked it. Sadly I sold it to fund some photo equipment and have regretted it.

My UX did have some bounce, but no bubble as some have. My second hand lined up perfectly. I did not own it long enough to need to send it back to Germany for the oil/battery change. I always liked the look and feel of my UX.

My present Sinn watches are a U1-T and a U1-SDR. I consider both of those U1 models to be keepers in my collection. However, if a UX GSG9 were to turn up, I would be very tempted to own another one.

If you do get a UX, I don't think you would regret it. Here are pics of my UX.

On the other hand, if you decide to get a U1, I know you would enjoy that watch as well. Cheers, Bill

JanuarJaguar and penncrnp like this.

the bounce and hand alignment issues are just characteristics of this piece, and may not be cause for "fixing."
    if these are a concern, a non-quartz model may be better suited for you.
    Dufresne likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had the UX for about a year now with no issues to report at all. It's just a great "go anywhere, do anything" type of watch. It's a really nice chunk of metal!

The discolouration issue was fixed a few years ago by switching to the teflon oil. Older models brought in for service are still getting oil/dial replacements as part of their service. The markers on mine are still bright white. One downside of the oil filling (I think?) is the reduction in lume brightness. If I could change one think about my UX, it would be brighter lume.

The second hand bounce is a complete non-issue in my opinion. My UX has a very slight bounce depending on the angle of the watch, but mostly it's not apparent at all. It doesn't affect the time-keeping of the watch at all.

I love the UX! I don't think I could be without one in my collection!
    Last edited by Willows; January 18th, 2015 at 22:34. Reason: spelling!

The UX has a thermo-compensated, COSC certified, quartz movement. No run of the mill quartz movement. The 'bounce' is more a feature than an issue, it is a product of oil viscosity, and not really fixable. The oil discoloration is not an issue as Sinn changed the oil once this was discovered. My hands lined up most of the time. I don't stare at my watch long enough to notice, honestly. Some quartz movements just do this. Most, actually.

Mine is currently in Germany getting its first service. As mine was a first gen, I had the oil discoloration and Sinn is replacing my dial and hands on warranty. The service came after almost 7 years of use/abuse of all kinds. Hands down, my favorite watch of all that I have owned.

Probably the only real issue with the UX is the need to send to Germany for service/repair. However, Sinn's CS has been stellar and no issue at all.
    Timothy Patrick and 41Mets like this.
    Too many flipped...

I had U2 and absolutely loved it. After long thinking I changed it to UX because of small amount of wrist time, had trouble in keeping it running. I prefer the look/feel of U2, but UX's ease of use is more important to me.

Now I don't have to worry if my beater is running, or is it in time. True grab and go watch. At the moment it's 4,5 secs fast in 85 days > +0,053 secs/day > +19 secs/year.

All (U1/U2/UX) are very nice watches. Comes down to quartz vs. mechanical, or looks between U1 vs. UX. Waiting for pics to appear to see what you decided.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Thanks for the replys .. really appreciated!

I hadn't notced that the GSG9 had a white second hand before, I love the look of this watch & thank you gaopa for putting up the phots.

I have a couple of autos and only one wrist, so a deadly accurate tough quartz in my collection makes a lot of sense.

I'm thinking GSG9 on a rubber strap ... I think it's gonna happen!
    gaopa likes this.

Dave, a GSG9 on rubber would be a nice choice. I'm a bracelet guy, but have worn my U1 SDR on the Sinn OEM rubber strap and like it.

Keep us posted, please. Cheers, Bill P.

Been in touch with Page & Cooper (London) who have given me the option of a GSG9 factory special with the standard UX face?
    Still have the white second hand, but no military unit badge at the bottom.

Any opinions on this would be welcome as I am not sure - My gut instinct says keep it standard?

I think I will toss & turn on this tonight and decide tomorrow?
    Last edited by Dave A; January 19th, 2015 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Been in touch with Page & Cooper (London) who have given me the option of a GSG9 factory special with the standard UX face?
    Still have the white second hand, but no military unit badge at the bottom.

Any opinions on this would be welcome as I am not sure - My gut instinct says keep it standard?

I think I will toss & turn on this tonight and decide tomorrow?
    I considered the regular UX and GSG9, went with a regular UX because it didn't have the military unit badge. I'm not from Germany, didn't really care about having a German military badge on my watch. Nothing against them, just not for me. I already had a U1 SDR, so I was interested in the different crown position.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information