Sinn UX - arrivée
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sinn UX - arrivée

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn UX - arrivée

New arrival - of an over-engineered marvel that begs to have the word 'ultimate' somewhere in its description.

I was going to buy a 104, then a 103, then a 356, then took a swerve and decided on a Max Bill, the longest-serving veteran on my wish-list. Doing a final precautionary sweep of the Sinn catalogue, I locked onto a watch that hadn't been on the shortlist at all - the Sinn UX.

It was the over-engineering that did it, and the imperturbability of quartz. Super-quartz, naturally, given the exacting specifications of the watch. Quartz is absolutely right for the UX - and would be even if the oil-filled case didn't require it.

The 'ultimate' features of the UX offer (let's face it) few day-to-day advantages for most owners, but fastidious engineering is satisfying in itself, and in the case of the UX there are spin-off benefits. The optical effects of the oil, for example, are captivating. The dial is inky-black, and the hands seem to occupy an ethereal dimension just below the crystal. The borders of the date window are invisible, making the date appear printed. The dial is readable at an angle of just a few degrees. It's a visual delight, an aid to high-definition clarity, and it sets the watch apart.

It was the oil, and the consequent battery-changing nuisance, that had previously kept the UX from my shortlist. Then it dawned on me that sending a quartz watch to Frankfurt once in every seven years is no more demanding than sending a mechanical watch to London once in every five years - and it's cheaper.

With that doubt hit for six over the long-off boundary, I clicked my way to the checkout.

Poor old Max Bill, left at the altar again...

Sinn UX (EZM 2B)

• Air of indestructibility.
    • Understated strength (rather than brash assertiveness).
    • Presence (rather than bulk).
    • Flat case back, relatively modest height, comfort. Very wearable for a 44mm watch.
    • Flat, muted colour of the steel.
    • Outstanding clarity.
    • Discreet but highly functional bezel, small numbers, inlaid lume triangle.
    • Crown size, feel and position.
    • 'Security barrier' seconds hand.
    • Packed with leading-edge technology, but no daft labels to draw attention to it.
    • Distinctive, high quality bracelet with hex key adjustment.
    • 'Rational' quartz (rather than 'romantic' mechanical) just seems right for this watch.

Don't like

• Nothing, really.

I've read some adverse comments on a few things:

1) Easily smudged AR coating.
    The AR coating doesn't seem to smudge more easily than any other AR coating, and it's better in this regard than some that I've known.

2) 'Bounce' movement of seconds hand.
    I see what people are referring to when they talk of 'bounce', but it's minimal, you have to look hard to see it, and I can't see why anyone would object to it. I quite like it... The seconds hand hits nearly all of the markers, and only misses the remainder by a shade.

3) Bracelet clasp.
    You will find thicker gauge metal on some clasp covers, but there is nothing cheap or insubstantial about this one. It's neat, well-made and attractive.

It's a bona-fide Superwatch.

I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: Sinn UX - arrivée

Man oh man does it look awesome.

You wear it well. Enjoy.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Great choice! I'm actually typing this post with one on my wrist. It is my go-to watch at night (yes, I wear a watch 24/7) and whenever I can't decide what else to wear, which happens more often than not. Easy grab and go, as well. Can't think of anything I don't like about it. You're spot on with your review.

Enjoy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

congrats! great watch! probably the one i wear most! wearing it now!

Congrats! Great watch and very nice pics. I still enjoy mine. My only complaint is the AR scratches easily and mine has a few marks...

Great watch, great review.

I am "that close" to ordering one, but still can't make my mind up between :

- SDR or not
    - bracelet or rubber

If I take SDR, I find bracelet the best choice. But should I take rubber, I prefer the ss bezel.

I can not decide.

Did you have the same problem?

written in the words of a true fan: enjoy your watch!

Quote Originally Posted by scheersmarc View Post
    I am "that close" to ordering one, but still can't make my mind up between :

- SDR or not
    - bracelet or rubber

If I take SDR, I find bracelet the best choice. But should I take rubber, I prefer the ss bezel.

I can not decide.

Did you have the same problem?

I didn't consider the SDR version. I'm not a great fan of coated metal. No matter how well the coating is applied, I have half a fear that it will wear. Plus, I prefer the naked honesty of bare steel.

I didn't really consider rubber either. The black of the rubber makes a great contrast to the steel of the bezel, and to some the combination will look better than the bracelet. I could understand that view. But I'm not a great fan of rubber either, and I've always liked the style of the Sinn bracelet. I also wanted 'to go the whole hog' with this watch.

With regard to bracelets generally, I've come to generally prefer them to leather or rubber. I went through a year of strap swapping with my Speedmaster, and found the only way I could break out of this neurotic cycle was to put it on the bracelet and forget about it.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Looks great! I have it in all black on the rubber. The rubber is very comfortable. Agree - the watch is a over engineered marvel. I also have a U2 UTC on the bracelet and agree the Sinn Bracelets are really nice.

Good luck!

Anthony

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I didn't consider the SDR version. I'm not a great fan of coated metal. No matter how well the coating is applied, I have half a fear that it will wear. Plus, I prefer the naked honesty of bare steel.

I didn't really consider rubber either. The black of the rubber makes a great contrast to the steel of the bezel, and to some the combination will look better than the bracelet. I could understand that view. But I'm not a great fan of rubber either, and I've always liked the style of the Sinn bracelet. I also wanted 'to go the whole hog' with this watch.

With regard to bracelets generally, I've come to generally prefer them to leather or rubber. I went through a year of strap swapping with my Speedmaster, and found the only way I could break out of this neurotic cycle was to put it on the bracelet and forget about it.
    Ha ha, I find I am somewhat trapped in the neurotic strap cycle myself, constantly getting custom and aftermarket straps for my watches. While I am still enjoying changing up the looks with various combinations, I probably could have bought a decent watch with all the money I have spent on straps, some of which I ended up not liking and giving to my dad, so money down the drain. So for my next Sinn, I may just go the bracelet route and be done with it. Your UX and the review are fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information