Sinn vs. RGM - repair

View Poll Results: Repair by Sinn, or by RGM?

Voters
14. This poll is closed
  • Sinn Repair

6 42.86%
  • RGM repair

8 57.14%
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sinn vs. RGM - repair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn vs. RGM - repair

Sinners!

My 203 Ti AR broke - the reset pusher at 4 went missing. I learned a valuable lesson - don't go about your daily business with screw-down pushers in the 'open' position! I've been in dialog with Sinn (who thinks it broke, therefore not under warranty. the case is new, FYI). If it fell out, it would be under warranty, but i can see that the tiny pusher stem is broken.

Here's the eternal and recurring question - send to Sinn for authorized service or to RGM? We all know why I'm asking - shipping/duty to and from Germany adds about $250 to the bill. Just over a year ago, I sent this watch away for full overhaul and a new case. It was expensive, but at the time, worth it. Now, ouch. The thought of sending this off again is painful.

I've been reading a lot of negative reviews (and a few positive) about RGM, all of them really occurring between 2010 and 2013. Have things improved? RGM says they can fix it. Am I wrong to assume that it will be cheaper in the long run to have RGM make the fix? Timeframe isn't an issue - i'm not wearing it until it's fixed, so it's not on my wrist either way.

Thanks Sinn Family, your comments are much appreciated.

Austin Besse
    Darwin likes this.

Re: Sinn vs. RGM - repair

Cost to ship to Germany via DHL is about $115 less 15% if done online. See my post in the German forum. For what it's worth Id likely send to Sinn if it were me. No basis other than gut.

If it were me, I'd send it to RGM. They've done a couple for me, the last being the regular service for my EZM1. Bang up job, decent communication, but took a while. I can look up the exact dates if you'd like them. I don't think they'll give you a complete quote before they have the watch in hand but you should be able to get a good estimate.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd be interested in this intel as I have a 142 that I'm going to need to have serviced soon. It has an aftermarket crown and stem installed currently and, after reading about other owners' experiences with needing pushers replaced, I'm guessing mine will need to go to Sinn or RGM. Archer Watches can service the Lemania 5100 but it looks like replacements for any case/non-movement parts that are required will be unavailable to him, so...

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    If it were me, I'd send it to RGM. They've done a couple for me, the last being the regular service for my EZM1. Bang up job, decent communication, but took a while. I can look up the exact dates if you'd like them. I don't think they'll give you a complete quote before they have the watch in hand but you should be able to get a good estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    I'd be interested in this intel as I have a 142 that I'm going to need to have serviced soon. It has an aftermarket crown and stem installed currently and, after reading about other owners' experiences with needing pushers replaced, I'm guessing mine will need to go to Sinn or RGM. Archer Watches can service the Lemania 5100 but it looks like replacements for any case/non-movement parts that are required will be unavailable to him, so...
    Here's my summary of the timeline:

Times are message origination times:

• 2013-10-29?? : Watch with letter sent via USPS registered exact date unknown
    • 2013-10-31 : Email message confirming reception of watch
    • 2013-11-06 08:44 EST : Email message with estimate sent
    • 2013-11-06 14:14 PST : Estimate approval message sent
    • 2013-11-07 10:12 EST : Approval was acknowledged
    • 2014-01-23 18:18 PST (Late Thursday) : Query regarding repair sent
    • 2014-01-27 10:19 EST (Monday) : Reply to query with following information
      • apologies as not in office Friday
      • watch will be shipped out same day or next, that is 01-27 or 01-28

• 2014-01-28 06:10 PST : Tracking number (FedEx) via FedEx notification
    • 2014-01-30 10:23 PST : Package delivered and signed for

Pretty much par for the course for me, perhaps on the better side. I've rarely had repairs take less time (especially if you factor in the holidays). I've sometimes had repairs take much much longer (6 months+). If I had to do it over, I'd probably send a query every three weeks or so after the first month just to keep things moving; not too often to be a nuisance, but enough to keep all involved on their toes; so I would have sent my query a couple of weeks earlier. Hope this is useful!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

That helps a lot - cheers! In my experience, 3 months isn't too bad at all. I've had watches serviced more quickly but not much and the watchmaker was in province (I'm in Canada).

I guess a valid question would be: is there any difference in the cost of services provided by Sinn in Germany and RGM in PA? If not, it would seem to be a no brainer to go with RGM (in my case, being in NA).

Off Topic post Re: Sinn vs. RGM - repair

I'd ship to Sinn. If RGM does not have the necessary parts for your repair, you will have to wait for those parts to be shipped from Germany, adding time to the job (you can make more money...not time). If you ship directly to Sinn, you know they have all the requisite parts, you know it will be repaired by the hands of the maker, and the invoice from Sinn will go a long way (if I were buying) in helping you sell the watch, if you feel compelled to do so at a later date. :)
    Darwin and rosborn like this.

That's more or less the advice a good friend of mine gave me. Food for thought... My only concern are the reports I keep seeing of shipping being over $200 to have a piece returned from Germany. You're right, though, peace of mind would come from having it done by the manufacturer with original parts and not having to wait for parts to be shipped and received, etc. Especially as if the parts aren't right, it can be remedied right there; if RGM gets the wrong part shipped to them, you're waiting through another ordering, shipping, and receiving cycle, which would add even more time to the repair...

Quote Originally Posted by freeman4ever View Post
    I'd ship to Sinn. If RGM does not have the necessary parts for your repair, you will have to wait for those parts to be shipped from Germany, adding time to the job (you can make more money...not time). If you ship directly to Sinn, you know they have all the requisite parts, you know it will be repaired by the hands of the maker, and the invoice from Sinn will go a long way (if I were buying) in helping you sell the watch, if you feel compelled to do so at a later date. :)

Shipping will be ~$100 if shipping via FedEx or UPS to Germany...and Sinn will charge you ~$95 to ship back, so you are correct, $200 doll hairs both ways. Lets say you ship both ways to the US using FedEx or UPS, insured - you may end up paying close to $100 (depending on how much RGM charges to ship). I'll beat the dead horse and say that extra $100 to ship to Sinn would be worth it to me for the piece of mind. One other thing...the Canadian dollar is a bit stronger against the euro now, at least in comparison to where it was at the end of 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    That's more or less the advice a good friend of mine gave me. Food for thought... My only concern are the reports I keep seeing of shipping being over $200 to have a piece returned from Germany. You're right, though, peace of mind would come from having it done by the manufacturer with original parts and not having to wait for parts to be shipped and received, etc. Especially as if the parts aren't right, it can be remedied right there; if RGM gets the wrong part shipped to them, you're waiting through another ordering, shipping, and receiving cycle, which would add even more time to the repair...
    Darwin likes this.

OK - sold! If I were positive that it needed only a mechanical servicing, I'd be happy to use RGM, IWW, or Archer (he's in Canada afterall), but knowing that the crown and tube have already been replaced with non-OEM parts makes me concerned that a good watchmaker will want to replace the pushers, too, and address the non-Sinn crown, so, Sinn in Germany it will be when the time comes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information