Strange Question: Has anyone brushed a Tegimented Sinn?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Strange Question: Has anyone brushed a Tegimented Sinn?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange Question: Has anyone brushed a Tegimented Sinn?

I have owned various Sinn watches over the years, and currently have a brushed 556i (non Tegimented) and fully tegimented 857 UTC. These two watches consist of my entire rotation these days. Generally I prefer a brushed finish on my watches, as it is easy to repair and shows scratches less than a bead blasted finish, but I really love the 857. I also simply prefer the aesthetics of a brushed case/bracelet. I'm curious if anyone has had a tegimented Sinn case or bracelet fully brushed by a watchmaker? I'm sure many Sinn fans prefer the blasted look, however I'm intrigued at the thought of a one-off brushed/tegimented Sinn.

I'm assuming the hardened surface would make a brushed finish difficult to apply, but certainly not impossible. Sinn and Damasko only offer a blasted finish on their hardened watch. This may be because of the difficulty applying a brushed finish, or perhaps simply because folks associate bead blasting with tool watches. Bremont's cases are reportedly harder than both Sinn and Damasko at 2000 Vickers - and yet their watches come in brushed finishes. I mostly desk-dive - but the plastic laminate on my desk was presumably developed by Formica to clad the Space Shuttle or the inside of nuclear reactors, so even with a wrist pad- my tegimented bracelet is picking up marks.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by dnslater; March 9th, 2015 at 20:37.
    aleksandar0475 likes this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Re: Strange Question: Has anyone brushed a Tegimented Sinn?

Nick. like you I prefer a brushed finish on my watches/bracelets. My Sinn watches are the only bead blasted watches in my collection. I look forward to the views of our fellow "SINNers" and their thoughts. Cheers, Bill P.

Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    Nick. like you I prefer a brushed finish on my watches/bracelets. My Sinn watches are the only bead blasted watches in my collection. I look forward to the views of our fellow "SINNers" and their thoughts. Cheers, Bill P.
    Seems like not much traffic on the Sinn forum these days...........

My one concern would be the thickness of the Tegimented metal. I believe the hardened surface extends only 10-50 microns. Not sure how much metal is removed during a brushing. Eventually subsequent touch ups may break through to the regular SS eventually. I believe blasting with glass beads doesn't really remove much metal, but instead puts millions of tiny indentations into the surface to create a uniform finish.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    Seems like not much traffic on the Sinn forum these days...........

My one concern would be the thickness of the Tegimented metal. I believe the hardened surface extends only 10-50 microns. Not sure how much metal is removed during a brushing. Eventually subsequent touch ups may break through to the regular SS eventually. I believe blasting with glass beads doesn't really remove much metal, but instead puts millions of tiny indentations into the surface to create a uniform finish.
    Nick, your question of how much metal is removed with brushing vs. blasting is a good one. I hope someone with some knowledge of metal can respond.

When I use a ScotchBrite pad to touch up the brushed finish on watches, I don't notice metal coming off the watch or bracelet. My sense is that I'm only scratching the surface and not removing metal. However, I could be wrong. Since I have never done any bead blasting I can't speak to that. Cheers, Bill P.

LH2

A brushed + hardened case is certainly possible, since Sinn's 902, Archimede's Outdoor Protect, and Damasko's DK100/101 all offer hardened cases in a brushed / polished finish.

I think a lot of people looking for an instrument-type of watch like a matte, bead blasted look. But then I think a brushed / Tegimented 856 (or for that matter a Tegimented / matte case 556) would sell pretty well.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    A brushed + hardened case is certainly possible, since Sinn's 902, Archimede's Outdoor Protect, and Damasko's DK100/101 all offer hardened cases in a brushed / polished finish.

I think a lot of people looking for an instrument-type of watch like a matte, bead blasted look. But then I think a brushed / Tegimented 856 (or for that matter a Tegimented / matte case 556) would sell pretty well.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that Sinn and Damasko had brushed hardened models. I thought Bremont had cornered this market. Bremont and Damasko harden all the way through - so less of an issue with brushing the surface. It is impressive what they can do with metal that is reportedly 50% harder than Sinn's tegimented steel.

Brushing with a scotchbrite or polishing wheel definitely removes metal. I have no idea how much. Older watches that have been serviced/polished a lot often have different lines than the original because of the amount of metal that has been removed over time.

Strange that people associate tool watches with blasted. I realize it is more of a tactical look, but they look beat up very quickly as scratches are shiny.
    Last edited by dnslater; March 11th, 2015 at 20:32.

Kind Regards,
    Nick

I did not know Bremont treated their steel? I cannot find anything on their website about this process?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The hardening processes, especially Sinn, Damasko, Bremont have been discussed here ad extenso. So just do a search. For your convenience a quote from QP magazine (2012):

"Furthermore, all the cases and buckles are brought back to England to be treated for hardness with B-EBE2000 technology, a process used on the turbine blades of jet engines. The cases are heated to high temperatures and carbon diffusion is used to increase the overall underlying hardness of the case to 1,200 Hv on the Vickers scale (normal watch-grade stainless steel is more like 280 Hv in hardness). Argon electron ions then prepare the surface of the case followed by a metallic ceramic coating at temperature, bringing the case hardness up to 2,000 Hv – the same hardness as sapphire crystal.

Based on this info, Bremont is kolsterizing, then plasma spray coating.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsnow View Post
    I did not know Bremont treated their steel? I cannot find anything on their website about this process?
    Glossary | Bremont Chronometers
    Technology | Bremont Chronometers
    Jrsnow likes this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    I have owned various Sinn watches over the years, and currently have a brushed 556i (non Tegimented) and fully tegimented 857 UTC. These two watches consist of my entire rotation these days. Generally I prefer a brushed finish on my watches, as it is easy to repair and shows scratches less than a bead blasted finish, but I really love the 857. I also simply prefer the aesthetics of a brushed case/bracelet. I'm curious if anyone has had a tegimented Sinn case or bracelet fully brushed by a watchmaker? I'm sure many Sinn fans prefer the blasted look, however I'm intrigued at the thought of a one-off brushed/tegimented Sinn.

I'm assuming the hardened surface would make a brushed finish difficult to apply, but certainly not impossible. Sinn and Damasko only offer a blasted finish on their hardened watch. This may be because of the difficulty applying a brushed finish, or perhaps simply because folks associate bead blasting with tool watches. Bremont's cases are reportedly harder than both Sinn and Damasko at 2000 Vickers - and yet their watches come in brushed finishes. I mostly desk-dive - but the plastic laminate on my desk was presumably developed by Formica to clad the Space Shuttle or the inside of nuclear reactors, so even with a wrist pad- my tegimented bracelet is picking up marks.

Any thoughts?
    Where to begin?

Formica was surely not developed for the Space Shuttle or nuclear reactors.
    Modern laminates, especially that used for flooring, have a surface layer
    incorporating aluminum oxide filler to resist scratches.

As pointed out, Bremont cases are surface treated only. I don't believe
    they are harder than the Tegimented Sinn cases. Those Bremont cases
    receiving the applied "DLC" finish may have a harder surface, but they
    are unrestorable.

As pointed out both Sinn and Damasko offer hardened cases with a shiny
    brushed finish. I guess the reason most of the aviator and dive watches
    have a bead blasted finish is customer preference. I prefer the watch
    case to have a matte finish. I lead an active life and wear my watches.
    The bead blasted cases, hardened or not, are much more resistant to
    scratches than the shiny brushed cases. My Damasko and Sinn U1 cases
    are showing no marks. I am surprised if your Sinn 857 case is showing
    scratches.

I guess you could abrade your Sinn 857 case to polish it and apply a
    brushed finish. Doing that will remove the Tegimented surface treatment,
    but then you can enjoy refreshing the surface whenever you feel inclined
    to spend the time.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information