Tegiment seems to be the real deal

Thread: Tegiment seems to be the real deal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    heb

Tegiment seems to be the real deal

Hello,

I'm on week 11 and have not seen even the trace of a gouge, nick, rub, nor swirl. Granted, I'm not overly rough with my watches, but as we all know, the above will appear on a conventional steel watch--usually after the first day.

Good going SINN.

heb

Re: Tegiment seems to be the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by heb
    Hello,

I'm on week 11 and have not seen even the trace of a gouge, nick, rub, nor swirl. Granted, I'm not overly rough with my watches, but as we all know, the above will appear on a conventional steel watch--usually after the first day.

Good going SINN.

heb
    I dropped my U1 from no more than 3 ft onto the ground and it now has a large mark on the side of the case.

Personally considering the noted problems of the U2 , these watches because of there unique look are in fact more of a novelty item than anything else.

heb

Yes, they seem to have more of their share of "idiosyncracies"

Quote Originally Posted by Pureslab
    I dropped my U1 from no more than 3 ft onto the ground and it now has a large mark on the side of the case.

Personally considering the noted problems of the U2 , these watches because of there unique look are in fact more of a novelty item than anything else.
    mj

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Emeritus

The thing about tegiment is that it is a very thin outer layer which is designed to make your watch case more scratchproof, NOT scratchproof. If you scrape up against something, it will give more protection against scratches than regular 316L stainless steel. It is not designed to protect your watch from dents or mars which are the result of an impact.. Before the great meltdown of February this year, there was a thread in which a member had, I believe it was a tegimented 756, dropped his watch in the bathroom or something like that and dented it. He took this issue up with Sinn and posted his experience on the forum. The thread was very long and very informational. Sinn said that tegimented surfaces will not make your watch immune from impact damage or marring. It was designed to make it more resistant to scratching.

The sub steel is approximately 40% harder than regular stainless steel. This makes it more resistant to damage when the case or bezel is impacted. It will not eliminate damage. A special quality of this steel is that it is not only very, very hard, but it is malleable. That means that it is not brittle and will not split, crack, gouge or chip upon experiencing a violent blow. This characteristic is very important for submarines as when their hull experiences a violent blow, the hull will not crack but will dent. What this means to you is that your watch case or bezel will not crack or chip or rupture but will dent.. It will survive to go on to the next test you throw at it.

All here must understand that the U series watches were not designed to survive all of its violent contact with the outside world and come out looking like the day you received it, perfectly undented and scratchless. It is not made of kryptonite. It is designed to…..SURVIVE!!...... These watches and their special oils were designed to overcome the brutal attacks that other watches have succumbed to when being introduced into very harsh climates and/or very adverse operating conditions. Please keep this in mind when taking your watch out into the world.

I have dropped mine a couple of times and have a very small dent in the bezel. It I would have done the same to a 316L stainless steel bezel on another watch, for one, it would have most surely popped off, and two, it would have received way more damage. I know this as I have done the same thing to a 316L watch. The bezel was damaged and broke off. My U2 survived to take on the next job.

So, take your watches out and be eased with the thought that the metallurgists at Sinn have done everything they could do to make sure your U watch survives what it was designed for. It might come out a little worse for wear but it will survive and a few years down the road, you can present it with its war scars and know that any other watch most likely wouldn’t have made it.

Regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; July 25th, 2006 at 19:53.

The other day I zinged my 756S (black finish) on the sharp edge of a metal door. Scrapped the paint from the door right off, but the watch was still mint.

I also noticed it's immune to desk diving type swirlies.

Hi,

please allow me a little correction.
    Hope, I can correct translate this technical things.

The U boat steel is not (or not significant)

harder

than normal AISI 316L stainless steel.

But it is 155% more

firmness.

Means, this special steel cannot easy tear open. This is extremly important for U boats (and for our watches).

cheers
    U2inSpe

Moderator Emeritus

I read somewhere that 316L stainless is 210-220Hv on the vickers hardness scale. The new U boat steel is 300. I have read in an article that the new u boat steel is molecularly far more dense than regular stainless. This is built into the steel and takes much longer to cure. The thing to me that cinched it was the fact that this very dense steel is malleable. Very good to know especially for us guys who live in the -30's to -40's celsius where steel becomes very brittle and can split when exposed to these kinds of temperatures.

I am wearing the right kind of watch for the environment I live in based on the qualities and characteristics of the steel employed and the special Sinn oils which allow this watch to run normally in -45 celsius weather and the argon and three c/s capsules which totally ensure no condensation and fogging when coming in fromand out of the cold. I should be able to test this this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Patrick
    I am wearing the right kind of watch for the environment I live in based on the qualities and characteristics of the steel employed and the special Sinn oils which allow this watch to run normally in -45 celsius weather and the argon and three c/s capsules which totally ensure no condensation and fogging when coming in fromand out of the cold. I should be able to test this this winter.
    Tim, it will be very interesting if this statement holds true over the long run. My guess is you U2 movement will fail in time keeping accuracy and/or GMT function far sooner than the point at which the physical appearance degratation of your U2 bothers you. Then again maybe you will be one of the lucky ones, where U2 the movement holds up to the shock environment.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Moderator Emeritus

Yup, that may be Steve. So far, after very close to 2100 hours of wrist time and lots of shaking and vibrating and a few drops, my movement is running around +4 sec./day. Hope it holds out. I'm very attached to this watch.

I guess it's just a wait and see thing but your right the concerns with the U2 are not with the case or crystal or gaskets or the argon and c/s capsules. It seems to be with the movement.

I do hope Sinn is reading this.

I understand the movement in the U2 and the 856 are the same. There has been a fair amount of posting regarding problems with the UTC hand on the U2 and accuracy of this movement vs the U1. Has the 856 had the same problems as documented on the U2? If not, why not? I've had my U2 for 2 months and it has been on avg maybe -2 sec/day, no issues with the 2nd hour hand. Is there some inherent weakness in the design or execution of this watch and a few of us have been exceptionally fortunate, or are there just a few lemons floating around out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information