Is there something wrong with my U1?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is there something wrong with my U1?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there something wrong with my U1?

So I have had my U1 now for just under a week and I believe I am having some issues with the crown.

There are, according to the instructions for the watch, 4 crown positions:

0 When the crown is screwed all the way in
    1 When the crown is unscrewed counter clockwise to allow for clockwise winding of the movement
    2 To adjust the date
    3 To adjust the time

The issues I seem to be facing are with positions 1 and 2. Sometimes when I fully unscrew to position 1 it will do as expected and allow me to wind the watch. On other occasions I unscrew to position 1 and instead of the watch winding, turning clockwise adjusts the date instead so the date becomes wrong, even though I have not pulled the crown to position 2, all i have done is unwound the crown from position 0. On another occasion I did manage to pull the crown out to position 2 but winding clockwise did nothing. The date did not adjust and the crown was just spinning clockwise. On other occasions where I have unwound the crown to position one and the movement does wind when turning clockwise, position 2 does not seem to exist when pulling the crown. No matter how careful I am, when the crown does pull out one click it is on position 3 and the watch is hacked and it stops so I then have to reset the time when all I really wanted to do was adjust the date. When I then push it in one click from position 3, again position 2 intermittently doesn't exist and I am back to position 1 where clockwise just winds the movement when one click should put it at position 2 to adjust the date.

Do I need to send this back to Sinn to look at?

Re: Is there something wrong with my U1?

I'm not a watchmaker but I'd guess this will have to go back to Sinn. I had a Doxa SUB300 Searambler with a similar issue. I would pull the crown out to what I thought was position 1 (for winding) and the date would change. Before sending it back to Doxa, two watchmakers told me the crown stem was short, making it difficult to find the various positions easily.

Yeah, that's an unhealthy watch. The crown and stem action should be very crisp and accurate when switching between positions. Send it back!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I thought so, thanks. I’ll contact Sinn and send it back for them to look at.
    Dennis Parris likes this.

I have a U1 and never experienced that. Send it to Sinn or Watchbuy asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's not right. If you are still under warranty it should be easily fixed. If not, then you still need to send it in... hope it isn't too major of a repair job! Good luck.

OK, so here is an update. Shortly after posting my question here, the crown seemed to strangely rectify itself. All of a sudden everything was functioning as expected. That was until this morning. The watch is around 12 seconds fast every day out of the box. Personally I think this is a little too much even though I know it should settle down over time. So this morning I reset the watch to my reference time except when I pushed the crown in when the reference time matched the set time on the watch, nothing happened. No ticking and the second hand just stayed in position on 12 with the crown pushed in.

I have called Sinn this morning who will be arranging for me to return the watch to have it looked at and checked. I have been advised the turnaround could be 5-6 weeks which is a little frustrating with a watch that is a week old but there is no rush. If it comes back functioning as it should do and hopefully slightly better regulated I'll be happy.

Issues to one side, I am really very happy with this watch. It fits really nicely and is very comfortable. It's a definite keeper for me and is going to get a lot of wrist time.
    Last edited by sonyman99; January 11th, 2020 at 20:11.

Good luck with the fix cus it sure ain’t right.

So here is an update. I sent the watch back to Sinn and at first they said they couldn’t find anything wrong and were going to return the watch.

I had a long conversation with them and explained the the problems I had experienced were intermittent but had been present since receipt of the watch. I assured them that I was not seeking a refund or anything like that, I just wanted a watch that functioned as designed.

After the conversation they agreed to send me a replacement watch which I have had now for a few days. So far it is working perfectly and as expected. It is also presently running 1 second fast per day compared to 12 seconds per day on the returned watch. I know that may change one settled but I’m happier with a starting point of 1 second.

So my first Sinn purchase didn’t start in the most positive way but they did put it right and I’m a happy customer. Well done Sinn.
    Dennis Parris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman99 View Post
    So here is an update. I sent the watch back to Sinn and at first they said they couldn’t find anything wrong and were going to return the watch.

I had a long conversation with them and explained the the problems I had experienced were intermittent but had been present since receipt of the watch. I assured them that I was not seeking a refund or anything like that, I just wanted a watch that functioned as designed.

After the conversation they agreed to send me a replacement watch which I have had now for a few days. So far it is working perfectly and as expected. It is also presently running 1 second fast per day compared to 12 seconds per day on the returned watch. I know that may change one settled but I’m happier with a starting point of 1 second.

So my first Sinn purchase didn’t start in the most positive way but they did put it right and I’m a happy customer. Well done Sinn.
    Great, glad to hear it! Good on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information