Thoughts on U1 B vs U2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Thoughts on U1 B vs U2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on U1 B vs U2

FWIW

So i'm about 6 weeks into my Sinn ownership experience with a U1 and U2 and I have a few observations, all just IMO of course, having lived with these:

(1.) Just say no to the bracelet.
    Looks great in pics, and I love looking at it off the watch on my table, but for me it doesn't fit the character of the watch in person. In photos, the bracelet is the way to go, but in person these are tool watches and the bracelet in person just doesn't fit that role for me. As stated in other threads, it doesn't match the beefiness of the U1 (much less the U2), the clasp is nowhere near where it needs to be and doesn't touch the rubber strap clasp, although it does look great by itself. I'm probably on an island on this one, and maybe it's because the bracelet was a key reason for my interest so I set expectations too high, but it's not for me.

(2.) On the job, U2 > U1
    Instinctually if I'm going for a hike, run, swim, or anywhere I need the tooliness, I reach for the U2. I find it much more readable and much more pleasing to use. The other thing I'll add is the feel of the movement (ETA vs Sellita) on the U2 is better ... I don't know exactly why, but it feels more solid and substantial, the Sellita feels a bit more "swatchy" which is ironic! With that said, I'm in no way dinging the sw200, it's keeping great time and works wonderfully, and it's only in direct comparison that you'd even notice or have a preference. Lastly, it doesn't hurt that the U2 looks stunning on a white strap.

(3.) On the wrist, U1 > U2
    The U1, if you groove on the retro 60s lego looks, is quite the looker. Of the two, it's the one that gets noticed, and it's the one my wife gave the "oh, in the light, that's actually a very nice looking watch!" She literally has never noticed any other watch I've ever worn. I sometimes catch myself staring at it. It's lighter and more fun, although not as easy to read than the U2. I like my watches tight on the wrist for action and the U1, for my wrist, fits slightly better (let's blame the rubber strap clasp with no micro adjustment).

IN short, the U2 is functionally the one to get, the U1 is fashionably the one to get ... ideally get both!
    umarrajs likes this.

Have owned both and recently went silicone on the U1 Pro. Really surprised me how much it lightened the watch up and increased the comfort level, even without the micro adjust feature just released.

Agreed on the wearability of the U1 too. Don't agree on the reading ease on the U2. That's probably why I moved it on. I found the GMT hand much harder to read and less asthetically pleasing than my other four hand watches. I also thought it sat high on the wrist and didn't wear well. Especially for that size of a watch. Was a little biscuit like on the wrist for me.

Great post!

GrussGott likes this.

Re: Thoughts on U1 B vs U2

Former U1 owner. Current T1 owner. Maybe going to be a UX owner...maybe.

Isofrane or Borealis strap 100%. Winter, summer, dry or wet it is lighter, thinner and more comfortable than a Sinn silicon.
    I have a T1 titanium bracelet that I have not even tried on. Maybe will try it.

PS: U2 looks better than U1 after you own the U1 for a year or so.
    GrussGott likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm surprised you think the U2 is more legible than the U1, as I consider the U1 one of the most legible watches out there.
    Some watches...

Quote Originally Posted by dukerules View Post
    I'm surprised you think the U2 is more legible than the U1, as I consider the U1 one of the most legible watches out there.
    I guess it's the broadsword hands - the U1 has smaller more stunted hands that don't draw your eye to the exact place on the dial vs the U2 that does - it has the big white EZM hands:

Name:  U1-W_V.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  437.0 KB

Name:  U2-S_oB.png
Views: 189
Size:  694.3 KB
    umarrajs likes this.

Having not long got a UX with the bracelet, I whole heartedly agree with your opinion of the bracelet/clasp.
    The rubber on my U1 is so superior for all year use .. so comfortable and always feels right.
    UX with rubber strap is the ultimate Sinn in my humble opinion.
    GrussGott and Spring-Diver like this.

You guys must have strange wrist proportions/shape? I’ve had several Sinn H link bracelets of both the older thinner style and the newer thicker style and find both to be very comfortable, with no clasp issues of any kind. The U series watches are heavy, and particularly so with their bracelets, but certainly not uncomfortable. I tend to prefer leather overall on all of my watches, but none of these bracelets were ever an issue for me.
    Too many flipped...

The bracelet is good, but the rubber option is just superb.
    My issue with the clasp is as follows;
    I have 8 inch wrists and large hands. When I first got the UX it was slightly big, and so I took a link out.
    I then found that even in the widest micro adjustment setting I struggled to get it over my hand .. the folding part of the clasp simply isn't wide enough.
    So I put the link back in, put micro in the smallest hole, and that is how it will have to stay.
    Fine on an active, warm day, but a little loose on the whole.
    My issue is the lack of adjustment. I have been spoiled by the likes of Rolex, IWC and even a similar price Breitling to the UX, but no tool free micro adjustment is not good enough at this price point.
    A half link would be a good compromise, and a couple of extra links for big wrists wouldn't have broken Sinn
    The rubber strap just cossets your wrist, and never feels anything other than perfect in any conditions.
    It also comes in a massive pre-cut size, so why the bracelet so small?
    GrussGott likes this.

Agree with you on many counts. I REALLY think that the bracelet clasps need a major upgrade.... they don't live up at all to the level of quality that I'd expect for something made to pair with an EZM watch. I also prefer the look of the sword hands on the U2 over the "lego" U1 hands. One thing you didn't mention is thickness.... the U2 does get a bit thick... as I get older and more experienced with watches, thinner cases are something I find myself appreciating more and more. Plenty of watch brands can make thin watches, so I don't understand why some of the Sinn lineup (like the U2) is so thick. I don't entirely buy the argument that it has to do with build quality and water resistance. And even if it does... nobody needs a watch rated to 2000m. Make it 1000m or even 500m and make it 12-13mm thick. That would be a real winner.

The Subliminal Orifice of Underlying World

Large clasp is much better than standard bracelet clasp. That is the main reason why I put the large clasp on my bracelet. One problem is that the bracelet tapers down to 20mm and the large clasp from the rubber is 22mm wide. I have used 4 1.8mmx1.1mm o-rings to fill the gaps. You can't even notice it and the set up is much more comfortable than original clasp. Had it this way for the last 8 or 9 years on my U1 with no issues at all. One think that you do lose with large clasp is micro-adjustment, so keep that in mind.

SnakeMan likes this.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

I am the ruler of the attunement to my inner self.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information