U1 Excellent Time Keeping Accuracy...

Thread: U1 Excellent Time Keeping Accuracy...

U1 Excellent Time Keeping Accuracy...

Having just received my 2nd "new to me" U1 in the last 3 months, I have to state that I'm very impressed with the time keeping accuracy. The U1 has been on my wrist since Monday evening and it's gained only 2 seconds in over 60 hours or +0.8 secs/day. That is just amazing accuracy for a mechanical watch. The first U1 I had was also keeping time at under +1 secs/day.

So the question begs is it the stock ETA movement or is Sinn doing something special to these movements to increase their accuracy. I have heard of the special cold temp oil Sinn uses on the U1/U2 series movement. Is there anything else?

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the U1 series time keeping accuracy.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by pugridiron
    Having just received my 2nd "new to me" U1 in the last 3 months, I have to state that I'm very impressed with the time keeping accuracy. The U1 has been on my wrist since Monday evening and it's gained only 2 seconds in over 60 hours or +0.8 secs/day. That is just amazing accuracy for a mechanical watch. The first U1 I had was also keeping time at under +1 secs/day.

So the question begs is it the stock ETA movement or is Sinn doing something special to these movements to increase their accuracy. I have heard of the special cold temp oil Sinn uses on the U1/U2 series movement. Is there anything else?

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the U1 series time keeping accuracy.
    Mine is nut on as well. The Watchtime article stated that Sinn used the best quality version of the ETA 2824-2 in the U1.

Re: U1 Excellent Time Keeping Accuracy...

All higher grade ETA movements can be adjusted to within Chronometer norms, it is only a matter of how much
    time a watch producer invests in adjusting their watches in different positions and Sinn does a good job.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: U1 Excellent Time Keeping Accuracy...

That's my take as well. Highest mechanical grade movement without decoration, Sinn special oil, and good adjusting, but no special parts like IWC and Breitling do.

Seeing the Sinn results of this approach as reported here, one wonders about the need for the special parts these companies take care to exchange for the original ones.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I will admit that my watch settled quite a bit after I got it. It was running about +4 per day and over a period of time settled to -5. It was very consistant, but it drove me nuts. So I bought a case opener and over a couple of day adjusted the timing screw back and forth and now the watch is as accurate any watch I've ever owned. I put it on the winder about 10 days ago and it's gained about 3 seconds in that span of time. I know I cannot be sure I have my 1000 meter water resistance any longer, but I did order a O-Ring speed lubricator with the Dow-Corning #7 silicone grease to be sure I got the best seal I could provide. I will get it pressure tested locally to 300 meters and that will be as good as I will ever need and then some. I cannot abide a watch losing time. Of course if I ever sell the watch I will make all of this info known, but I think I will be keeping this watch. It's just too cool to sell.

Thread Information