U1 problems

Thread: U1 problems

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U1 problems

Hello everybody,

I got a second hand U1 today. I noted that there are serveral very tidy dust like white dots on the surface of the crystal. I cannot remove them with camera lens cleaning cloth. It looks like they are beneath the surface of the crystal. I don't understand how this happened. The watch is supposed to be water proof. Does it mean the watch has been opened or is there any other explanation? Is there any way to deal with it? Anybody has similar experience?

Thanks

Re: U1 problems

Hi,

at one hand, the sapphire crystal with the AR coating is the most advantaged on the market (hardness of 1,800) vickers. It is nice and have a good look without reflections.

On the other hand this surface is a little bit "dirty look-alike". Sometime you can see water drops or other more...

If the surface will not going clean with normal detergens, like windows cleaning spray or so, it could be, that the AR coating is partielly damaged. Than you need a service at the Sinn factory in Frankfurt/Germany. I heard from one or two cases of this.

cheers
    U2inSpe

Moderator Emeritus

Hi Axe!! Welcome to the forum. I have a U2 and all I do to get rid of a day's worth of grime on the dial is run it through some water and then wipe with a paper towel or napkin. The abrasiveness of the napkin will remove whatever grime is on the crystal without scratching it. I have around 2300 hours of wear time on my U2 and have had the crystal pretty dirty at times. I have no scratches or blemishes at all so this method works quite well. Just take a napkin with you whereever you go.

If that won't clean it, chances are you have some dirt under the crystal and that usually means that the watch was opened!!

best of luck,
    Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I feel your pain. I likewise got a second hand U1 and paid a hefty price for it. I noticed immediately that the ar coating is scratched. The surface of the sapphire crystal is not but the ar is.

The seller said this watch had no scratches and was in excellent condition. There are scratches to the case, crystal and band!!

Needless to say I am very upset. I am trying to get a hold of the seller. He has posted on this forum. If I do not get a satisfactory resolution I will let you know who he is in the bad guys corner so that you don't get burned too!

I wonder who sold you yours!?? P.M. me.

Robert
    Damasko DA38, Marathon Gsar (medium)

Boy that sux Rob....
    I actually considered offering you mine while you were looking, in anticipation of a UX (If there really IS such a watch! lol).
    Mine is perfect in every way.
    Good luck to both of you.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Guys,

Thank U all for your feedback. I can live with the scratch on the AR coating. But the dust like dots (which look like they are beneath the crystal) are really getting under my skin.

Besides the watch has been opened, is there any other explanation?Anything I can do? If I am to send it back to Sinn for service, any idea on the charges?

Thanks

I was wondering if anybody knows of something like a polishing compound that will remove the anti-reflective coating from the top of the crystal. Instead of sending it back to Sinn to get re-coated. I would just like to remove it. There is an ar coating on te inside as well and I think that is enough.

Thanks R
    Damasko DA38, Marathon Gsar (medium)

the watch may not necessarily have been opened. i've heard from other collectors who received new watches (other brands) that had lint and dust on the inside of the crystal. it's 'inexcusable' but it's been known to happen.

thankfully, i never been bit by that problem. but yes, you would need to ship the watch to sinn or to an sinn authorized service center to have it cleaned.

goto the usps website to calculate shipping/insurance charges. safest way would be via registered insured mail but it will take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by axe8888
    Guys,

Thank U all for your feedback. I can live with the scratch on the AR coating. But the dust like dots (which look like they are beneath the crystal) are really getting under my skin.

Besides the watch has been opened, is there any other explanation?Anything I can do? If I am to send it back to Sinn for service, any idea on the charges?

Thanks
    Last edited by Denizen; August 15th, 2006 at 21:54.

i think i saw the FS thread. frankly, imo people are asking for ridiculously high prices for pre-owned U1's considering that change of ownership renders the AD's responsibility for warranty service null & void. (you have to deal directly with Sinn for warranty service.)

i have yet to see a U1 or a U2 priced right on most forums for me to consider it a good buy for a pre-owned piece. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla
    I feel your pain. I likewise got a second hand U1 and paid a hefty price for it. I noticed immediately that the ar coating is scratched. The surface of the sapphire crystal is not but the ar is.

The seller said this watch had no scratches and was in excellent condition. There are scratches to the case, crystal and band!!

Needless to say I am very upset. I am trying to get a hold of the seller. He has posted on this forum. If I do not get a satisfactory resolution I will let you know who he is in the bad guys corner so that you don't get burned too!

I wonder who sold you yours!?? P.M. me.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    i think i saw the FS thread. frankly, imo people are asking for ridiculously high prices for pre-owned U1's considering that change of ownership renders the AD's responsibility for warranty service null & void. (you have to deal directly with Sinn for warranty service.)

i have yet to see a U1 or a U2 priced right on most forums for me to consider it a good buy for a pre-owned piece. YMMV.
    That is what the scarcity of new inventory does to a hot watch series like the U1, U2, and UX. People will pay full price for a 2nd hand watch with no warranty just to have one. This 2nd hand pricing should drop considerablely later this year, assuming Sinn makes good on it's increased U-series production quantities in the fall.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information