U2 Accuracy Issues

Thread: U2 Accuracy Issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U2 Accuracy Issues

Hi I have had a U2 (which I love btw) for less than a year now. When I first got it. (I bought it used 1 mth old from its orig owner,worn once) When it got to me it was a minute and a half fast per day. I called Watch buys and they told me it was no longer warranteed as I was the second owner but if I sent it to Sinn in Germany they would fix it no charge.I did to the tune of $95 UPS Insured. 3 or 4 weeks later I get the watch back and wear it it was 4 sec slow, very acceptable.

I wear it every other day switching with my U1 (which I also love)
    I noticed a week or so ago it was getting slower. I checked it over 4 days and its now 8 sec slow. I am beggining to have a problem with this. Heres a $2200 watch less than a year old not functioning correctly to my mind.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think if I sent it to Sinn they would probobly fix it but you know its getting old putting out $95 shipping to Germany evry year to get this sucker adjusted. Jim

Re: U2 Accuracy Issues

I'm not such a seconds per day man, but this kind of accuracy is acceptable for a non cosc regulated watch.
    Most of us have better performances out of the U-series, but do the 10 sec a day owners also post?
    My brother has a 656 for four years now, and has a constant 9 sec a day out of it.
    If the watch performs erratic, this is not good, but if it stays at that 8 sec a day, it's up to you if you do except that.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by suburude
    Hi I have had a U2 (which I love btw) for less than a year now. When I first got it. (I bought it used 1 mth old from its orig owner,worn once) When it got to me it was a minute and a half fast per day. I called Watch buys and they told me it was no longer warranteed as I was the second owner but if I sent it to Sinn in Germany they would fix it no charge.I did to the tune of $95 UPS Insured. 3 or 4 weeks later I get the watch back and wear it it was 4 sec slow, very acceptable.

I wear it every other day switching with my U1 (which I also love)
    I noticed a week or so ago it was getting slower. I checked it over 4 days and its now 8 sec slow. I am beggining to have a problem with this. Heres a $2200 watch less than a year old not functioning correctly to my mind.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think if I sent it to Sinn they would probobly fix it but you know its getting old putting out $95 shipping to Germany evry year to get this sucker adjusted. Jim
    The two U2's that I have owned briefly over the past 6 months have both had poor time keeping accuracy, as well as GMT hand failures. Many others here and elsewhere have commented on similar U2 performace issues.

There is no doubt the U2 is a beautiful and unique divers watch. But's it's these performance problems for a $2200 value watch that make it less actractive to own than many other divers watches.

IMHO, Sinn needs to look to address these issues in subsequent revisions of this U2 watch.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

I own my U2 since exactly for 3 weeks. After the first week, it works perfectly with an accuracy of 100% ( means: 0 sec. for 8 days - see my posting with picture). After this we get a big heating in Germany (= summer) and the watch lost within a short time (no observation) many seconds. Now it is constant within 1-2 sec. per day. Over all the time (3 weeks) it runs now 32 seconds at minus.

Perhaps german summer are not so long (like Florida e.g.) I think, the watch come down next time to a "normal" difference.

cheers
    U2inSpe from Germany (near SINN factory)

hopefully other sinn owners can post their experiences. i'm curious if this is a frequent occurence for many U2 owners or it is just for a small portion. i don't meaure the accurancy of my automatics on a regular basis but i'll check the time on the u2 over the next 7 days and see how it compares.

the eta 2893 is a common movement. if sinn regulates each watch after their assemby, this deviance is even more of a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by pugridiron
    The two U2's that I have owned briefly over the past 6 months have both had poor time keeping accuracy, as well as GMT hand failures. Many others here and elsewhere have commented on similar U2 performace issues.

There is no doubt the U2 is a beautiful and unique divers watch. But's it's these performance problems for a $2200 value watch that make it less actractive to own than many other divers watches.

IMHO, Sinn needs to look to address these issues in subsequent revisions of this U2 watch.

if sinn regulates each watch after their assemby,
    Yes, that the one think (like COSC certificate) - its theoreticall.

At various wearing a watch the accuracy will be much different. And additional comes temperature and other ouside conditions. And normally watches run slower in summer times (and a litlle bit faster in cold winters).

My opinion: A real mechanic watch lover dont buy such a watch ref. accuracy. This is the advantage from Quartz watches. But they have no life. But the joyce for mech. watches should not be get a frustration referring total bad accuracy. Good and expansive watches should be run minimum < 10 seconds + or -. But + is normal and better. As we all know, the U2 is a very superb watch with many technical features - but one skill is a big minus, if the movement runs wide off: No local watchmaker can "tune" it. And for our friends extreme far away from SINN Frankfurt, it is not a small problem for you. You lost time and money for shipping rate. But if you buy this german watch nevertheless - you are cool, man. B-)

cheers
    U2inSpe

Moderator Emeritus

Wise words U2. If I may add, these watches are checked and monitored and if need be tuned to acceptable accuracy rates and then shipped from Sinn with dial and hands on and installed in the case. They will be handled by man and machine before you get your hands on it due to shipping and transportation and the inevitable customs stops. The closer you live to Frankfurt, the less chance it has been banged or dropped or been exposed to a magnetic field. For us guys living oceans apart, the risk of forces acting upon our watches which might change the accuracy or damage the movement in some way increases.

The rest of your ownership experience is like U2inSpe has stated in the previous post.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    hopefully other sinn owners can post their experiences. i'm curious if this is a frequent occurence for many U2 owners or it is just for a small portion. i don't meaure the accurancy of my automatics on a regular basis but i'll check the time on the u2 over the next 7 days and see how it compares.

the eta 2893 is a common movement. if sinn regulates each watch after their assemby, this deviance is even more of a mystery.
    Denizen, check out the U series ownership experience thread..it's a sticky at the top of the page. Lots of ownership experiences there.

well I can't really complain about my U2 right now.
    going a very constant +3sec/24hrs and that over a period of 14-20 days
    that's very good - at least for me that's very acceptable.

but i have to state:
    accuracy at the beginning was also poor. some +6sec/24hrs.
    but after some 2 months (after revision) the U2 keeps the +3sec

I am a little puzzled over the issue of accuracy as well. We all buy the Sinn U2 knowing well it is a mechanical watch and hence should not be too concerned with the issue of "accuracy", unlike a digital watch.

I am sure those who are into watches knows better that as long as it keeps good time, ie. within 10 sec a month variation and the watch is keeping time consistently, it should not bother anyone.

A watch is an expression of one-self over an above the fact that it tells time B-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information