U2 - not as robust/tough as I thought

Thread: U2 - not as robust/tough as I thought

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

U2 - not as robust/tough as I thought

as quite a few of you probably know, I am owning a Sinn U2 which I bought around dec 19 2005.

So far I really loved that watch (and still do) and was taken by its accuracy (+2sec/day max.), how well it fits my wrist and simply the looks of it.

However, on saturday (I was on business trip in Cologne) I started hearing some noise from the inner case. metal grinding on metal and some clanking (as if a spring broke or fell loose).

so today I called Frankfurt and agreed to send my U2 for being serviced.
    now i am wondering when i'll get my U2 back and what really went wrong.

right now i am a bit disappointed, as I really considered the U2 to be quite sturdy and able to take some "blows". now the watch needs to be repaired even before i used it outdoors...

keeping you up-to-date on what's happening

greetings

Re: U2 - not as robust/tough as I thought

Quote Originally Posted by stetre76
    as quite a few of you probably know, I am owning a Sinn U2 which I bought around dec 19 2005.

So far I really loved that watch (and still do) and was taken by its accuracy (+2sec/day max.), how well it fits my wrist and simply the looks of it.

However, on saturday (I was on business trip in Cologne) I started hearing some noise from the inner case. metal grinding on metal and some clanking (as if a spring broke or fell loose).

right now i am a bit disappointed, as I really considered the U2 to be quite sturdy and able to take some "blows". now the watch needs to be repaired even before i used it outdoors...

greetings

Hi stetre,

first of all, I can understand that you are concerned about your watch. But this is your first post here and even you donīt know what it is, you affirm this watch not to be robust ? In my oppinion you could frame the headline a bit more facts based. Itīs just to raise attention.

For example it could come from the metal spacer ring. They love to be a bit loose. Donīt get me wrong I donīt want to affront you but donīt write such a headline without knowing what is going on.
    Welcome to the forum ! B-)
    regards oyster

Yes, pse keep us posted of what went wrong with your U2.

Like Oyster, I am a little concerned how you have titled this thread as well B-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oyster
    Hi stetre,

first of all, I can understand that you are concerned about your watch. But this is your first post here and even you donīt know what it is, you affirm this watch not to be robust ? In my oppinion you could frame the headline a bit more facts based. Itīs just to raise attention.

For example it could come from the metal spacer ring. They love to be a bit loose. Donīt get me wrong I donīt want to affront you but donīt write such a headline without knowing what is going on.
    Welcome to the forum ! B-)
    regards oyster
    actually it's my first post after the relaunch of the forums.
    before the crash i've already been active here...so it's not really my first post....

as to the facts - the facts simply are that something came loose within the case, that i didn't really expect that to happen, least of all with a Sinn and even the service people at Sinn weren't too surprised when I told them what kind of sounds the watch is making.
    the most likely scenarios:
    either the rotor is a bit loose or a spring broke (either way the watch should better be service - response from Sinn)

greetings
    Yours is not the first U2 sent back during the first few months of life outside the factory. I too had a U2 purchased from a WatchUSeek member that experience a movement problem, which caused the minute hand to stick. Fortunately, the member who sold me the watch bought it back and sent it on to Sinn HQ for repairs. I have not as of yet heard the resolution of the problem.

The "infant mortality" on the U2 appears to be quite high at present time. I think the U1 with it's less complex movement is fairing better in the reliability catagory at this point. But it's early and things may change.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

as to the facts - the facts simply are that something came loose within the case, that i didn't really expect that to happen, least of all with a Sinn and even the service people at Sinn weren't too surprised when I told them what kind of sounds the watch is making.
    I think a misunderstanding arose as some members though that your thread title implied that a part had been knocked lose, and that the U2 was therefore not tough. As it is, the malfunction in your watch may have been a mechanical fault or poor quality control, or any combination of causes possibly unrelated to the toughness or robustness of the watch.

But regardless of the thread title, the important point is that something has happened to your watch that shouldn't have happened, and Sinn should do well to show due concern and see to a speedy repair.

Please keep us posted.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

RLS

Well I have to chime in here. I am new to this great forum and a proud owner of a new U1. I feel that the title is appropriate for what happened to this new watch. Remember that we all paid over $1,000 for these watches and in the case of the U2 over $2,000 so the expectation of these watches to perform and be robust is high. I own many watches some much more expensive than my new U1 and I have very high expectations of them. I looked down at a new Sea-Dweller on my arm a few years back and saw no second hand moving! I shook it a few times and nothing, it was dead! I cannot explain how angry I was with that $4,700 lump of stainless steel sitting on my arm. Any watch that is deemed a professional watch as with the U series, Submariner or Sea-Dweller have to live up to a higher standard because they are a tool. But needless to say Sinn's fail, Rolex's fail and even at a Six Sigma level we should expect that a certain percentage will fail. My point is, the title was very appropriate for what occurred with this particular watch and this title was much kinder than my post on Time Zone when my Sea-Dweller failed completely. In closing this is what makes a good forum, people’s views, concerns, and comments. We all share a very common link which is a passion for great watches (Sinn’s). We just get a little cranky when they do not live up to our personal expectations.

Best Regards

Robert....

Moderator Emeritus

I understand what you are saying and yes, there is some expectation that your expensive watch will run problem free for a long time, but this watch, like all automatic watches...is a machine. There are many moving parts working at the same time. Any machine can, at any time, break down. It's far less likely that this will happen when the machine is new, but it does happen.

That being said, Sinn does not make the movement. ETA does, and Sinn puts the movements into their case. Sinn doesn't have complete quality control over ETA and is not there to make sure that every movement has been tested and stamped Sinn ready! They will tune the movement and run it for a while to be sure everything works perfectly and then build the watch around it.

What makes the U2 so expensive and robust is the sub steel case which is expensive to buy and more expensive to machine and polish. The crystal which is domed and 4.6mm thick, meaning that the blanc is very large and thick...read: very expensive and then there are the grinding procedures which are expensive. The stay-dry tech adds a few buck to the package also. The weak link in the U2 is the movement as it is not in-house and quality control can't be Sinn monitored. They can only test a few movements and must take ETA's word that the finished product delivered to Sinn is ready to go.

I'm not too sure how this works but I believe, that Sinn like most companies will tweak and tune the movement to COSC specs and they add their patented oil to it. They temperature and pressure test the watch.

Yes, I would be upset, very upset!! but I would also take into consideration that it's a delivered ETA movement. That doesn't make the watch any less robust. What makes the U2 robust is the case, crystal, gaskets, special oils and stay-dry tech. Sinn buys the best movement it can get and sticks into the Sinn U2 package.

If my case would crack, or if the gaskets were compromised out of the gate, or if the crystal cracks, or a lug breaks off or a lug hole rounds out, I would definitely be mad and would question the robustness of the U2. This didn't happen. The motor went. That can happen with any machine you buy, regardless of price. A Hummer H1 is an extremely robust machine but it has a 6.5l diesel engine. The same engine used in a 3/4 ton chevy truck. Two very different vehicles. The Hummer is a 3/4 ton on steroids with a very robust suspension package among other things. If the engine blows, that doesn't mean that the H1 isn't robust, it means that the engine delivered to Hummer is faulty.

I would trust Sinn to be very pro-active in addressing your U2 problem.

I still donīt get the headline ! Robust means you put your watch thru something and it gets broken. If the movement doesnīt run it is sad but an ETA quality problem. Sinn is getting the theETA 2893-2 pre-oiled, that means the just put the watch together.
    What I also donīt get is the point that this is an expensive watch and it has to be 100%. Ok I also want a perfect watch, but in 22 years of buying expensive watches I never found a 100% watch. Why ? Because they are made by men.
    O|
    And where does this theory lead ? A more expensive watch is closer to 100%
    You are absolutely WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, this is a dead end.
    I had painful experience with this theory !
    Patek wasnīt nearly close to 100%, IWC reached 70%, Panerai ,Omega ......, the best match still is Rolex, I would give them a 95 but the rest of Brands is just a good IMAGE you get for your money.
    But we are here in a Sinn Forum and I think even Sinn is far away from perfection, BUT they try very very hard to make a good job for little money. Fair and square to me !
    :gold
    regards oyster B-)
    Last edited by oyster; March 22nd, 2006 at 16:27.

That stinks about your Sea-dweller. There was a thread on TZ that talked about various mechanical problems and I believe there was an Omega mentioned. I think it could happen with any watch from any watchmaker, whether it's a lot of money or not.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information