UX Hydro battery
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By nodnar
  • 1 Post By farmerboy
  • 1 Post By farmerboy
  • 4 Post By Geof3

Thread: UX Hydro battery

UX Hydro battery

The UX series is such a nice looking line of watches. I personally find it baffling that something as simple as a battery change can only be done one place
    in the entire world. In the year 2018 it is difficult to imagine that Sinn can not engineer a sealed battery compartment that would allow easy exchanges.
    It would be fairly simple to have a screw in/out battery compartment cover on the watches back cover. I think this would increase sales.

Are there issues that prevent Sinn from allowing repair facilities on other continents from doing the battery exchanges? Other than their own policy?

Re: UX Hydro battery

I can't imagine an external battery compartment which wouldn't compromise the overall integrity of the watch, but if anyone could do it Sinn could.

Well it’s full of oil. They take advantage of the incompressibility of this oil by designing the case to equalize the external and internal pressures with a piston in the case back. Meaning during a dive, the watch does not resist the pressure, rather all the insides just take it.

This means that a dedicated battery compartment would need to be sealed AND pressure proof. This would complicate the design. I assume it would be impracticable due to space constraints inside the case.

As an owner, I decided up front that I could live with a servicing in Germany every 7 years. Meanwhile I secretly hope that RGM may be able to service these oil filled watches some day.

For now, as I understand, the best case is a $500 (including shipping) two month service every 7 years.

The UX is unique and cool, but requires special service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tanjecterly, simonp67 and Topdude like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A watch made by Ressence is part oil filled and has a sealed mechanical/automatic movement.
    It is only rated to 100 meters so is not a true dive watch. But the sealed & non-sealed parts are part of why I wondered if Sinn could do the same if they wanted.
    Oil changes volume as it changes temperature so I admit there are things beyond my knowledge.

The UX is indeed unique and cool.
    Because it is desirable, it frustrates me that there is only one repair room in this entire world that has the one and only tools to change the battery.
    I sometimes wish my tastes ran to $35 Casio's.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

I hope I didn’t come off wrong.

I just meant that Sinn is using oil to achieve a 5000m rating in watch that is not thick and bulky by accepting the pressure rather than resisting it. I do hope that RGM can service it some day.

I remember reading about those Ressence watches, very cool. I think they even had a demo phone app.

Best Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you said it just fine. The truth is I do not have a working knowledge of this type science but do know a little about things mechanical.
    My knowledge is so limited on things such as water pressure at depth and oil pressures etc.
    I do appreciate the discussion. Thank you!
    nodnar likes this.

The concept of oil placed in the case allows the depth rating to be very deep as it keeps the case from being crushed under pressure. The depth rating is actually much less than the actual waterproofing of the case. The depth rating is based on what (battery for one) and other components would crush at the rated depth, due to tiny amounts of air within the quartz movement. The case filled with oil would withstand water penetration, and collapse (maybe) at much, much deeper depths. This is also why the case back is expandable. It would be impossible to create a separate dry battery chamber that would come close to being able to withstand the pressures at such depths. It would need to be oil filled as well, and negate the whole thing.

Regarding the battery change. It takes 20 hours to properly fill a UX (any Hydro) to be certain all possible air is out of the case. The job is done by highly trained personnel at Sinn in a (literally) secret lab. Consider it the black ops of the watch world. It is a highly specialized process, hence the reason it isn’t done anywhere else.
    Last edited by Geof3; August 13th, 2018 at 08:13.
    simonp67, ten13th, Topdude and 1 others like this.
    Too many flipped...

Thread Information