UX and Hydro watch models Hypothetical
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: UX and Hydro watch models Hypothetical

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UX and Hydro watch models Hypothetical

Up for discussion is the viability of self service on a Sinn oil filled watch.
    I think I would enjoy owning a Sinn quartz watch, but for whatever silly and stubborn reasons I have, I just won't send it back to Germany for a battery change.
    Sending it back is not an option and will not be considered.

So, what would happen if a UX was opened, completely drained, cleaned and then reassembled? Would it run?
    Sinn and articles I have read state that the oil causes the watch to be more legible especially under water and not crushed at great diving depths.
    For this posting, I believe a UX would have suitable legibility without the oil and I rarely dive to depths greater than 300 meters (actually 1 meter is my record) which is easily reached with a normal run of the mill dive watch.

So, why would the UX not run without any oil in it?

2nd question. Why not change my own battery and refill the watch with 100% silicon oil myself? Would worst case would be a bubble that may be annoying?
    Several posts speak of the factory fill being silicon oil, so if very carefully opened and refilled, what could go wrong?

I know that is remote that anyone has tried this and we are all speaking from opinion and guessing, so let me hear your ideas. And if anyone finds a great deal on a used UX and wants to try this. please let us know your results.

Re: UX and Hydro watch models Hypothetical

The oil does not do anything for the UX to run properly. Rather, it is for depth stabilization and visibility. If you take the oil out you lose the depth rating/ability of the UX to withstand the insane depth rating it has and still function and you lose the ability to read the dial at almost any angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Topdude and brandon\ like this.
    Ginault 180260GSLN (Serial #TE111) and Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

I have often wondered the same things. Will you do them and let us all know please.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have been watching for a used one that has some age on it.
    Knowing that there is a chance of ruining the watch is what keeps me from jumping on it.

I wish the UX was ugly, then I would have no interest in it.

I'm not sure if there's something special about the silicon oil they use, but apparently one of the early oils caused the Superluminova material to decay in some fashion. That said, I've seen 2nd hand UX's for sale that were devoid of oil - they were purported to run fine, but in my mind, that defeats much of the reason for getting a UX in the first place.

Not certain but the early oil may have been Teflon based.

Browsing the net turned up a place called replica hause (dot) IS.
    They sell a UX replica with a genuine ETA 25 jewel automatic movement.
    I never thought of putting an automatic movement in a quartz watch. Maybe that is easier than removing the oil?
    roll eyes inserted here

You do know other watch companies (Breitling) use the same movement without oil. AsI wrote earlier, the oil is not for the movement. It is for the extreme pressure rating and visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Topdude likes this.
    Ginault 180260GSLN (Serial #TE111) and Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

Those 2 items seem to be the only benefits that Sinn identifies.

I did not know that other companies use the same movement. That is interesting.
    I wonder if the UX would run fast once the oils resistance is removed. The "famous" UX second hand bounce should disappear.
    Thank you

No it will not run any faster or slower. The crustal they use is a super quartz crustal. Temperature compensated as well. It will regulate itself accordingly.
    The quartz is really high quality. It will run perfectly with or without the oil.

Well, the biggest thing you do is destroy the value of the watch. There is more to the service in Germany than a simple battery change. They go through the watch completely, change gaskets etc. possibly change hands and dial (they did on mine) they make sure it is all up to snuff then go through the process of refilling the oil, which, BTW is no simple task. They have a specially trained department to do it.

Would the watch run without the oil? Sure, but good luck cleaning the old oil out of every nook and cranny... if it were a $30.00 Timex it might be worth the shot. But, considering the service interval is 7ish years, and not particularly expensive, it doesn’t make much sense to me to destroy the value of the watch and the entire point of the Hydro watches. YMMV...
    Too many flipped...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information