WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

UX ownership exp. update 7 1/2 years later....pics

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Geof3 
#1 ·
Hello, me again.

I guess it's time for a UX update. It's been years since I've done one on my UX. I think this might be a bit interesting for uninteresting reasons.

I procurred my UX through a good friend here on the forum. Marcus did some research and found one for me in Germany when there were none to be had. This was a 2005 and all the stars came into alignment and I was able to slip this beauty on my wrist in the summer of 2006. A new metal bracelet was waiting for it and this became the sole configuration for me.

Over the years, I was wearing my U2 at a 5-1 ratio. The UX was worn when I went out driving and usually in a relaxing situation where there was minimal risk of harm to the watch. I liked the way the dial and hands refracted at extreme angles due to the silicon oil filling. Driving with your hand on the top of the steering wheel meant almost no hand movement to find the time with this baby. It was extremely cool. The dial was jet black and very uncluttered and probably the cleanest look I've seen in a watch.

Over the last five years, I really didn't throw it on much, It got approximately 500 hours of wear over the last 4 years or so. There's no scratching or dents or anything on it. It's pretty much showroom. Where there is no smudging on the crystal of the U2, there is considerable smudging on the UX. It's easily done and for a lot of people this is quite problematic. It was for me too at first and at times, other watches were selected for the daily wear over this but as time went on, and the honeymoon faded, it wasn't so much of a problem and I found that wearing it leisurely didn't generate conditions for smudging. I usually wear it in the summer months. I have no issues now with the smudging, it's quite ok.

With a clean crystal, this watch is spectacular. Very classy. The oil makes the entire black dial a sea of jet black and there can be no discerning of microscopic variations of the dial. Again, I absolutely love the refraction which is only possible with this kind of watch. Wonderfull optical illusion!! Clean, classy and very testosterronial.

Over the years, I have not really noticed any dulling of the white markers. Maybe if I had a new one to compare, it would be more noticeable. I'm quite fine with it.

The really big thing is this. This is a 8 year old watch and there is still juice to run it. It still runs and is very accurate. Not sure exactly how accurate but it's not showing up on my radar if you know what I mean. I was told or have been led to believe that the battery will run for about 7 years. So far so good.

Here's a few quick and dirty pics. I'm sure there is lots of pics out there in cyberland to show the refraction of the dial, the beautiful optical illusion and I know a put a lot up including underwater videos. This thing is incredible underwater. Viewable from all angles. So, again, some Tim Hortons shots.

Anyway, all for now. Take care,
Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Cool! Mine is a 'first gen' and is still going strong. Definitely gets worn, pretty much daily, but looks no worse for wear except for the clasp. The markers have, what I call a patina... The oil has definitely discolored them. Not sure if I will have it replaced or not when it does finally die. It gives it some character. Not signs yet of death, though... So, onward we go!

#7 ·
Upon further review.....>

I've been wearing my UX for a few days now, off and on, and took it in the shower, not realizing it was still strapped to my wrist and ....

I've developed a little bubble, about the diameter of a 5 min. hash marker. When I strap it on and wear it for about 10 minutes, it goes away. It's only there in the morning when I first reach for it. Once on my way it's gone. Gotta admit, it's kinda cool. Like the old Monks song: "I've got a bubble in my watch and I don't know what to do with it...bubble in my watch...bubble in my watch" No big deal. When the power gives out, I'll send my watch to Germany and that will be that.

I remember years back, there were people here who were none too happy with the smudging and were contemplating having the outer a/r removed. I can't remember how all of this played out but I too would be very interested in seeing some pics of the UX sans outer coating.

I've been thinking a bit about this little baby. I've had it all this time and definitely thought it was cool but didn't really start digging it till recently. I think it's the ultimate watch (minus the smudging). The pics speak for itself. Love that refraction and how the dial is just inky jet black and as Alan states, the date just appears with no signs of the window. My friends actually like this over the U2.

Regards,

Tim

#10 ·
Tim, you mention "when the power gives out". Yours is a 2005, still the original battery? I'm wondering what the original battery life will be. It was supposed to be 7 years I think. I have a UX from 07, and I've been thinking the battery may go at any time. It would be nice to think I may have a few more years. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.