I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 556i on bracelet, but I wanted to start this thread to make sure I've done my due diligence. I'll tell you why I think the 556i is the choice for me, and if you could tell me if there is anything out there with similar characteristics that I'm missing, that would be awesome.
I love the 556i because:
- it it unassuming and has more "cattle under its hat" than it boasts from its appearance and name recognition.
- it will fly under the radar -- nobody at work or in my personal life will have any clue that it's a solid piece of watchmaking technology.
- it is under 40mm
- it comes on bracelet
- it will be as comfortable at work on the days I have to wear suits as it will on the days I don't, and it'll be equally as comfortable on the weekends if needed.
- it has a simply-designed face and makes its design more out of its function than its form (to my eyes).
- it has a date window.
- it's under $1500.
Damasko doesn't fit the bill simply because they're too sporty for what I want (otherwise I'd go the 556a route).
The Certina DS looks really good, but it doesn't hit me the same way the 556i does.
I don't like the Archimede Outdoor because I'm not big on cushion cases.
A brief bit about the watches I already have (they're eclectic as they come from various places/people as gifts and purchases)
- 2 Tag F1s
- Hamilton Khaki Field 42mm
- Hamilton Thinline silver dial quartz
- Longines heritage 1938
- Edox WRC classic quartz
- Seiko SARB 017
- Orient Blue Ray
- BMW Motorsports ICE Watch (Wittman DTM Champ!)
So knowing all of that, is there anything else I should cross-shop, or have I narrowed it down to the 556i fairly well?