What movement is in the 556?

Thread: What movement is in the 556?

What movement is in the 556?

Hey,

I was wondering what movement is in the 556? I have heard that the lower serial #s like the first 100 or so have a better than the rest.I am wondering because in the last 4 days my sinn 556 has gained a total of 1 sec. And mine is #17. Any info on the movement in the watch would be great. Thanks

Justin

Re: What movement is in the 556?

Have a look in "the 556 thread", I'm pretty sure the differences are discussed there.

It's an ETA-2824 movement, but there's some speculation that the first batch(es) used a higher "grade" movement than the rest...
    1950's Heuer Triple Date | Heuer Carrera 1153N | Heuer Carrera Re-Edition | Tag Heuer Carrera "Jack Heuer 40 Years"
    Storage: Wolf Designs Double Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by shaun.o View Post
    It's an ETA-2824 movement, but there's some speculation that the first batch(es) used a higher "grade" movement than the rest...
    I was not aware that there was any speculation at all about the 556. I understood that Sinn was always up-front in stating that the lower-priced 556 has always had the mid-grade (Elabore) of the ETA 2824 in the 556. Sinn used to maintain that the 656 had the higher grade (Top) 2824 movement, but then they quietly substituted the cheaper Elabore in "a batch" of 656's at the same price they charged for the Top grade, but would not provide any info on the serial numbers of that "batch," claiming they do not keep such records by serial number. (I am skeptical of a German company who claims not to keep such records--not to have the papers, please.) I have not followed the Sinn threads for awhile, but given the ambiguity of their word "batch," and the absence of serial number info from Sinn, there is no way to tell when you're paying full price for the 656 what grade you're getting--if that matters to you.

With the 556, my understanding is that you always can count on getting the middle Elabore grade.

hth,

Brad
    Last edited by bradleyb; August 12th, 2008 at 01:14.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Either way I am VERY impressed with my sinn 556. It has gained a total of 3 sec in 4 weeks. No regulating, just wrist time and some time on my winder. I am torn between buying another Sinn or an Omega.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Omega227 View Post
    Either way I am VERY impressed with my sinn 556. It has gained a total of 3 sec in 4 weeks. No regulating, just wrist time and some time on my winder. I am torn between buying another Sinn or an Omega.
    -That's quite impressive; congratulations on finding a watch which apparently was perfectly in tune with your wearing habits. :)

As for the Sinn-or-Omega lament, I had the same 'problem' (Now, if that's the most serious problem I have, I should consider myself fortunate...) some time ago - should I purchase the U2 I'd wanted for quite some time, or rather go for a PlanetOcean which my local Omega AD could offer at a very, very decent price?

In the end, I went with the PlanetOcean, which has proved over the last few months to be the most accurate mechanical timepiece I own - back home in Norway, it is gaining less than .5 seconds a day, whereas in the slightly warmer climate of the Congo, my current whereabouts, it is dead on.

I've been here for two weeks, now, and my PO is still spot on when compared to the GPS clock on the bridge.

Anyway, I digress. The point I started off trying to make is that no matter what you choose, you're making an excellent choice - be it an Omega or a Sinn. If a good deal comes along on your desired model from either brand - grab it. :)
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

Thread Information